collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:18:06 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Moose
[Today at 11:15:08 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by AV84
[Today at 11:07:10 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:06:04 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 11:05:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:04:37 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: It's the ENDA the world as we know it, and I feel fine !  (Read 8117 times)

Offline Richie

It's the ENDA the world as we know it, and I feel fine !
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
Having witnessed consistently dire performances by Stephen Warnock of late, is anyone else of the opinion that we should give Enda Stephens a crack at left back ?

Surely he can't do any worse.

I can see why Houllier bombed him out of the squad last season now.

Offline lovejoy

Re: It's the ENDA the world as we know it, and I feel fine !
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
The more this season goes on the more I think Gerrard knew what he was doing!

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Has Enda played for the reserves yet? Or has anyone heard how he's getting on in training?
As I said in the Everton post match thread I'd rather see Neil Warnock at left back than Stephen.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:47 PM »
The more this season goes on the more I think Gerrard knew what he was doing!

When you look at Warnock, then yes, but when you look at Gabby, who he'd also have got shot of, then no.

I'm all for giving Edna a crack, but I can also see Clark playing there once Herd is back.  Or we get a new midfielder!

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
Has Enda played for the reserves yet? Or has anyone heard how he's getting on in training?
As I said in the Everton post match thread I'd rather see Neil Warnock at left back than Stephen.
Yes he played for the reserves against Arsenal (I think) Had a good game by all accounts

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:35:49 PM »
As ever things get a bit exaggerated. He's been poor the last 2 home games but he was very good at Chelsea. I think it's a bit for Enda, he needs a couple of sub appearances rather than to just be thrown in at the deep end.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:37:20 PM »
Yes he played for the reserves against Arsenal (I think) Had a good game by all accounts
The reserves are playing Wolves tonight so he might be in that.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 01:38:04 PM »
As ever things get a bit exaggerated. He's been poor the last 2 home games but he was very good at Chelsea. I think it's a bit for Enda, he needs a couple of sub appearances rather than to just be thrown in at the deep end.

He wasn't very good at Chelsea.  I was there and although he wasn't as bad as he's been against Swansea and Everton he was still giving the ball away almost every time he had it and he was getting ripped apart by Sturridge.

I'm just not sure Edna is ready yet.  I think Clark or Herd is a safer bet.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »

He wasn't very good at Chelsea.  I was there and although he wasn't as bad as he's been against Swansea and Everton he was still giving the ball away almost every time he had it and he was getting ripped apart by Sturridge.

I disagree, he played Sturridge well. Why would Herd, a midfielder with one right back performance to his name, be an option at left back? That makes absolutely no sense.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »
I can't see Enda Stevens being any worse than Warnock has been the last couple of games. Throw him in.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

I disagree, he played Sturridge well. Why would Herd, a midfielder with one right back performance to his name, be an option at left back? That makes absolutely no sense.

My apologies - I was thinking Lichaj when I wrote Herd.  That said, Warnock's major weaknesses are his horrendous lack of pace, his inability to judge a tackle and his distribution.  I would trust Lichaj, Clark, and even Herd over Warnock on all of those criteria.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »
Warnock has been awful for pretty much the whole season, and even taking into account everyone putting in a decent shift at Chelsea, he's pretty frightening at times of late.

Having said that, though, Stevens has only been training with us for a few weeks, and none of us have any idea what he's like, so it's hard to say with any conviction that he's ready.

Bit of a tricky situation. Player performing badly is our only option in that position.

Offline supertom

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 01:48:35 PM »
Warnock wasn't too bad at the beginning of the season but he's been mostly poor for the last 3 months now. Back to how bad he was last season, and the tail end of the season before.
In all honesty, often this season, Warnocks had the benefit of Hutton on the opposite side of the pitch, playing even worse than him, and masking how crap he is.

I'd like to see a total shuffle at the back. I'd give Stevens a couple of games. He'd struggle to be any worse than Warnock has been. If Steven's struggles, we put Clark at left back, or hell, even Delph. Delph would at least offer something going forward and give away just as many silly free-kicks as Warnock does.

The sooner we get Collins, Hutton and Warnock out the team, the better.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
I'd like to see Herd at RB - he played quite a bit there in the reserves and although, as Chris Smith says, he's only had 1 first team game at RB he was man of the match. Unfortunately I can't see McLeish picking him there instead of the awful Hutton so I'd put him in midfield and move Clark to LB I'd instead of Warnock, whose confidence is completely shot. I'd like to see Mcleish start introducing Enda Stevens over the next 3 or 4 games though.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
I dont think playing Enda just yet is wise.  Let him have a few more reserve games and hopefully some substitute appearences in the first team before giving a full 90 mins.  Warnock needs to go, most likely in the summer as I cant see him being shifted this transfer window especially with the "small" squad we have.  Any ideas when Lichaj is 100% fit?  I know he is training again right?
I've mentioned it in some other post about Warnock but GH knew what he was doing when he froze him out last season.  He clearly isn't good enough anymore.  His best season  was when he first signed for us which resulted in him being called up to the england squad.  Since then, its gone all down hill for him

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal