collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188796 times)

Offline Archie

Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
Brad is so brave and improved until he became the outstanding keeper that he is now, , he reminds me a keeper that I loved although didn't play for the Villa, the Evertonian Neville Southall.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #286 on: September 22, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
Another outstanding performance yesterday, he's really taking control of his defence now. Only concern is that one of the CL teams will be sniffing around him soon.

Here we go... I've no concern about that at all.  I've listened to Guzan in interviews and it strikes me that he feels part of a "project" that is going places.  I'd be amazed if he didn't want to stick with Villa and see the club get back on top.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #287 on: September 22, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
The biggest compliment I can pay him is that he is the only goalkeeper I watch come off his line and know that he is going to come and CATCH it. No punching, no flapping, the man is a beast.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #288 on: September 22, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
Another outstanding performance yesterday, he's really taking control of his defence now. Only concern is that one of the CL teams will be sniffing around him soon.

Here we go... I've no concern about that at all.  I've listened to Guzan in interviews and it strikes me that he feels part of a "project" that is going places.  I'd be amazed if he didn't want to stick with Villa and see the club get back on top.

The good thing about one of your best players being a goalkeeper is the lack of transfer options for a player in that position. All of the CL chasing clubs are sorted for keepers apart from Arsenal and firstly Arsene probably thinks they are sorted and secondly he doesn't buy good goalkeepers.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »

The good thing about one of your best players being a goalkeeper is the lack of transfer options for a player in that position. All of the CL chasing clubs are sorted for keepers apart from Arsenal and firstly Arsene probably thinks they are sorted and secondly he doesn't buy good goalkeepers.

Well there's rumours that Cech is leaving Chelsea at the end of the season.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »

There were rumours that Lampard was as well and he's still there. Just try and enjoy the win without linking our players away.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2013, 12:07:38 PM »
He showed what a good keeper he was last season to save many points for us (QPR, home for example) and to perform so well in a struggling side and in front of such a terrible back four.

He is the perfect age now as he has had a decent amount of experience but as a keeper still has his best years ahead of him.  Think he was unlikely when he first joined the club as Friedel was at the peak of his powers, but now I can seem him being our number one and just getting better for many years to come.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
It's funny, watching the game yesterday and at the end they announced the MOTM as Guzan, I thought that's a fair assessment.  Then after the match they said that he only had to make two saves.  Granted, a lot of his good work was coming off his line and generally catching safely but I do think that the centre of defence has improved on last season.  Vlaar will never be a real top class player but I think his experience is starting to show now. 

Limiting Norwich to two shots on target (one a penalty) was the key to the victory yesterday.  However, Norwich did play into our hands yesterday in the second half by constantly putting high balls into the box and that is where Brad came into his own.  Norwich looked to be at their most dangerous when they played the ball in behind Luna but their low crossing was mainly cut out by Clark and Vlaar.

My only negative about Guzan at the moment is the amount of times he kicks the ball high and long.  Very rarely does anything come from them and we just hand possession back to the opposition.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2013, 12:23:31 PM »
If I've got one criticism of Brad it's that he throws the ball out to our players to launch an attack more than he needs to. I understand the reason behind it in the main because we're a very good counter attacking team and it helps us keep possession  but there were times yesterday we were under the cosh a bit and i'd have liked him to have just seen him keep hold of it.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #294 on: September 22, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
If I've got one criticism of Brad it's that he throws the ball out to our players to launch an attack more than he needs to. I understand the reason behind it in the main because we're a very good counter attacking team and it helps us keep possession  but there were times yesterday we were under the cosh a bit and i'd have liked him to have just seen him keep hold of it.

Yeah remember near the end of the game he did that and the manager slaughtered him, still for a goalkeeper he is still young so hopefully he will cut that out in time.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #295 on: September 22, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »
For the penalty save, the save in the 88th minute and his domination of his box, the MOTM was deserved.

The point about his distribution is a minor criticism but if he can sort that out, it would be very difficult to find anything else to criticise.

I thought yesterday there were one or two times where there was another defender available for a pass and we played it back to Guz. I don't like to see us playing it around nicely at the back and then seeing the 'keeper whack it up front and often lose possession. Sometimes it's unavoidable but I thought there was the odd occasion where it was unnecessary.

He probably does need that bit of experience in decision making to know when to hold onto the ball and when to look for the quick release for the counter attack. These are relatively small gripes though which can be put right. Top, top keeper though.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »

If they do let Cech go, all they will do is make Courtois their number one. They've been loaning him to Atletico Madrid for the past couple of seasons and he's rated as one of the best in the world. He's still only 21 too so they may take the long-term point of view.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »
Yeh Courtois must be one of, if not the, best young keepers in the world. I imagine he'll be number 1 at Stamford Bridge next season

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Brad you are a brilliant keeper, but please please please stop kicking the ball straight out of play on the right hand side from your kicks.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »
fool, he only does that so the Chavski's of this world don't come and bid for him

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal