collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188783 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #435 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
This remains one of the best saves i've ever seen.

Yep.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #436 on: December 15, 2014, 01:09:57 PM »
Even from where I was in the Lower North it looked in all the way. Only save I can think of that was possibly better was Bosnich in the FA Cup against Cov when we lost 1-0 at VP. He seemed to change direction in mid air, I still don't know how he did it!

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #437 on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:32 PM »
Not read any of this thread but my take on Guzan is how much better he has looked since Given has been back on the bench....thought he had a dodgy spell last season whilst Given was out on loan & Steer was zero competition....maybe a coincidence?

Offline supertom

« Reply #438 on: December 15, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »

Yep.
Reminiscent of Bosnich against Sunderland in the Coca Cola in 93-94. Bossie was astonishing in that game.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #439 on: December 15, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »

Yep.
Reminiscent of Bosnich against Sunderland in the Coca Cola in 93-94. Bossie was astonishing in that game.

He swam through the air like Billy The Fish.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #440 on: December 15, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »

That must be the most one sided 4-1 defeat game in history. They could have had 7 or 8 and we probably only had 4 attacks and scored with all of them.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #441 on: December 15, 2014, 03:00:36 PM »

rubbish ! should of caught it ;)

UTV
the Doc

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #442 on: December 15, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »
How not to treat your keeper. Imagine his confidence now?

Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has been dropped "indefinitely", says Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers.

Brad Jones replaced Belgian Mignolet for Sunday's 3-0 defeat against Manchester United and the Australian will retain his place for Wednesday's Capital One Cup tie at Bournemouth.

"I felt I had to change it because we have to find solutions throughout the squad to be better," said Rodgers.

"I said to Simon that it's for an indefinite period."

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #443 on: December 15, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »
How not to treat your keeper. Imagine his confidence now?

Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has been dropped "indefinitely", says Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers.

Brad Jones replaced Belgian Mignolet for Sunday's 3-0 defeat against Manchester United and the Australian will retain his place for Wednesday's Capital One Cup tie at Bournemouth.

"I felt I had to change it because we have to find solutions throughout the squad to be better," said Rodgers.

"I said to Simon that it's for an indefinite period."

His replacement wasn't much better yesterday. He dived the wrong way for Man Utd's opening goal.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #444 on: December 15, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »

Yep.
Top notch goalkeeping.  That save the other day against Leicester was brilliant too.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #445 on: December 15, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »
When we first signed Shay it looked a good move
Signing Shay Given on a five year deal never looked like a good move in any way, shape or form.

Why?  At that point he was considered one of the top keepers in the league. Surely, you are not playing the age game, you know that doesn't matter so much with keepers.

I still don't see apart from Saturday where else Brad has cost us points this season.  The mistake against the Foxes wasn't really a mistake, but even if it was we still went on to win.  He won us the points against Palace with some impressive saves.  And I don't remember many mistakes in the games before that.  He is one of the best keepers in the league.  Yes he has made a few mistakes but so does everyone.  This is one of the biggest over reactions I have seen on this site.  You should all be ashamed off yourselves!

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #446 on: December 15, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
He does seem to have lost a bit of confidence.  His kicking has never been his strong point but it seems to have gone to pot recently.  He does not seem to be able to get the ball out from under his feet and then looks rushed into kicking it out.  Whether he would be better trying to kick it out of hand more.  Kicking is something that can be coached and continual practice can improve it considerably.

I also think he should be trying to throw the ball out earlier.  He looks at times as though he wants to hold onto the ball and then start with a set play, rather than get some continuity into the game.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #447 on: December 15, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
He is still quite young for a keeper.  The hope is that his kicking will improve over time.  Not saying he is flawless but it would be hard to attract any better right now.  The good still far out weighs the bad for me.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #448 on: December 15, 2014, 07:41:05 PM »
When we first signed Shay it looked a good move
Signing Shay Given on a five year deal never looked like a good move in any way, shape or form.

Why?  At that point he was considered one of the top keepers in the league. Surely, you are not playing the age game, you know that doesn't matter so much with keepers.
I've never considered him anything than a solid, mid-table keeper. He's always been flawed, even at his absolute peak. He excels at shot-stopping, but has always had issues with coming for crosses, positioning and organising his defence.

He has to make great saves that a better goalkeeper wouldn't have had to make. In the same way as a central defender can look amazing by putting in a last-ditch slide tackle, but the better central defender doesn't need to be in that position in the first place.

As for the age, keepers can play longer than outfield players, but that doesn't mean you give a 35 year old a contract for five years. You give them one for two or three years and then if they are still good enough you give them another one. And we're not talking about "plays every game for ten years" Brad Friedel, we're talking about somebody who had three or four serious injuries in the few seasons prior to us signing him.

I said at the time that we should have been playing Guzan rather than signing Given, and nothing over the last four years has made me change my mind.  Forget about a 28 year old Guzan over a 38 year old Given, I'd take a 28 year old Guzan over a 28 year old Given.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:43:20 PM by Dave »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #449 on: December 15, 2014, 09:01:02 PM »
There isnt that many decent keepers in the league really. Mignolet is in the spotlight at the moment but Southampton spent 10m on Fraser Forster who really is useless.

De Gea, Courtois, Lloris, Begovic probably the best four. Hart has dropped back over the last couple of years. Guzan is in the chasing pack along with the likes of Speroni.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal