collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Agbonlahor excited by new boss  (Read 19003 times)

Offline philthebar

Re: Agbonlahor excited by new boss
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
I'm not a Gabby hater, just the opposite, but please footballers let your footballing skills come to the fore, don't do slily interviews that result in this kind of thread

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »
I hate the term "haters". It seems to be a chav-fueled social media term which is used to describe anyone who has the slightest bit of criticism for anything else, which is all that is being expressed.

Purely on football...

Deserving another season? What do you have to do to "deserve more time"? Not delivered for 2 straight seasons, sulked a lot when played out wide, done absoluptly nothing when played in his "best" position. No movement, and Houllier was right about him needing to lose a bit of the bulk, he has lost a good amount of pace, and will never be bright enough to make up for shortfalls as an athlete by having the movement and awareness to make up. He is a lower mid table striker, but never going to be what some think he is. His movement and finishing is simply not up to it the standard needed. If MON offered anything over 8 million I would drive him up there, and would pay the petrol.

On sentiment, I would love him to score  20 goals next season, put me right on all that I have written above, and lead us to a top 8 finish. I would love it, because he is Gabby and he is ours. But sentiment should not come into analysing his talent.

THIS!

He is not good enough and at the grand old age of 25, he should be doing a lot better.  Would Gabby get this much love if he wasnt an AVFC fan?  I think not.  If we received an offer at around 8m, personally, i'd take it and reinvest in a player who is hungrier and technically better. 

People used to talk about his pace and how dangerous he is/was, well he has last that yard of pace for ignoring a manager who was advising him correctly.  Now what are we left with?  A player who has failed to deliver or progress in 2 seasons and is not technically there.  He is a serial sulker and I wouldnt be surprised if he was causing some unrest in the dressing room.

I still hope he proves me wrong so that I can eat a large slice of humble pie but I dont believe he will.

Offline Singapore Villa

• GM : 09.06.2019
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
Must admit that I agree with Oz and Rick. Time to move him on if the right offer is received.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 01:36:11 PM »
I hate the term "haters". It seems to be a chav-fueled social media term which is used to describe anyone who has the slightest bit of criticism for anything else, which is all that is being expressed.

Purely on football...

Deserving another season? What do you have to do to "deserve more time"? Not delivered for 2 straight seasons, sulked a lot when played out wide, done absoluptly nothing when played in his "best" position. No movement, and Houllier was right about him needing to lose a bit of the bulk, he has lost a good amount of pace, and will never be bright enough to make up for shortfalls as an athlete by having the movement and awareness to make up. He is a lower mid table striker, but never going to be what some think he is. His movement and finishing is simply not up to it the standard needed. If MON offered anything over 8 million I would drive him up there, and would pay the petrol.

On sentiment, I would love him to score  20 goals next season, put me right on all that I have written above, and lead us to a top 8 finish. I would love it, because he is Gabby and he is ours. But sentiment should not come into analysing his talent.

THIS!

He is not good enough and at the grand old age of 25, he should be doing a lot better.  Would Gabby get this much love if he wasnt an AVFC fan?  I think not.  If we received an offer at around 8m, personally, i'd take it and reinvest in a player who is hungrier and technically better. 

People used to talk about his pace and how dangerous he is/was, well he has last that yard of pace for ignoring a manager who was advising him correctly.  Now what are we left with?  A player who has failed to deliver or progress in 2 seasons and is not technically there.  He is a serial sulker and I wouldnt be surprised if he was causing some unrest in the dressing room.

I still hope he proves me wrong so that I can eat a large slice of humble pie but I dont believe he will.

I have to agree with this. His bright idea to bulk up to not be bullied like Heskey, was a poor one.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
Size/build doesn't always come at the cost of speed. Usain Bolt is 14 stone for instance. In fact, most sprinters are well built.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
Houllier recognised gabby had big fish small pond issues straight away. If he'd listened to the home truths about his weight etc and responsed positively who knows where he'd be now.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »
Size/build doesn't always come at the cost of speed. Usain Bolt is 14 stone for instance.

I don't rate him. He's no Alf Tupper.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 09:02:04 AM »
He was fast and small, then MON got him to bulk up and be stronger, Houllier wanted him to lose it and be faster.

He's been used on the wing rather than an up front.

It's hardly surprising he's off the boil a bit.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 11:21:53 AM »
Must admit that I agree with Oz and Rick. Time to move him on if the right offer is received.

And replace with who?

Offline jembob

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 12:17:32 PM »
Size/build doesn't always come at the cost of speed. Usain Bolt is 14 stone for instance. In fact, most sprinters are well built.
On the rare occasions that Gabby shows up, he's a real handful for defenders (Vidic and Ferdinand usually bring out the best in him) and is strong enough not to be pushed about. I don't think that he would lose much speed by bulking up but his real problems start when he needs to play football. I think it was last season's Fulham game at VP which really showed this up. With Fulham defending deep, Gabby showed no movement or hunger and just seemed happy waiting for a killer through ball from somebody in our own half! Weimann came on and immediately started looking for the ball and linking up play and it made a huge difference. Gabby just kept on sitting on the defender's shoulder and contributed nothing. Weimann scored the winner.
Now it may be down to coaching and tactics but most players (specifically Rooney) will look for the ball and try and make something happen. More often than not, Gabby will be as far away from the ball as possible and unavailable.
I'd love to see Lambert help him turn it around but as 25 years old, you'd be expecting him to at least the basics well.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
On the rare occasions that Gabby shows up, he's a real handful for defenders (Vidic and Ferdinand usually bring out the best in him) and is strong enough not to be pushed about. I don't think that he would lose much speed by bulking up but his real problems start when he needs to play football. I think it was last season's Fulham game at VP which really showed this up. With Fulham defending deep, Gabby showed no movement or hunger and just seemed happy waiting for a killer through ball from somebody in our own half! Weimann came on and immediately started looking for the ball and linking up play and it made a huge difference. Gabby just kept on sitting on the defender's shoulder and contributed nothing. Weimann scored the winner.
Now it may be down to coaching and tactics but most players (specifically Rooney) will look for the ball and try and make something happen. More often than not, Gabby will be as far away from the ball as possible and unavailable.
I'd love to see Lambert help him turn it around but as 25 years old, you'd be expecting him to at least the basics well.

Maybe he was playing to order!  McShitface has been know to drop players who didn't, ask Ireland and Nzog.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
Where do people get the idea that MON told Gabby to bulk up?

I remember the season he came back for pre-season after he'd done it, and MON said he was surprised, hadn't asked him to do it, and wasn't sure it was a good idea.

Funny how these myths gain credence.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
I share others' frustrations and misgivings. But it is worth remembering that he was very good indeed for a good proportion of the first half of last season. Scored dime excellent goals and played very well in games like Chelsea and Swansea away, even when he didn't score.

Given the significant work needed on midfield and defence, I'd be inclined to give him another chance.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
How many of the squad actually performed for McLeish? No one really. We know we have some very good players and we have to wait to see what PL can get from them, then see who isn't up to it.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »
How many of the squad actually performed for McLeish? No one really. We know we have some very good players and we have to wait to see what PL can get from them, then see who isn't up to it.
Correct. However, we can't let them piss about all season again. Sid should be able to advise on those to be got rid off with immediate effect. A handful would have until Christmas but no longer. Regardless of the manager, they have been paid good money and owe us more than they have given so far.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal