collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188789 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »
We released this man last summer. He almost ended up playing for Hull City. Thank Christ we came to our senses.

That being said, I think I'd vote for Benteke as our player of the season. Actually, mods, do you reckon that it's too early to start a PotS thread or can I make one now?

I thought he'd been offered a new deal by the club last season but didn't sign it?

My Hull supporting brother in law was pretty unexcited about him when he was up there with them. He described him as "ok" and no more.

His progress this season has been phenomenal.

I wonder if part of it is that in the inexperience of the back four, he's felt comfortable about taking a more vocal, organising role?

Offline neo_Villan

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »
My Hull supporting brother in law was pretty unexcited about him when he was up there with them. He described him as "ok" and no more.

I wonder if part of it is that in the inexperience of the back four, he's felt comfortable about taking a more vocal, organising role?
Good theory. This season was the first time he felt he was the more experienced member of the back 5.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »
We released this man last summer. He almost ended up playing for Hull City. Thank Christ we came to our senses.

That being said, I think I'd vote for Benteke as our player of the season. Actually, mods, do you reckon that it's too early to start a PotS thread or can I make one now?

I thought he'd been offered a new deal by the club last season but didn't sign it?

He's had about 5 seasons' worth of shots to save in the 30 games so far, of course he's improved! ;)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1389434/u.s.-earns-precious-point-in-0-0-tie-with-mexico?cc=5739#

MEXICO CITY -- The Americans were clinging to a scoreless tie, seconds away from earning a rare point in Mexico, when Angel Reyna's shot darted perilously close to the goal.

Brad Guzan lunged, smothering the ball with his body.

"It's always going to be a bit hectic and a bit crazy, especially late in the game," Guzan said. "You're never going to come to a place like Azteca and go out and have it nice and easy. So we knew at some point, it was going to come, the pressure was going to come, and we were able to deal with it."

Guzan swatted away shot after shot, young defenders Omar Gonzalez and Matt Besler showed the poise of veterans and the Americans hung on for a 0-0 draw Tuesday night, earning only their second point in a World Cup qualifier at Azteca Stadium.

As Risso said, he's had enough practice !

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »
I'm delighted for Brad. I hope he manages to keep his place in the team, for me he's far better than Tim Howard. Great result for the US, even if Mexico should have had a penalty or two. Saying that, Brad would probably have saved both.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2013, 04:57:41 PM »
The thing is, he looked far more commanding than previously, from day one of this season.
He has been immense and could go on to be a great keeper for several more years.

It's players like him that make me hope that we stay up - so that we can build a cracking squad around him and the other little beauties.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
Probably the first time at Villa he's had a manager believe in him.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »
Probably the first time at Villa he's had a manager believe in him.

I agree, I think that goes a long way to explaining his current form and PL deserves a lot of credit for showing faith in him.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
I wonder if the credit actually belongs to Randy?

I bet he encouraged the deal.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »
I wonder if the credit actually belongs to Randy?

I bet he encouraged the deal.

Ultimately it would have been PL's call though.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2013, 06:13:53 PM »
Good call whatever. He must be one of the best in the league. He gives an air of confidence from his keeping like Schmeichel did.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »
I'm delighted for Brad. I hope he manages to keep his place in the team, for me he's far better than Tim Howard. Great result for the US, even if Mexico should have had a penalty or two. Saying that, Brad would probably have saved both.

Tim Howard is a very athletic and consistent goalkeeper. In fact the USA has produced some excellent goalkeepers in the last twenty years.

Brad1 Brad2 Howard and Kasey Keller come to mind.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
He's yet another American goalkeeper who hits his mid to late 20s and reaches another level. Brad has been excellent this year and can really be the long term number 1 for this club, with hopefully Siegrist moving up to his challenger.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
I am seeing very little contrition from the loud voices who cast doubt on Guzan as our number one?

If I recall correctly - Paul Lambert was a fool for picking him over the legendary Shay Given?

Yet Guzan has become a world class keeper playing behind a young inexperienced defence.  And he has done that by learning from his own mistakes and working hard to improve both himself and his team-mates.  I think that the same process will occur with many of our young team.

'Not good enough' comes the myopic cry.  I would prefer to let professionals be the judge of that.  And I hope that Guzan and Lambert will build many years of success as an anti-dote to the angry negative finger pointing that has blighted so much of our clubs recent history.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal