collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we still Doug's club?  (Read 21369 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Are we still Doug's club?
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
Risso, you're about a year and a bit behind the times in terms of Villa's finances. That much is a fact.

That's not a dig or anything but a few things have happened since then.

No I am not.  The last accounts were made up to 31 May 2011.  Today is the first day of May.  Since then, we have made about an £18m cash profit on player purchases, but I do not think that that is enough to improve our finances sufficiently that Lerner will spend big this summer.  Lerner stuck another £10m in December 2011 and as I'm sure you noticed, we didn't use that to buy any players in January, which is my point.

Offline pestria

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »

Maybe we did end up in Division 3 as part of that process, but we also ended up with arguably the most successful period of the club's history.

Once he'd left.

Are you saying he had no positive role in bringing about the success in the early '80s?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 11:36:04 AM »
I never expected him to spend in January. I'm not sure who did..?

But, for instance, added to the transfer profit from last season and the cash Randy injected we have signed commercial deals worth in the region of £35m and have slashed the salary situation dramatically (which I'm told is the only real financial concern they had and even that was a value issue). I've also heard that Randy's own situation has improved somewhat with regards to the Bank of America stock.

Bear in mind I would be as skeptical as you are with regards to any likely spending this summer had I not been privy to a conversation or two with people (in my case a person) far closer to the matter and I'm not the only person on this site to have that conversation either.
I know you'll just come back with "ITK bollocks" but I really dont care. For what it's worth, I'm still of the mind that I'll "believe it when I see it". But without getting entrenched in this any more than I wish to (I find finance about as intriguing and entertaining as listening to Oasis) my point is simply that Randy can spend again if he wishes to.

And let's face it. Its not really an option is it? He has to.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

Maybe we did end up in Division 3 as part of that process, but we also ended up with arguably the most successful period of the club's history.

Once he'd left.

Are you saying he had no positive role in bringing about the success in the early '80s?

He had some, but as early as 1975 he was no longer chairman. He can't claim a great deal of the credit, particularly since the one indisputable fact is that he wanted to get rid of the man who can claim most of the credit. 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
I never expected him to spend in January. I'm not sure who did..?

But, for instance, added to the transfer profit from last season and the cash Randy injected we have signed commercial deals worth in the region of £35m and have slashed the salary situation dramatically (which I'm told is the only real financial concern they had and even that was a value issue). I've also heard that Randy's own situation has improved somewhat with regards to the Bank of America stock.

Bear in mind I would be as skeptical as you are with regards to any likely spending this summer had I not been privy to a conversation or two with people (in my case a person) far closer to the matter and I'm not the only person on this site to have that conversation either.
I know you'll just come back with "ITK bollocks" but I really dont care. For what it's worth, I'm still of the mind that I'll "believe it when I see it". But without getting entrenched in this any more than I wish to (I find finance about as intriguing and entertaining as listening to Oasis) my point is simply that Randy can spend again if he wishes to.

And let's face it. Its not really an option is it? He has to.

I have no ITK element to it at all, but I do expect some spending this summer.  I agree that things will have shifted since May 2011 and we're probably in a bit of a better situation financially, but I think of it like January 2011 when he bought Bent because we NEEDED him.  It's similar now where regardless of the manager we NEED to invest in the squad again.   

Offline Risso

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 01:17:01 PM »
Well, the 2012 accounts will have the compensation paid to Blues, and assuming McLeish does get potted, then there'll be his pay off as well.  Then there's also the big drop in crowds and fall in prize money via a league finish, so any improvement in the financial situation will be offset by another load of comensation, and falling income.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Well, the 2012 accounts will have the compensation paid to Blues, and assuming McLeish does get potted, then there'll be his pay off as well.  Then there's also the big drop in crowds and fall in prize money via a league finish, so any improvement in the financial situation will be offset by another load of comensation, and falling income.

This is still the part that bugs me. I have mentioned before that we are looking at circa £15 million lost paying compensation to MON, Houllier, the Blues for poaching the man we have at the helm now, and the inevitable money we will have to pay out if/when we remove him.

Who at the club is going to take responsibility for these (last three) disastrous decisions.

Offline Risso

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 05:32:21 PM »

This is still the part that bugs me. I have mentioned before that we are looking at circa £15 million lost paying compensation to MON, Houllier, the Blues for poaching the man we have at the helm now, and the inevitable money we will have to pay out if/when we remove him.

Who at the club is going to take responsibility for these (last three) disastrous decisions.

It'll be more than that.  O'Neill and Houllier were £12m already.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
Risso, you're about a year and a bit behind the times in terms of Villa's finances. That much is a fact.

That's not a dig or anything but a few things have happened since then.
The debt has increased?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
No.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »

It'll be more than that.  O'Neill and Houllier were £12m already.

That's three Alan Hutton's worth of players we've missed out on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal