collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Open advice to AM  (Read 20783 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Re: Open advice to AM
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
Open advice, stop chewing gum you look like a bull dog chewing a wasp

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
Serious piece of open advice to Alex McLeish.

Stop being scared of losing.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
Serious piece of open advice to Alex McLeish.

Stop being scared of losing.

Exactly and improvement will stem from that. I want to be excited watching Villa and players like Gardner coming in would do that.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 10:30:17 PM »
Open question to Batucada; do you seriously think we're currently in a position to go to Spurs and dominate possession, whoever the manager?

Yes, that's what people have been doing - screaming blue murder about our failure to dominate possession.

Honest, Chris, I am a great admirer of your work, but you're having an absolute nightmare on this one.

Read the opening post again, that's exactly what he's saying.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 10:34:35 PM »
Open question to Batucada; do you seriously think we're currently in a position to go to Spurs and dominate possession, whoever the manager?

Do you think its ok to go to spurs  and just sit back all game? If Villa took your attitude we wouldn't even be in the premier league and its sad to see that in recent years we have gone to old trafford, anfield, stamford bridge etc. and showed no fear and shocked a lot of people yet we go to spurs on monday have hutton on the wing heskey on the other wing and show no intention of ever going forward?

Yes, shame we don't have such good players as we did then.

We lost, the manager got it wrong. It happens, always has done. Only now we need half a dozen threads portraying it as the worst thing ever and a betrayal of our most sacred beliefs.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 10:35:33 PM »

Yes, that's what people have been doing - screaming blue murder about our failure to dominate possession.

Honest, Chris, I am a great admirer of your work, but you're having an absolute nightmare on this one.

Read the opening post again, that's exactly what he's saying.

the ship's not sinking yet Chris . its a bit early to start doing your last man off the boat skit. we're just pointing out the bloody great iceberg half a mile away.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 10:40:36 PM »
Greg, if you found an ice cube in your Sunny Delight you'd call it an ice berg. Doom and gloom is your default setting.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 10:46:18 PM »
Chris, are you ever going to stop lecturing people about how they should think and feel after a game you haven't even seen?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:56 PM »
the guy just made a few points about our performance and where we're currently going wrong. I don't think its a hysterical panic reaction to ask we don't hoof it out of defence and give it to the opposition. Seems a reasonable request, as are his other points. Nowhere do i see "we're doomed!!!" or anything similar. Only one over-reacting on this thread is you

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 10:57:04 PM »
Chris, are you ever going to stop lecturing people about how they should think and feel after a game you haven't even seen?

I can't stop something that I haven't even started. However, the over reaction to a single result/performance is a time honoured tradition on the Internet and that's what I'm taking issue with.

The manager tries something different and it didn't work. If he'd played a more attacking side and we'd lost the same people would be having a go for that. It's just the way things work.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »

I can't stop something that I haven't even started. However, the over reaction to a single result/performance is a time honoured tradition on the Internet and that's what I'm taking issue with.

The manager tries something different and it didn't work. If he'd played a more attacking side and we'd lost the same people would be having a go for that. It's just the way things work.

Doing your Mother Superior act when you haven't even seen the game to see what people are so upset about is showing a Coopers Injury level of foolishness.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
I doubt if there was this much whining after when Chelsea put 7 past us. Come to think of it, I was probably the most controversial. I said 'sack O'Neill' and got slaughtered for it.

By the way, one bright suggestion on the Villa Facebook site this morning asked why we don't have Kevin MacDonald on the bench.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »

Having a different opinion is one thing, but it's coming across as you lecturing people on how they should feel and think. Which is made worse by the fact you haven't even seen the game.

And it might be worth remembering that there wasn't this reaction to the 4-1 defeat at City. The reason, we gave it a legitimate shot and lost to a better side. Shit happens. You don't seem to grasp that it's not the defeat that's the issue with Monday, it's the manner of it.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 11:14:29 PM »

Doing your Mother Superior act when you haven't even seen the game to see what people are so upset about is showing a Coopers Injury level of foolishness.

I was going to ask Chris for his opinion on the game and how we lined up, approached the game etc, but if he didn't see it, then there is no point.

If you were one of the midfielders on the bench and saw Alan Hutton line-up ahead of you, you must be a little confused.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »
I doubt if there was this much whining after when Chelsea put 7 past us. Come to think of it, I was probably the most controversial. I said 'sack O'Neill' and got slaughtered for it.

By the way, one bright suggestion on the Villa Facebook site this morning asked why we don't have Kevin MacDonald on the bench.

Getting beat is part of life.  I have to say that when Man City swatted us aside, I barely raised an eyebrow.  We gave it a go, they were better than us, shit happens.   To listen to Chris though, there were only two possible outcomes at Spurs.  Go there and attempt to play football and get thrashed, or play Hutton in midfield and lose less badly.  Apparently going there and playing well and winning is completely beyond the realms of possibility under this team and manager.  Looks like Chris has got the perfect manager, no wonder he's so happy.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal