collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bomb Scare at Villa Park  (Read 8397 times)

Offline BegbieAV

Bomb Scare at Villa Park
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »
Does anyone remember a bomb scare at Villa Park in the early 70's, I think we where playing Preston and we won 2-0 and I think Charlie Aitken and Trevor Hockey scored. There was an announcement on the PA system saying they had received a phone call stating a bomb had been planted inside the ground, the stadium was not evacuated but they told us we could leave if we wanted to. I was in the Trinity enclosure AND NO ONE MOVED. :) Happy Days !!!

Offline Big Dick Edwards

Re: Bomb Scare at Villa Park
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »
I vaguely remember that but couldn't say who we were playing. When we were young and indestructible and watching the Villa, a bomb threat was easily dismissed.

Offline MAGNAN VILLAIN

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
I remember the announcement, we were in our usual place in the Holte, and yes not a soul moved, but again can't recall the away side.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
I remember one in the 80's.
Wasn't many in the ground that day.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
I was there

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
I was there

Was it against Sheffield Wednesday?? Again not a soul moved.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
Didn't they ask you to look under your seats?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »
I was there

Was it against Sheffield Wednesday?? Again not a soul moved.

I also think I recall a bomb scare vSheff Weds n a midweek league cup game around 1979. On the Holte we were singing "We'll get our balls blown off" IIRC

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
I remember it also and I was there., though I haven't a clue who it was against.
And you're right, no-one at all left. ::)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
I remember bring on the Holte for an even game way back when and one was announced and it increased the attendance as kids outside came in when the gates were opened.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
It happened a few times in the early 70's.

I used to sit in the Trinity Rd stand and it's right that you used to have to look under your seat to see if a bomb was there.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »
It happened a few times in the early 70's.

I used to sit in the Trinity Rd stand and it's right that you used to have to look under your seat to see if a bomb was there.

Thanks. Thought so. I was in the Trinity in those days.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
I remember that happening more than once. Sitting in the Trinity upper with my Mum and Dad.
Lifting up the black painted seat to see a cold half drunk Bovril amongst the cigarette ends - the remnants of the meat and potato pie may having been ticking though.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
Does anyone remember a bomb scare at Villa Park in the early 70's, I think we where playing Preston and we won 2-0 and I think Charlie Aitken and Trevor Hockey scored. There was an announcement on the PA system saying they had received a phone call stating a bomb had been planted inside the ground, the stadium was not evacuated but they told us we could leave if we wanted to. I was in the Trinity enclosure AND NO ONE MOVED. :) Happy Days !!!

It was PNE and the first game of the season, I think 74/75. I was also in the Trinity Enclosure, my first time in there. Not sure about Charlie Aitken and Trevor Hockey scoring but we certainly won 2-0. You're right though on the fact that nobody moved which was a comforting factor to me at the time.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »

It was PNE and the first game of the season, I think 74/75. I was also in the Trinity Enclosure, my first time in there. Not sure about Charlie Aitken and Trevor Hockey scoring but we certainly won 2-0. You're right though on the fact that nobody moved which was a comforting factor to me at the time.

It was 1973/74 first game of the season. Hockey and Aitken did get the goals and there were over 28,000 there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal