collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eamonn Deacy - RIP  (Read 92411 times)

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
Re: Eamon Deacy
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
Bloody hell the man could tackle.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
Just out of interest, does anyone know whether he would then have got winners medals for the League championship and the EC. I recall he played a few games in the league, and appeared in the early rounds of the EC.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 06:01:02 PM »
There was a good piece on him in Claret and Blue magazine years ago, probably still got it somewhere.  Came across as a really humble bloke.

Sad stuff.  RIP Eamon.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »
The original cult hero who left us to help run his family business in Galway (Deacey's Fruit and Veg is still up and running).
What a really sad day. He was one of Villa's hardest working players ever, and one of the nicest too.  RIP Eamon!

DEACEY DEACEY AGGRO!!!

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »
Just out of interest, does anyone know whether he would then have got winners medals for the League championship and the EC. I recall he played a few games in the league, and appeared in the early rounds of the EC.

As noted in Dave Woodhall's book, Champions 1980/81 Revisited, Ron Saunders handed a medal to Eamonn at the civic reception, at which point he cried his eyes out.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 06:49:10 PM »
And then there were 13...

A cult hero from the greatest Villa-supporting days ever for those of us lucky enough to be there.  Such sad news. 

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »
It is a shame the present day players dont have 10% of the attitude that Eamonn Deacy had. Seemed to love playing for the club, always gave his all and you always knew he would get stuck in. Met him once and he was very polite and said how proud he was to be at Aston Villa. Compare that to some of the current lot.

RIP Eamonn Deacy, you will always remain in my thoughts and thank you for being part of the squad that gave me such happy memories that I will treasure for the rest of my life

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
Lovely tribute from ken McNaught.

McNaught: Deacy was the kindest bloke on the planet
Ken McNaught on Eamonn Deacy.13th Feb 2012

By Paul Brown

Ken McNaught has paid tribute to departed team-mate Eamonn Deacy, insisting: "He was great company, the kindest bloke on the planet and a top professional."

Deacy died this morning at the age of 53 following a heart attack.

And McNaught was quick to offer an insight into the wonderful, honest man he shared a dressing room with for many years.

Deacy may have only played five times in that League Championship-winning side of 1980-81 but McNaught insisted his contribution was "enormous."

Ron Saunders was a big admirer of Deacy's talents because he followed the manager's instructions to the letter - as Steve Coppell found out to his cost.

But, ironically, Deacy didn't appreciate his own worth to the side.

McNaught said: "I remember walking up to get my medal for the League Championship title win at the Mayor's Reception. Eamonn was slumped, sitting in the corner.

"I went over and said 'Eamonn, get up there and collect your medal.' He told me he didn't deserve it. But he so did - he was a huge part of our success.

"He never did go up and get it. Ron Saunders went up for him and gave it to him. That typified Eamonn. He didn't want the limelight. He wanted to just do his job with minimum fuss.

"He was so proud of the team's success but he was a modest man. I can't highlight enough the massive contribution he made.

"You knew when he played he would do a job. He followed the gaffer's instructions to the letter and that's why the gaffer trusted him.

"Eamonn used to ring Ron every New Year's Eve at midnight, including this past one, to thank him for his time at Villa and the success he had brought. I've just chatted to the gaffer and he's absolutely gutted with the news, as I am.

"The manager had a high regard for Eamonn because he did a job every time he played. He was a manager's dream.

"One time Ron asked him to man-mark Steve Coppell because he was in a rich vein of form at sending over beautiful balls to the strikers.

"He followed it to the letter, to the point where he kicked the ball out of Steve's hands when he was about to take a throw in.

"Ron screamed over: "What you doing Eamonn?" He shouted back: "You told me not to let him out of my sight!"

It was Eamonn's contribution with the camaraderie in the camp that Ken will remember most, though.

He added: "Eamonn was happy go lucky. He was such great company and the kindest bloke on the planet.

"He was top drawer in the dressing room. Everyone has a story about Eamonn. He was a comedian - and didn't realise it.

"I remember we were on a break in Spain one year. Myself, Withey and Eamonn went for a walk in the afternoon and we were off in search of a bar to have a sit and chat. We found one and I asked what Eamonn wanted.

"He said he really liked the look of sangria so we ordered him a jug. The sun was blazing down and after a while Withey and I said we were off for another walk.

"Eamonn told us to leave him there because he was enjoying himself. When we walked past him two hours later he was on to his next jug and he was bright red!"

RIP Eamonn.

Keywords
football, news

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 07:02:15 PM »
From Sir Brian of Little:

Sad Sad day for me and many other Aston Villa former players
 R.I.P. Eamonn Deacy..... all of us that knew Eamonn and those fortunate to have trained with or played alongside him will echo my thoughts. He was without doubt one of the most competitive players on the field of play someone who you always wanted on your team and yet managed to be a Kind, Polite and Gentle person.
 I wish I had seen more of him in recent years
 God Bless. BL

Offline Larry Duff

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
A very sad day. Eamonn was a great Villa man.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 07:08:05 PM »
I remember Tony Morley years ago saying just how popular Deacey was with everyone at Villa Park during his time at the club, so it's not surprising how genuinely upset the likes of Little and McNaught sound in their tributes to the man.
Really sad day for Villa and the Deacey family.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
Very sad news.
R.I.P. Eamonn.
A true Irish Lion.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
I don't mind admitting it, but reading Ken McNaught's tribute has made me shed a tear.   

"Eamonn used to ring Ron every New Year's Eve at midnight, including this past one, to thank him for his time at Villa and the success he had brought." 

Compare and contrast with so many, admittedly more talented players, who have sat in the Home dressing room since.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
In just a few appearances he made himself a Villa legend. I used to particularly like his diving-header-sliding tackles, truly a joy to watch. The world is a poorer place without him.

Touching and richly deserved tributes from his colleagues and fans alike, thank you all. But mostly, thank you Eamon. May your kind brave soul find everlasting peace
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:27:16 PM by PercyN'thehood »

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »
A snippet from Greg Upton:

I expect Messrs Rinder, Ramsay et al will be waiting to receive, sadly, another one of the chosen.

Well said.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal