collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Class of '82 Induction  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Class of '82 Induction
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
Hall of Fame

They are arguably Villa's favourite sons - and that's exactly how they were described by their former manager after being inducted into the National Football Museum's Hall of Fame.

Members of the 1982 European Cup-winning squad gathered at the Holte Suite for a ceremony conducted by Ron Saunders, who led Villa to the title in 1981 before controversially resigning half-way through the European Cup campaign.

Villa went on to win the trophy under the late Tony Barton, but Saunders was delighted to be reunited with the players nearly 30 years after his departure.

"To see them honoured in this way makes me so proud," said Saunders. "Even after all these years they are still like sons to me."

It was a night of nostalgia as Villa's Class of 82 joined only six other teams - including England's 1966 World Cup squad - in being inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Skipper Dennis Mortimer said: "The beauty of it is we have always stayed in touch, and it's great that we can come together to remember the European Cup win.

"For our names to go into the Hall of Fame, and know they will be there forever, is fantastic"

Our exclusive video features interviews with Nigel Spink, Dennis Mortimer and Allan Evans.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Class of '82 Induction
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »
It sounds like a very special night.  I hope everybody there cheered them to the rafters.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:55:43 AM »
It should have been Ipswich  :'( :'( :'( :'( ;D

Good on the '82 Team for being inducted into the Hall of Fame, they deserve it.   

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:07:32 AM »
Fantastic!

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:33:40 AM »
A very special team, seared in the memory of all those who had the privilege: all these years later I can recite the names without hesitation.

As an aside, how come Tony Morley is in his 50s but still looks like he's young enough and fit enough to turn out and do a good job for us?!

Offline myf

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »
Saunders looks very healthy as well.  How old is he now?

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 10:54:09 AM »
A very special team, seared in the memory of all those who had the privilege: all these years later I can recite the names without hesitation.

As an aside, how come Tony Morley is in his 50s but still looks like he's young enough and fit enough to turn out and do a good job for us?!

Me too. I can remember those halycon days much better than most of the intervening 30 years with the odd exception. Even then though, you knew it wouldn't last and we would cock it up in true Villa style. I can look at a team photo from any of those years and rattle off every name - I often wonder how many Chelsea or Man Utd fans could do the same from the same era. In fact, I reckon I could name more of their players from back then than they could...

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:45 AM »

Me too. I can remember those halycon days much better than most of the intervening 30 years with the odd exception. Even then though, you knew it wouldn't last and we would cock it up in true Villa style. I can look at a team photo from any of those years and rattle off every name - I often wonder how many Chelsea or Man Utd fans could do the same from the same era. In fact, I reckon I could name more of their players from back then than they could...

I am the same. They remain heroes to me and always will be. I was lucky enough to meet Peter Withe about 12 years ago and when I first saw him I was like a star-struck teenager again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal