collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do I give valuable time...  (Read 16899 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Why do I give valuable time...
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
My kids have been to Derby (A) Fulham (A) Arsenal (H) Swansea (H) and yesterday They looked horrified when I said they were also going on Wednesday

Have they been naughty at school or something?
Ha,they're angels Lee.They don't deserve this torture.I'm just hoping they're surely due to see a win on Wednesday

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
To me following Villa is a passion whether we play good or bad I know I'll be there next week like people have said when you go to the games you come to support the Villa and that's what's important so I'll be there come rain or shine.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
To me following Villa is a passion whether we play good or bad I know I'll be there next week like people have said when you go to the games you come to support the Villa and that's what's important so I'll be there come rain or shine.

Do you travel up for all the home games, Darren?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2012, 01:34:43 PM »
It was very much 50-50 whether I renewed this season - I did in the end but wish I hadn't wasted £525.00 of hard earned money. If this continues and there is still this stupid childish silence from the Lerner and co then there's no way I'll renew next season. He's not once stated the club's intentions after the so-called 5 year plan went wrong, and is quite frankly ignorant towards the fans. I've had a season ticket for 23 years (missing only one season) and I'm sure I'm not alone with these thoughts.

Online sid1964

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
The summer will be the true test for McLeish...if we only have between 10 - 15000 fans renew then just like the O'leary summer the board will act they will have no choice!!!

It will be interesting to see what attendance we get between now and the end of the season - if they drop regularly below the 30k mark then i think the end of McLeish is inevitable

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
  (I'd happily stood on the Holte all through the 60's, and boy were we shit then)

But it only cost 1s/6d (7.5p for the youngsters) and that included the bus fare and a bag of chips. There were only two TV channels, and no football, and the players were on less than the average Longbridge worker. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
What's funny is that my rage over yesterday has already largely subsided and come Wednesday I'll be fully expecting Villa to batter QPR. It's funny how the mind plays tricks on you!

Online maidstonevillain

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2012, 02:48:40 PM »

It will be interesting to see what attendance we get between now and the end of the season - if they drop regularly below the 30k mark then i think the end of McLeish is inevitable

But why. If Villa finish in, say, the top 14, with a substantially reduced wage bill then, by most accounts, Mcleish will have done what he was brought into do.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
  (I'd happily stood on the Holte all through the 60's, and boy were we shit then)

But it only cost 1s/6d (7.5p for the youngsters) and that included the bus fare and a bag of chips. There were only two TV channels, and no football, and the players were on less than the average Longbridge worker. 

Good points, but since I was earning the grand sum of £3.2s.6d a week, it was still quite a lot.

And it was still shit.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »

But why. If Villa finish in, say, the top 14, with a substantially reduced wage bill then, by most accounts, Mcleish will have done what he was brought into do.

Agreed. I think Lerner gave McCleish 2 objectives this season - reduce the wage bill and keep us in the PL. The only way he'll get the push is if we get relegated. And if I'm honest I think it will be the same next year with very little transfer activity in the summer other than the departure of those at the end of their contracts such as Beye, Cuellar and Heskey. We've become the Aston  Browns.

Online maidstonevillain

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »

Agreed. I think Lerner gave McCleish 2 objectives this season - reduce the wage bill and keep us in the PL. The only way he'll get the push is if we get relegated. And if I'm honest I think it will be the same next year with very little transfer activity in the summer other than the departure of those at the end of their contracts such as Beye, Cuellar and Heskey. We've become the Aston  Browns.

I am with you on that. I sense there is at least one more season of austerity and survival. What happens after that possibly depends on how much Bank of America shares recover.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »
I'm not remotely looking forward to Weds night. Right now i'm very very tempted to not bother.

See you Wednesday. Legion needs a guard!

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »
Look, if you have had enough, or can't justify the cost, or you missus has found something better for you to do, then stop going! Watching football is just a hobby, a pastime, something you do at the weekend, if you think you can give it up then carry on.
Villa will carry on without you, the rest of us will go when we can or when we feel like it.
It really isn't important enough that we need yet another "I've had enough, I'm giving up" thread every time we lose.

Have you read the thread, Dave?

Bar a couple of posts which could be read that way, it isn't one of those threads at all. In fact, it is largely the opposite.

I have now (properly), apologies to most.
But the point still stands, after just about every defeat or poor performance someone comes on here bleating about how shit it all is and how they are seriously thinking of not going again until [insert current target of popular anger] has gone.
Good, don't go, it's football, it's not really very important at all in the grand scheme of things.

You still don't get it. My question is why do we keep going back, I'm not saying I won't go back, because I know I will (already looking forward to Wednesday (?!?!).

If you were treated this way by anything/anyone else, you'd knock it/them on the head. Perhaps the only other thing people tolerate on a similar level is family. Maybe bands (my Dad has continued to see Bob Dylan from the 60's all the way through to today, even though I know he knows he's nothing compared to what he was).

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
I DO get it, I've been through it, countless times.
The thing is, I just make a decision. Is it worth my while going, or not, I don't feel the need to tell the world that I can't be arsed to watch my football team next week because they are crap.
It's your hobby, decide if you want to go or not, I for one don't care, sorry.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal