collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3 Norwich City 2 - Saturday 13th December, 1975  (Read 5282 times)

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
Aston Villa 3 Norwich City 2 - Saturday 13th December, 1975
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »
The opponents and scoreline on Saturday reminded me of the last time we had a similar scoreline against Norwich.

Almost thirty-six years ago, on a very cold Saturday afternoon, the Division One game against Norwich went ahead despite the pitch being almost completely covered in snow, and the ground being bone hard. I do not believe if a referee was faced with similar conditions today he would allow the match to go ahead, but the players rose to the occasion to produce a game much like last Saturday's, with the Daily Express on the following Monday stating: 'turnstiles would click happily again if every club and every professional footballer put as much zest into their game as Villa and Norwich'. 'It was a pleasure to take part in a game like that' said Norwich manager John Bond. 'The pitch could have beaten the players and spoilt the game, but the players beat the pitch and provided a great game to watch' said Villa manager Ron Saunders.

In front of a crowd of 30,473 Martin Peters scored for Norwich in the first minute, before Ray Graydon (17 mins) and John Deehan (22 mins) made it 2-1 at half-time. Ted MacDougall equalised for Norwich after 54 minutes before John Deehan scored his second, and the winner, in the 57th minute.

Deehan had staked his place in the team following cartilage operations for both Brian Little and Keith Leonard, but had only scored once in his previous six matches, hence the headline in Monday's Birmingham Post: 'Two-goal Deehan ready to be axed'. John Deehan, unsurprisingly, stole the headlines in other reports of the game, with the Sports Argus headline being: 'Deehan double - Thriller at the Villa as goals flow' and that in the Sunday Express: 'Villa can be proud of Deehan.'   

The Villa team was: Burridge, Gidman, Robson, Ross, Nicholl, Phillips, Graydon, Deehan, Gray, Hamilton, Carrodus, Sub: Pimblett
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:51:16 PM by BC54 VFC »

Offline Charlie8182

Re: Aston Villa 3 Norwich City 2 - Saturday 13th December, 1975
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »
I remember a 3-2 win at home to Norwich in March 1983, we fell behind twice but fought back through Withe and Shaw, but the best goal came from a cracking goal from Eamonn Deacy- his only goal for us I believe.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
The opponents and scoreline on Saturday reminded me of the last time we had a similar scoreline against Norwich.

Almost thirty-six years ago, on a very cold Saturday afternoon, the Division One game against Norwich went ahead despite the pitch being almost completely covered in snow, and the ground being bone hard. I do not believe if a referee was faced with similar conditions today he would allow the match to go ahead, but the players rose to the occasion to produce a game much like last Saturday's, with the Daily Express on the following Monday stating: 'turnstiles would click happily again if every club and every professional footballer put as much zest into their game as Villa and Norwich'. 'It was a pleasure to take part in a game like that' said Norwich manager John Bond. 'The pitch could have beaten the players and spoilt the game, but the players beat the pitch and provided a great game to watch' said Villa manager Ron Saunders.

In front of a crowd of 30,473 Martin Peters scored for Norwich in the first minute, before Ray Graydon (17 mins) and John Deehan (22 mins) made it 2-1 at half-time. Ted MacDougall equalised for Norwich after 54 minutes before John Deehan scored his second, and the winner, in the 57th minute.

Deehan had staked his place in the team following cartilage operations for both Brian Little and Keith Leonard, but had only scored once in his previous six matches, hence the headline in Monday's Birmingham Post: 'Two-goal Deehan ready to be axed'. John Deehan, unsurprisingly, stole the headlines in other reports of the game, with the Sports Argus headline being: 'Deehan double - Thriller at the Villa as goals flow' and that in the Sunday Express: 'Villa can be proud of Deehan.'   

The Villa team was: Burridge, Gidman, Robson, Ross, Nicholl, Phillips, Graydon, Deehan, Gray, Hamilton, Carrodus, Sub: Pimblett

This was one of my first games,  Brian.  My Dad often talks about it. My family are from Perry Common, so we used to stand on the Witton Bank. This day, my Dad sat me on a stanction at the front of the Witton End, very close to the cage where the players come out - I remember John Deehan scoring twice - but most of all I remember how cold it was.

I was six - and almost crying because it was so cold, so my Dad asked me if I wanted to go home - but I wanted to stay and watch the end of the match !

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
I remember being on the end of a 3-2 scoreline vs Norwich at home in 1992-93. Both of us were going for the title yet we played like a relegation outfit first half. 2-0 down to shockingly defended goals and an awful performance from Ehiogu yet we somehow got back into it with a flukey goal from Houghton that went in under the diving Gunn. Garry Parker made it 2-2 and we looked the most likely until Daryl Sutch scored a late winner for them. The 6 pts we dropped to Norwich that year arguably cost us the title as much as the goal drought we suffered at season's end.

Offline BC54 VFC

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »
I apologise for the first, incorrect, line of my post; you're quite right Charlie8182.

I've been scratching my head as to why I missed the game to which you refer, played on 5th March, and realised that I was ill with flu, having also missed the Juventus game three days before. It appears this was one of only two occasions in the past 38 seasons that I've missed two successive home games, the other being when my younger son was born in March 1992.

The interesting thing about those two games in March 1983 was that the attendance for the Juventus game was an excellent 45,531, whereas there were only 18,624 at the Norwich game.   

Offline BC54 VFC

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »

This was one of my first games,  Brian.  My Dad often talks about it. My family are from Perry Common, so we used to stand on the Witton Bank. This day, my Dad sat me on a stanction at the front of the Witton End, very close to the cage where the players come out - I remember John Deehan scoring twice - but most of all I remember how cold it was.

I was six - and almost crying because it was so cold, so my Dad asked me if I wanted to go home - but I wanted to stay and watch the end of the match !

That's really interesting Martin. That was my first season on the Holte End, having stood at the Witton End for the two previous seasons, and prior to that in the Witton Lane Stand with dad, mum and sister, to which stand I reverted around 1984 when my fiancee, then wife, started coming to the games.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 05:31:13 AM »
I was at this one too and remember it being my best birthday present that year (my birthday was the day before). I was on the Witton End with my dad and it was so cold we moved from our normal spot on the left of the goal to the corner by the Trinity to get out of the wind.

I went away convinced that Deehan would be a hero for years to come. My dad calmed me down by saying the midfield was in need of more strength for the First Division. A few days later we signed a certain Dennis Mortimer......

Offline Damo70

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »
I apologise for the first, incorrect, line of my post; you're quite right Charlie8182.

I've been scratching my head as to why I missed the game to which you refer, played on 5th March, and realised that I was ill with flu, having also missed the Juventus game three days before. It appears this was one of only two occasions in the past 38 seasons that I've missed two successive home games, the other being when my younger son was born in March 1992.

The interesting thing about those two games in March 1983 was that the attendance for the Juventus game was an excellent 45,531, whereas there were only 18,624 at the Norwich game.   

The difference in attendances was partly due to the fact that the Witton Lane stand wasn't full of every Italian waiter in England for the Norwich game.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »
I would say the Juventus attendance was poor rather than excellent - we couldn't sell out a game against possibly the best and certainly the most star-studded team to play in England for years, if not ever? And as Damo said, there were thousands of away supporters as well. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 03:44:53 AM »
But when was the last time we got anywhere near 45,000 prior to that game? How many teams sold-out for big games in 1983?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 05:37:41 AM »
If I remember correctly the Juventus game was all ticket. Don't forget that in those days all ticket games, although quite infrequent, were also seen as a pain - you had to go to the ground to get a ticket in advance of the game. I remember that put off a couple of mates who were working away on sites and were not sure if they would be back in time.

When Villa Park was a semi final venue the crowd was often 2000 or so below capacity even though all tickets had been sold in advance. I think it was just a fact of life in those days.

Offline montague

• GM : 13.12.2015
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
I would say the Juventus attendance was poor rather than excellent - we couldn't sell out a game against possibly the best and certainly the most star-studded team to play in England for years, if not ever? And as Damo said, there were thousands of away supporters as well. 

Wasnt the capacity about 47000 then?

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 04:50:03 PM »

I remember this game back in 1975 - AND how desperately do we need to beat them again this weekend ?

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
I remember a 3-2 win at home to Norwich in March 1983, we fell behind twice but fought back through Withe and Shaw, but the best goal came from a cracking goal from Eamonn Deacy- his only goal for us I believe.

just after he scored I believe :)

UTV
The Doc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal