collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ugo wants Villa job...  (Read 16734 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Ugo wants Villa job...
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
I hold no animosity against either as players for us. I thought they were both excellent. However, neither of them have been proved capable of management so far so I'm out.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »
Two of my favourite ever Villa players. They left to try to go on to bigger and better things and we were seemingly forever going to go nowhere fast and Middlesborough were splashing the cash.

I didn't blame them then and don't blame them now.

As for being in charge, no thanks but I would take any football man over Mc*****.

Offline mikeb1982

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
I think we should get a young up and coming mangr and give him time, and Villa links would be great, but we can't have someone totally green like Ugo.  Look at Paul Ince at Blackburn, you need decent experience at lower levels of professional football, and can't just be thrust into the top (or second) division.  And we need to get rid of McLeech first, I still don't truly believe it's inevitable that he will go

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:38 PM »
I hold no animosity against either as players for us. I thought they were both excellent. However, neither of them have been proved capable of management so far so I'm out.

Same, although I'd consider Southgate over Ugo and Mcleish.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »
Ugo's incisive contribution on SSN today was something along the lines of 'look at the money City, Arsenal and Liverpool have spent - they can't expect to be above them'. Thanks for that Ugo, what about Swansea and Norwich?

Interview for Villa job failed right there on the basis of being as thick as pigshit.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »
I echo many of the above comments re Southgate as a player - a good pro, decent club captain with an apparent awareness of our history, a reasonably solid defender and far more determined than he appeared. We failed to match his ambition so I was disappointed when he left but I bore no grudge at all because we were pretty moribund at the time.

As a man I rate him highly. I used to work with his father in London and from all I knew from Clive and his wife, Southgate was chuffed to come to Villa and had a great few years before it went stale. Along with Merson he is my nephew's favourite ever player.  He was in the children's hospital in the late 90s when some of the team came in to visit. One of the nurses told Southgate that he was my nephew's favourite player so he went over to find him and chatted to him for over 20 minutes, Merson doing something similar.

I would be happy for Southgate to have some involvement with the club, but I don't see him as a viable manager for us - not yet at least.

I loved Ugo at first but was never sure he held us in any great affection. He was definitely part of a great defensive trio though. He can stay away from the hot seat though - we are not the Early Learning Centre for managers.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
Southgate's being groomed for an FA post as the love child of Trevor Brooking, so there is no chance of him coming to VP.

I don’t see why not.  I even think that he could do both roles.  Head of Development for both the FA and Villa.  After all with the FA I’d imagine he is a bit of a toothless lion as he has no authority to make changes at club’s academies, whereas at Villa we could be the guinea pig where the theories are tried out.

It would raise the profile of our academy and also mean we have a decent diplomat fighting our corner.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:34:49 AM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
Ugo's incisive contribution on SSN today was something along the lines of 'look at the money City, Arsenal and Liverpool have spent - they can't expect to be above them'. Thanks for that Ugo, what about Swansea and Norwich?

Interview for Villa job failed right there on the basis of being as thick as pigshit.

Not exactly the attitude we'd need in the dressing room. Stinks of McLeish's 'elite club' B.S and I can just see the surrenders he'd initiate.

Definitely a no from me now.

Offline forzavilla

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
A fine centre half pairing when they played,we didnt ship last minute goals and we were capable of defending a set piece unlike the 4 melons who masquerade as a back four now
But,they went looking for bigger and better things and ended up at Middlesborough somehow  ;D
Then tried to convince anybody who would listen,that they hadn't made a monumental balls up by going there
Dont forget that H&V renamed Middlesborough,Villasborough many moons ago

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2012, 08:27:26 PM »
I would like Southgate to work as director of football overseeing operation with Villa and FA. I want to see a striker working as a manager I hate defensive mind players as managers. But I wouldn't object to the Great Dane Martin Laursen getting his chance. I think our team is lacking pure viking spirit.

Offline Tom Sawyer

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2012, 08:44:27 PM »
I would like Southgate to work as director of football overseeing operation with Villa and FA. I want to see a striker working as a manager I hate defensive mind players as managers. But I wouldn't object to the Great Dane Martin Laursen getting his chance. I think our team is lacking pure viking spirit.

And I'd like Cheryl Cole to do a lap dance on a pole in the centre circle at half time during the Spurs game. I wonder who'll get their wish first?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2012, 11:30:34 PM »
The thread is about Ugo wanting the job. It is a ridiculous suggestion. Any out of work footballer, when asked if they want our Manager's job, if it were to become vacant, would say 'yes'.

Prince Charles was asked if hated the Queen Mother. He said 'no.'
Next day the headlines read: Prince Charles Denies Hating The Queen Mother.

For fuck's sake, it is all paper talk.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »
No. We need a manager with as proven track record at this level at this moment.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »

Spot on Percy.  Problem is about ninety five percent of footballers/football people have this kind of mindset.  We need an intelligent, ambitious, strong character who respects Villa and knows exactly what should be achieved at the club.  Is there a GT MKI out there ready to pick the club up and lead us to glory?  Hopefully, as I type, Randy has people searching high and low (across Europe and the World) for that very person.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »
they made thier choice, smogheads, let them stick to it

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal