collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy wants to cut wages further - Mirror article  (Read 36357 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Randy wants to cut wages further - Mirror article
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2011, 03:09:57 PM »
Blimey, now buying "Beye" is money wasted in the most "hideous and wanton manner imaginable".

I agree it was a poor signing but some perspective please. There's an increasing tendency to overstate arguments with hyperbolic language and the result is polarised and unproductive discussions.

Your debating style gets worse by the day.  I didn't even mention Beye, so to suggest that the money I was talking about being wasted was only on him, and then telling me to get some perspective based on your completely incorrect interpretation is ridiculous.  You're either being dim or setting yourself up as the new Coopers Injury to get a reaction.

Oh come off it, you're just deflecting now. You've often been way over the top in your choice of language but each post now seems an attempt to outdo your previous efforts. I'd expect to see phrases like "most hideous and wanton manner imagineable" in a debate about war or famine not a football clubs transfer policy.

The truth is some money was well spent, some less so. The overall amount was, in my view, not enough considering where we started from to put us in a position where finishing sixth could be classed as a major underachievement.

As usual, that's complete bollocks from you.    I said that we've wasted a large amount of money, and whether you agree or not, to try and paint as that as some somment about Habib Beye is utterly childish, stupid and downright ridiculous, which is par for the course for you these days.  If we havaen't wasted such mo much money, particularly on high wages for underperforming and rubbish players, why is that we're now undergoing a period of austerity that makes George Osborne look like Father Christmas?

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2011, 03:15:24 PM »
It is funny how with the Cleveland Browns, the suggestion of a change to the colour of the strip has distracted some fans from criticism of the team/club. I wonder if that would work with us.

Just putting that out there. 

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2011, 03:18:03 PM »
Clubs don't exist in a bubble. We know more about others now than we ever did, so if their employees are well-known to their own supporter,s chances are that they'll be well-known to others. The CEOs of the three most successful clubs of the past twenty years aren't. That's the point.

I'd imagine every Villa fan can, or at least should be able to, name our chief executive.  I'd be very surprised if fans of other clubs, certainly those outside the Midlands area, would know the name Paul Faulkner.  Why?  Becuase it's of no interest to them.  I've probably read the names of the guys of at the clubs you mentioned dozens of times this year alone in the papers or heard them mentioned/interviewed on tele, yet I would not recall them as they simply do not interest me.  I'd imagine the same of Faulkner no matter how much, how regularly or how well he communicates with us.   

You expect someone to be very well-known to us, but not to anyone else? I think that's a bit unlikely. I do agree that we need to sharpen up the PR, but we had one central figurehead before and look where that got us. We should also maybe remember that during the days when Randy was being lionized, one of the things he was congratulated for was his low media profile. It might appear a bit of a volte face to now say he should be in the press all the time. Besides, as Chris says, what could he or anyone else say that wouldn't be picked to pieces?

Isn't it Phil Mepham's job?

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2011, 03:30:07 PM »
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/WhosWho

Phil Mepham went a while ago I think, it's Russell Jones these days.

Offline Risso

« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
Faulkner's lack of communication wih the fans is but one of many shortcomings.  I struggle to think of anything that has gone right since he became chief executive.  When you have an inexperienced owner giving jobs to his friends regardless of their suitability for the position, in my expereince it's not a recipe for success.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
Faulkner's lack of communication wih the fans is but one of many shortcomings.  I struggle to think of anything that has gone right since he became chief executive.  When you have an inexperienced owner giving jobs to his friends regardless of their suitability for the position, in my expereince it's not a recipe for success.

Exactly what is his background does anyone know?  I have asked this loads of times before.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #141 on: October 10, 2011, 03:56:12 PM »

Risso, I think he's doing what he's told.

To Randy he appears to be a 'safe pair of hands' - a 'better the devil you know' appointment if you like.

I agree, he represents us as CEO without a football CV, and it seems that he's learning on the job which is not good at all.

He needs a Sir GT with him, someone who knows the game, the industry inside out.

To Villa, marketing is the signs around the ground, the emails, the ST packs, the shirt prices etc, it's not about the football side of things I don't think, and yes, we do need that.

We also need a 'voice' - someone who communicates with the media, good or bad news.

Not every day of the week, but on a regular enough basis for us to know where we are, what the plans are.

Simple things like the lack of corner screen were communicated twice; The Gen said it was down due to a redevelopment of the corner of the ground while Faulkner says it's down because its low graphics and being aesthetically wrong.

Which is it ? 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:57:44 PM by TimTheVillain »

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »

Exactly what is his background does anyone know?  I have asked this loads of times before.

This is PF's CV :-

Chief Executive
Aston Villa Football Club
Privately Held; Sports industry
May 2010 – Present (1 year 6 months)

Chief Operating Officer
May 2008 – April 2010 (2 years)

Relationship Manager
MBNA
Public Company; 10,001+ employees; BAC; Banking industry
1999 – 2004 (5 years)

Education

University of Cambridge
MA, History
1997 – 2000

Offline Risso

« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »

Chief Executive

Chief Operating Officer

Relationship Manager
MBNA
1999 – 2004 (5 years)

Education

University of Cambridge
MA, History
1997 – 2000

So it looks suspiciously like he went straight from university to be a customer care manager at MBNA, and from there to Villa.  He's no more experience or suitability for the job than that airhead Mansfield Town appointed a couple of weeks back.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #144 on: October 10, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »

Darren Bent springs to mind.  Both the signing and how we went about it.

His biggest failiure, IMO, was the MON thing and not seeing the issues during summer 2010 and acting on them. 

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »

Chief Executive

Chief Operating Officer

Relationship Manager
MBNA
1999 – 2004 (5 years)

Education

University of Cambridge
MA, History
1997 – 2000

So it looks suspiciously like he went straight from university to be a customer care manager at MBNA, and from there to Villa.  He's no more experience or suitability for the job than that airhead Mansfield Town appointed a couple of weeks back.

I reckon he is the guy off that bank advert a few years by, you know the one that took great joy filling the machine with cash before proclaiming 'it's not all work, work, work.'

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
Risso, your George Osborne studied modern history at university and has no experience in finance yet he's Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »

To Villa, marketing is the signs around the ground, the emails, the ST packs, the shirt prices etc, it's not about the football side of things I don't think, and yes, we do need that.

I hate my profession being brought down to some nice signs, a few e-mails and season ticket packs!

As the product that the Villa sells is football, the marketing IS about the football side of things, its about the strategic marketing of a football club, which covers the finances, players and pretty much everything about the club.

[Which it appears has not been good]

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
As usual, that's complete bollocks from you.    I said that we've wasted a large amount of money, and whether you agree or not, to try and paint as that as some somment about Habib Beye is utterly childish, stupid and downright ridiculous, which is par for the course for you these days.  If we havaen't wasted such mo much money, particularly on high wages for underperforming and rubbish players, why is that we're now undergoing a period of austerity that makes George Osborne look like Father Christmas?

You just can't help yourself, can you? I make that a "complete", an "utterly" and a "downright" topped off by your usual hyperbole in the final line.

I used Beye merely as an example but we'd have had to spend all of the money on Anne Widdecombe to justify the kind of language you used.

That's my stance; you lessen your argument and polarise the debate by over egging a point. Few things are "totally", "absolutely" or "completely". You're not the only one and I know I've done similar myself in the past but it seems to be more and more common on the site these days and I think it makes it harder to discuss things sensibly.

Offline Risso

« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2011, 04:13:52 PM »
Risso, your George Osborne studied modern history at university and has no experience in finance yet he's Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Exactly.  How's that working out?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal