collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:33:36 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:33:23 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What do you call a Gareth Barry without a fat arse?  (Read 17421 times)

Offline Hoppo

Re: What do you call a Gareth Barry without a fat arse?
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
Fantastic post Shoody. With the youngsters mentioned the future is bright. We dont seem to be producing young defenders as much now. Saying that Josh Webb looks promising. Baker and Williams not sure about at all. While were on the subject of youngsters get Siegrist on the bench instead of journeyman Marshall.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
Clark doesn't have the same range of passing as Barry, or is quite as comfortable on the ball. No shame in that, few players are. Barry was absolute class in that respect.

He is still very good on the ball and also has a good turn of speed, is good in the air and has no problem with getting his shorts dirty. A lot of things that Barry seemed incapable of, despite his ample frame.

Clark is a better player than Barry, and ideally suited to the role just in front of the back four. I hope he stays in that position.

We have always seemed to be suckers for the player that exploits the gap between our defence and midfield. A big factor in recent performances has been that Clark has stitched that area up completely.

It's not that he has just been playing well himself, the way he's filled the position has done much to mask the immobility of those behind him. Its also allowed Petrov to play further forward in a position that suits his own skills far better.

Clark has some potential but is a long long way from being a better player than Gareth Barry.

Barry was a regular first teamer at 17 in a side much better than the one we have to watch today. He is now one of the preferred midfield players in a side with more individual talent than any I've seen before (Premier League anyway).

The way he left could have been better handled but he deserves the opportunity to add some honours to the 500 odd games he played for us.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2012, 07:20:54 PM »
Clark is far from even being equal to Barry. He has some potential but has yet to prove this over any length of time so calls of him being the next messiah are premature.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »
The point I was making is that he has more all round qualities than Barry. That makes him, to me at least, a better footballer.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 08:18:51 AM »
The point I was making is that he has more all round qualities than Barry. That makes him, to me at least, a better footballer.

Not sure he does. Don't get me wrong: I think Clark will be a fantastic CB / DMF. But Gazza Bazza is more versatile.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »

Not sure he does. Don't get me wrong: I think Clark will be a fantastic CB / DMF. But Gazza Bazza is more versatile.

I agree, I don't think Clark has the strength or passing range of Barry. Nor does he have the ability to dictate a game in the way Barry did for many seasons. I'm not writing Clark off, but I believe this is premature and we've been here with so many of our youngsters that have failed to live up to expectations.

Offline Rick_avfc

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
Dont forget Clark is still young.  Barry didn't control games at Clark's age.  He developed that over the years and so did his passing ability. im sure Clark can develop all these over the coming years.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »

Sorry Steve, but what on earth are you basing that on?  During a long career with Villa, Barry played as a central defender, left back, left midfielder and central defender, and was excellent in them all.  I know we don't like him any more now that he's left, but let's not a) rewrite the history of a very good Villa player, and b) pretend that Clark has achieved anything at all yet.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 04:05:44 AM »
When barry emerged as a 17 year he looked head and shoulders above most players on the pitch.  He was probably the first player I'd seen come through the ranks and I probably did not realise at the time how rare it was for a player of that quality to be homegrown.  I've certainly never seen anyone else be so effortlessly good, especially at that age.

A crucial word is "effortless" though, as I think his footballing brain and skill is world class.  He is not however a natural athlete.  Gabby on the other hand is an exceptional athlete but does not have the classiness or finesse of Barry but is still a superb footballer.

Clark is probably somewhere in between the two, in the sense he is a better athlete than barry but does not appear to have his class.  This does not mean he cannot develop into a great player but one or other characteristic will have to improve to really stand out.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 10:03:01 AM »
I really rate Clarke but he is no where near the footballer that Gareth Barry was at the same age.  He does however not have one major weakness which Barry did and still does - his abject lack of pace.

While Clarke will improve as a footballer, Gaz Baz has never got any quicker. I think you need both. (unless you like Beckham and have unbelivable crossing ability and good looks).

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
Barry made his name as a defender, but then lost his place under Gregory and eventually re-emerged as a very good midfield player, which is where he plays to this day.  Clark is, to my mind, a natural CB who is currently playing in midfield.

So any comparisons should wait until we've seen Clark have a run in his best position.  All you can say thus far is Barry IS a very good player and Clark looks like becoming one.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
Barry made his name as a defender, but then lost his place under Gregory and eventually re-emerged as a very good midfield player, which is where he plays to this day.  Clark is, to my mind, a natural CB who is currently playing in midfield.

So any comparisons should wait until we've seen Clark have a run in his best position.  All you can say thus far is Barry IS a very good player and Clark looks like becoming one.

I just don't think Clark has enough physical presence to be a centre half. He also has a tendency to commit himself which I guess should improve with experience. Lack of pace also counts against him in that position.

I think a holding midfield role is the position that suits him best as he has a knack of making time for himself and passes the ball well.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
I wouldn't say Barry's lack of has gone against him though. Not everyone need to be able to run at the speed of gabby or ronaldo. Barry has a very good footballing brain. The vision and skill to pick out a pass and start building attacks outweighs is pace.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
I just don't think Clark has enough physical presence to be a centre half.

He's 6 foot 2 and at only 22 has the time to fill out a little.  Plus, I see him as more of the 'covering' CB playing off a big man, so physical presence is less important.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
I wouldn't say Barry's lack of has gone against him though. Not everyone need to be able to run at the speed of gabby or ronaldo. Barry has a very good footballing brain. The vision and skill to pick out a pass and start building attacks outweighs is pace.

But only unless you have superb technical ability, Cruyff or Hoddle like.  Barry is very good but not 'world class' so a lack of pace will be an issue, especially when playing against the best.   Don't forget, he left us to play in the Champions League.  Anyone who saw him embarressed in Germany's 4th goal in the 4-1 rout at the World Cup will see how a lack of pace at the top level can make you look very stupid. 

A great player for us mind but he did tend to go missing in big matches.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal