collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby and Defoe - a hypthetical question.  (Read 11070 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Gabby and Defoe - a hypthetical question.
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 04:18:09 PM »

They're the same type of players, out and out finishers who without goals contribute very little.

When was the last time Darren Bent chased a ball down the wing turned inside a defender and scored in the top corner from 20 yards out? They are different players. Bent is the best 6 yard box player in the PL, and Defoe while he's decent at that has also shown the ability throughout his career to score in a number of different ways.

We have evidence to show that they have struggled to play together, surely no sensible manager would risk his limited transfer budget, not to mention wages, on the vague hope that it might be different this time.

People are pinning too much on vague answers given to questions put to him, he said similar about Andy Carrol a few weeks ago and that was never on the cards. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

They're the same type of players, out and out finishers who without goals contribute very little.

When was the last time Darren Bent chased a ball down the wing turned inside a defender and scored in the top corner from 20 yards out? They are different players. Bent is the best 6 yard box player in the PL, and Defoe while he's decent at that has also shown the ability throughout his career to score in a number of different ways.

We have evidence to show that they have struggled to play together, surely no sensible manager would risk his limited transfer budget, not to mention wages, on the vague hope that it might be different this time.

People are pinning too much on vague answers given to questions put to him, he said similar about Andy Carrol a few weeks ago and that was never on the cards. 

The first 3 months of last season is evidence they can work together. Something like 11 goals and 8 assists between them.

The next 3 months Bent still scored but Gabby was crap. Then Bent got injured. A bit of an irony that the last time they turned anyone over together was Norwich. I'm sure Lambert would have noticed what they did to his side that afternoon.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
Why not, if it is in the offering let's do it.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 04:48:34 PM »
Bit generous giving Bent equal billing in the '11 goals and 8 assists' PWS. Think he got 5 of those goals, fair enough (though you'd expect him to get more than Gabby who was playing on the wing) but how many of the 8 assists? I remember Gabby setting him up with a few that Mrs Redknapp could have scored, but I can't remember him returning the favour.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:50:28 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »
I wouldn't say no to Defoe.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
Bit generous giving Bent equal billing in the '11 goals and 8 assists' PWS. Think he got 5 of those goals, fair enough (though you'd expect him to get more than Gabby who was playing on the wing) but how many of the 8 assists? I remember Gabby setting him up with a few that Mrs Redknapp could have scored, but I can't remember him returning the favour.

That's my point though, Gabby was setting up Bent which meant they were working well together for a while. And they were both scoring. So in my eyes they worked well together for 3 months and didn't for 3 months. So it's hard to say there's evidence they struggled to work together when there's the same amount of evidence that they do.

To me how well they work can together longer term is down to Gabby. If we can see a lot more of the early season Gabby then they will, if we see the Gabby that was on show for the majority of the rest of the season then they won't.

Offline eastie

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
Would anyone pay £14m for Gabby?  I know transfer prices are silly these days but any transfer involving Liverpool aside, they're not that silly are they?!

Id snatch their hands off if they offered half of that , defoe is a finisher whereas gabby isnt , would be more than happy to see defoe replace him.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »

Gabby -> Sunderland for £14m
Defoe -> us for 8m

Gabby to Sunderland for £14m..you gone mad? Only a total lunatic with no sense of money value would pay that sort of money...errrm oh hang on just realised who is in charge there.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »
Would anyone pay £14m for Gabby?  I know transfer prices are silly these days but any transfer involving Liverpool aside, they're not that silly are they?!

Id snatch their hands off if they offered half of that , defoe is a finisher whereas gabby isnt , would be more than happy to see defoe replace him.
Wouldn't be happy accepting anything less than 9/10m for Gabby...and as you say eastie, Defoe is a scorer - he's a finisher similar to Bent but also scores a fair share of self-made goals like he did the other night and several times this season for Spuds even when not playing regularly/on bench. I think he'd gives us something extra.
He would want big wages though and expect to play most games, and Lambert is well known for "rotating" his players/teams. He wants a playing collective, not a set of superstars. (I think!?)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »

they struggled to play with each other under Redknapp. Who's to say they couldn't under a different manager? We just don't know so it's not as cut and dried as you are making out. Additionally, Bent was always going to play second fiddle to Defoe who Redknapp had at West Ham and Portsmouth. Most people are just being hypothetical and not putting any significant stock from what I can see into the comments made by Lambert . It's transfer gossip and being treated as such by most on here.

Offline swiss1968

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
Didn't we have him up here before and he said no ? don't think he would want to leave the smoke,but i rate him ,i would have him in like a shot .

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
Can't really see the point.

Bent's better at that role and Defoe won't swap Spurs bench for our bench.

I've got no real problem signing a striker if that's what Lambert wants, but surely a different type of striker would make more sense.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
We may see Gabby and Defoe playing for the Villa.

I think that the only striker to leave will be Bent, and I don't think that is very likely.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »
Buy Defoe and swap Bent for Carroll, keep Gabby.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »
Buy Defoe and swap Bent for Carroll, keep Gabby.
Paulie's hypothetical scenario was to give us similar but slightly more limited striking options while making us a profit.

Yours seems to end up with worse strikers while costing us a load of money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal