collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: £10m Curtis Davies speaks  (Read 19089 times)

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
£10m Curtis Davies speaks
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:27:24 AM »
“Under O’Neill, Villa were known for signing big players at high fees........."   Take out the word `big` and I can't disagree with you there Curtis.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-brom-news/2012/09/30/west-bromwich-albion-are-the-top-midlands-team-now-says-curtis-davies-66331-31934513/

West Bromwich Albion are the top Midlands team now says Curtis Davies

CURTIS Davies reckons Albion are the strongest team in the Midlands – not Villa, the team he once joined from the Baggies.

After years of living in their bitter rivals’ shadows, Davies believes the Black Country outfit are now the top dogs in the region and says they are favourites ahead of today’s derby clash at Villa Park.

“Right now, in the Midlands, Albion have to be the best team because of the way they’ve started and the way they finished last season,” he said.

“You have to say so, because they’ve got a very strong squad and have brought in some top players. You would be a liar if you said anything else.”

Davies, who now plays for Blues, left The Hawthorns in 2007 to join Villa in a deal worth more than £10 million.

His switch was one of many big-money buys during the Martin O’Neill era as Villa regularly enjoyed European football.

But since the Irishman left, the claret and blues have slowly declined while Albion have consolidated their Premier League status and kicked on.

And 27-year-old Davies reckons that times have changed because of the lower budget that current Villa boss Paul Lambert has to operate with.

“I think Albion have overtaken Villa,” he added. “Albion are progressing more whereas Villa’s stance is that they are trying to buy young players and redevelop.

“Under O’Neill, Villa were known for signing big players at high fees, now they’re trying to sign younger players like the Bennetts, the Lowtons, etc.”

Offline Jimbo

Re: £10m Curtis Davies speaks
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:54:44 AM »
Swap the word 'big' for 'pub'.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »
Albion have done well over the last few years but despite us having to revise our transfer expectations, did they buy anyone more expensive than Benteke or Vlaar?

I honestly don't take much notice so don't know.

Offline curlytailavfc

• www.friendsofakitas.co.uk
  • GM : 26.02.2019
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »
Davies needs to realise he was a feckin waste of money and hes now found his playing level prick he is

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »
What Davies and all these Baggies fans need to realize is that you don't become top dogs after beating us a couple of times and finishing above for the first time in 30 odd years.

Nevermind signing players for big fees when PL has gone and got Vlaar for half the price of that useless twat!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
Jesus tity fucking Christ.

One wanky mid-table finish after years of playing 2nd or 3rd division football, followed by yo-yoing up and down is called "kicking on"?

They're all on glue.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
As todays yoof would say........meh.

Offline HK Villan

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »
Jesus tity fucking Christ.

One wanky mid-table finish after years of playing 2nd or 3rd division football, followed by yo-yoing up and down is called "kicking on"?

They're all on glue.

Spot on.  We heard the same from Small Heath a few years ago, and look at them now. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
What Davies and all these Baggies fans need to realize is that you don't become top dogs after beating us a couple of times and finishing above for the first time in 30 odd years.

Nevermind signing players for big fees when PL has gone and got Vlaar for half the price of that useless twat!

Quite. Nothing screams "small time" more than taking beating us at home and finishing above us for the first  time in over a quarter of a century as evidence of some kind of power shift.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Warnock Speaks, Big Eck Speaks and now £10m Curtis Davies Speaks. Lots of speaking going on. When Warnock is the one who speaks the most sense, you realise what a bunch of idiots we've had at our club in recent seasons.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
When they are second to Everton in terms of top flight longevity, have added a few more pots and pans to the trophy cabinet and when I start to see Albion kits in every town over here in Ireland then, and only then, will I give any sort of careful consideration to his argument.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »
Let's be honest, Curtis Davies has always been a gobshite. If he played half as good a game as he talked he wouldn't be playing in the fizzy pop league with dog shite fc
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 11:29:59 AM by PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt »

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
What "top players" have they brought in then?  I'm struggling.  Top dogs my arse, most people outside of Brum don't even know where West fucking Bromwich is.

Of course, Davies wouldn't be saying this to try and earn some brownie points from the couple of thousand fans who now pay his wages would he.  No, you'd be a cynic and a fool to think so.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
They've got some good players. But I can't remember what any of them are called.

Offline greenwichvilla

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
At some point in our lives, we have all made a ridiculous statement regarding football.

For some inexplicable reason, after the 4-2 home win vs Manchester City. A few years back, I declared Davies "An England captain in waiting"

Not one of my finest moves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal