collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:50:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 10:47:03 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 10:46:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 10:45:42 AM]

[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188883 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2013, 09:37:42 PM »
I doubt any keeper has made more saves than Guzan this season though. And how of the many many goals we've conceded can you blame him for? That's why it would be between him and Begovic. If i'd seen Begovic every week I may rate him a lot higher, or lower.

Statistics until the end of December 2012

Brad's in fifth for number of saves made, behind Schwarzer, Mignolet, Al-Habsi and Jääskeläinen.

Probably more relevant is the percentage of shots that he saved - only 64%, which while not exactly disgraceful is nowhere need as high as some keepers.

Impressive on the crossing though, he's miles out of front on the number of crosses that he's caught

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2013, 10:34:03 PM »
Id buy him a pint after some of the saves he has made this season, and that marshalling he has started to give out to his back line.  I cant gauge appreciation any higher than that

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »
And people think Guzan's not good on crosses.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
Well it must be just me.

Upto now I've yet to see him carry out  anything to set him apart from a run-of-the-mill premiership keeper.

If anything, I'd say his command of his area is way below what it should be and has contributed to our poor record at corners this season. TBH, watching today, I get the impression he's been spoken to about it, and was acting on instructions to that effect. To his credit of course.

Is he better than Given? Arguable.
Better value for money? Unquestionably.

And I guess that's what's matters these days.

That's a very harsh assessment in my opinion.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Early kick-off's, 3 points and 10 pints don't tend to be a good basis for the most sensible of posts.

I wasn't so much having a pop at Brad, who I think is a competent but not IMO an outstanding Premiership keeper, more so the tightening of the finances suggesting value for money has seemingly become the be all and end all. And while that's not necessarily a bad thing, its just a little sad we no longer wish to reach for the stars.

Apologies for the harshness though. Completely uncalled for.
I hope Simon Dawkins is in a forgiving mood....

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »
I love the way Guzan commands his area. Too many keepers we've had I remember either being hesitant with things like crosses or being welded on the line. Guzan conversely, is confident and takes charge in those situations and I love it.

Even speaking as someone who saw his talent before this season and fancied him to end up being number one following his comeback I didn't foresee him being this good. He deserves to be behind a much better back four.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »
Well done to the lad - Big Sam's hoofball didn't intimidate him this time.

Always been a fan to be fair - glad we re-signed him. Fine player

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
I doubt any keeper has made more saves than Guzan this season though. And how of the many many goals we've conceded can you blame him for? That's why it would be between him and Begovic. If i'd seen Begovic every week I may rate him a lot higher, or lower.

Statistics until the end of December 2012

Brad's in fifth for number of saves made, behind Schwarzer, Mignolet, Al-Habsi and Jääskeläinen.

Probably more relevant is the percentage of shots that he saved - only 64%, which while not exactly disgraceful is nowhere need as high as some keepers.

Impressive on the crossing though, he's miles out of front on the number of crosses that he's caught

Do those stats allow for Brad playing 2 less games than most keepers?  :P

Seriously though, stats for a keeper only tell a small part of the story. The quality of shots they are facing will have an impact for example. For example a keeper could make 10 saves in a match but all are weak grass cutters. He saves 10 and keeps a clean sheet. Another keeper could save 2, concede 3 but all were stunners.
The reason I rate Brad so highly is that although he's conceded a shed load I struggle to think of many that he should have saved. Whereas I can think of many where he's saved blinders.

Online Dave

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:44 PM »
The quality of shots they are facing will have an impact for example. For example a keeper could make 10 saves in a match but all are weak grass cutters. He saves 10 and keeps a clean sheet. Another keeper could save 2, concede 3 but all were stunners.
Yes, but I think it's safe to say that over the course of 25 or so games that things will equal themselves out a bit.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »
Knowing our luck it won't. They'm all bluddy stunners!

Online Dave

« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2013, 10:06:58 PM »
No, they'm all bluddy corners.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
I heard an interview with him on the radio just after the win against West Ham.  Apart from his modesty when compimented about the saves he made, he came across as determined and confident that Villa were getting their act together and it was onward and upward from now with a committed manager and team. (the gist.)

So he's hardly going to say, 'everything's rubbish, this is a flash in the pan,' under the circumstances, but what made me think was that he said 'we go again' as his final comment. I was wondering if this much maligned (on here) phrase was actually a phrase that the players were using to keep themselves together and motivated no matter what, during this somewhat challenging season. In other words, a motto for the team rather than just a repeated soundbite from the manager. If it's working for them, and him, then great!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
I heard him aswell, was that the talksport interview with Stan you listened to him.

I did hear him utter "we go again" a few times so clearly the players do understand Lambert....

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »
I heard him aswell, was that the talksport interview with Stan you listened to him.

I did hear him utter "we go again" a few times so clearly the players do understand Lambert....
Ot, as Louzie says, it's something the players ahve come up with as a mental trigger for girding their loins and getting back out here.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

Ot, as Louzie says, it's something the players ahve come up with as a mental trigger for girding their loins and getting back out here.

Yes it was the TS interview, just remembered!
Either way, it explains why PL keeps repeating it, as well.  There seems to be a lot of determination. It has a different resonance when used by one of the players after a win.
Here's hoping it leads to a climb up the table, from now.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2013, 06:35:57 PM »
We would have been dead and buried today well before half time if it wasn't for Brad.
He has really made the position his own after Lambert had the balls (that TSM didn't) to drop Given.
Here for years to come hopefully.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal