collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 03:08:28 PM]

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:04:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:01:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Update on Stan  (Read 21941 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Update on Stan
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »

Offline danlanza

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »

Fucking brilliant is that. Bloody marvelous.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2012, 10:01:45 PM »
Apparently spotted on the M25 this morning on a Bulgarian reg lorry.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2012, 10:17:01 PM »
Context for those wondering:

Stiliyan Petrov is on the road to recovery thanks to a brilliant initiative by Bulgarian basketball star Nikolay Rashkov.

Rashkov's family owns a haulage firm and the University of Maine basketball ace decided to drum up support for Petrov by emblazoning the Support Stan and Cure Leukaemia logos on the company's 70 trucks.

After hearing that skipper Petrov had been diagnosed with acute leukaemia, Rashkov felt compelled to do something for his country's icon.

He said: "Sport is a global thing. I play basketball and I know what it is to sacrifice yourself in order to play at the very top level. You need support.

"Stan is a real role model for me and all the sports people in our country. When I heard the news about him, it was devastating.

"I just thought 'how can I help and how can I show my support?'

"I was graced by the fact my father owns a transport business so I came up with the idea that we can brand up the trucks with the 'Support Stan' logo.

"The most important thing is supporting Stan and about making better awareness of the disease too.

"It will be difficult to miss these messages because the trucks are huge!"

Full article here - http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2793958,00.html

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2012, 04:56:06 PM »

Offline supertom

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 05:26:17 PM »
Loving that lorry! Absolutely brilliant.
Stan the man.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2012, 11:48:46 PM »
Here with Birthday Cake on Pic 10, looking well.

It's a bit of a shit cake, innit? You'd think they could have pushed the boat out a bit, got him one in the shape of his goal at Derby or something.

He'll play again by the end of the season, I reckon. Because he's The Man.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2012, 08:39:20 AM »
There are many fans around the country whom think that "their "team and supporters are the best - but we do have a long history of players / managers who come to Birmingham with the Villa and end up spending their days here.
I think after all this Stan will realise he is a very special player / man to our hearts and i hope that when his playing days are over he has huge memories of the folk here that suppoprted him as he is a true gent.
A mate of mine is a taxi driver (and a nose) in Sutton area and often takes Stans kids to school etc and says that the whole family are genuinely brilliant but especially stan who is an absolute gentleman

Keep up the fight big man and we shall all see you soon

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »
Hookey good to know it isn't all image with Stan!

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Want to know the latest on Stan, please.  This thread should be at the top, all the time, or stickied.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »
Only reported in one place but hopefully good news.
Daily Record

FOOTBALL star Stiliyan Petrov is winning his fight against cancer, the Sunday Mail can reveal.
The 33-year-old former Celtic midfielder, now playing for Aston Villa, is in remission from leukaemia.
His breakthrough was revealed by Tony Blair’s former spin chief Alastair Campbell, who is chairman of a charity raising cash for leukaemia research.
The football world was stunned when it emerged in March that Petrov – nicknamed Stan by fans and team-mates – had been diagnosed with the blood ­cancer.
Petrov has since undergone ­chemotherapy.
The Bulgarian joined Celtic in 1999 and became one of the most popular players in the club’s recent history. He moved to Aston Villa in 2006.
Two weeks ago, he marked his 33rd birthday by visiting Villa team-mates for the first day of pre-season training under new manager Paul Lambert, who Petrov starred alongside at Parkhead.
Professor Chris Bunce, research director at Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research, said: “His remission is a fantastic first step towards what we all hope will be a full recovery.
“He is clearly aware that this is a necessary step along the road but that there is still danger the disease has not fully gone away.
“Although most patients achieve a remission, some regrettably go on to relapse with recurrent disease.
“Stiliyan seems to be aware of this in the way he speaks about where he is now. He will be monitored very closely for evidence of ­resurgence of the disease and should it come back, there will most likely be further treatment options ­available.”
Dad-of-two Petrov is backing a £250,000 campaign to raise funds for A Pedal for Petrov cycle from Celtic Park to Villa Park in Birmingham in September to raise cash for leukaemia and lymphoma research.
Villa masseurs Andrew Smith and Alex Butler will cycle the 400 miles. Former spin doctor Campbell will also take part.
He said: “Stan is an amazing guy. He is in remission now. ­ People who go through this want to help others, and he is ­absolutely that type of ­character.”
Lambert has kept the Bulgarian on as club captain regardless of whether he features on the pitch.
At his appearance at Villa Park two weeks ago, Petrov said he will keep fighting and believes the worst of the ­illness is behind him.
He said: “I’ve been a strong character since the start of my career.
“I always believed that you need to be patient and you need to believe in things, and I believe I will get better.
“I know I’ve got a few more months of chemotherapy and I need to go through it. But I think that the hardest bit is over and from now on I just need to wait for the result to be positive.”

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
I think I have some dust in my eye.
And me
That dust is getting about a bit today...

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2012, 04:41:33 PM »
If he's in remission that's wonderful news. Good luck Stan!

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2012, 05:36:48 PM »
Sounds promising, good luck Stan.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
Brilliant news, hope the money I raised in the 5k run helped, Stan.

Who's chopping onions?...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal