collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Have we become a feeder club ?  (Read 14482 times)

Offline manic-road

Re: Have we become a feeder club ?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
If the money is right, all clubs will sell. It's business at the end of the day.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
If you can do it with skill, selling (even your best players) can be a positive thing for your club.  I think the last manager we had who could do this was Ron Saunders.

When Gray and Gidman left in 1979 there was that feeling of `here we go again`. We didn't have that feeling 2 years later though.
Also when Ron Atkinson arrived, Platt was in the process of being sold or had just gone. 

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
If you can do it with skill, selling (even your best players) can be a positive thing for your club.  I think the last manager we had who could do this was Ron Saunders.

When Gray and Gidman left in 1979 there was that feeling of `here we go again`. We didn't have that feeling 2 years later though.
Also when Ron Atkinson arrived, Platt was in the process of being sold or had just gone. 

Exactly.  If the manager knows what he is doing and there is a bigger picture and plan, selling a top player can be very positive for a club.  It's when clubs sell top players to plug financial holes elsewhere that it can be a soul-destroying business. 

Now, it's before my time, and maybe others will correct me here, but I get the impression that we sold the likes of Hitchens and Hateley because, financially, we were in a terrible way.  That type of selling is what destroys a club or, at least, signals a downward spiral.  When I hear the term "selling club" that's the kind of club I picture, one walking a tightrope, with no option other than to sell its best players constantly in order to survive.  That kind of situation gives you no control and no time to plan and build for success.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 06:19:42 PM »

I'd argue the Gray and Gidman sales were nothing to do with moving on to a bigger club.
Neither player could stand Ron Saunders and Gray moved to wanky Wolves, hardly a step up, whilst John Gidman went to Everton, a sideways move at best.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 06:31:05 PM »
ManUre rarely sell their best players
Ronaldo & McGrath.
Can't recall any others.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 06:52:27 PM »
Beckham.

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
Jaap Stam.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 06:59:45 PM »
Paul Ince.

Offline MadJohnnyC

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »
Ruud van nistelrooy

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 07:06:53 PM »
Therefore most clubs are feeder clubs, would you call Man Ure a feeder club for selling Ronaldo to Real Madrid? Nearly every player has a price when the champions league mob come knocking
No i would not. He was already a world class player before he went to UTD.

No he wasnt IMO

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »
Didn't the club say were following the 'Ajax model'?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »
There's maybe half a dozen clubs in Europe who aren't. We're hardly unique in being a feeder club.

And there's hundreds of clubs out there who are our feeder clubs.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »
And there's hundreds of clubs out there who are our feeder clubs.

This is something that annoys me. People get angry when clubs come in for our best players, yet we've done the same to Crewe, Brighton, Watford, Middlesbrough, and Sheffield United to name but a few.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »
When did we make any agreement with another club to sell out brightest youth stars??  So no.  What we re is a club who doesn't have the revenue stream of a Barca/real/utd/city etc.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »
I'd agree with The Man with a stick too, almost everyone has their best players nicked.  That's why clubs should be constantly keeping tabs on potential replacements so that the next generation has already been identified should a top player get poached.
Isn't that why we have our acadamy, and reserves, under 18 and so on ?
Partly.  But that didn't work too well in replacing the likes of Barry, Milner, Young and Downing.  But then neither did the signings we made, so improvement required all round.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal