collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by remy
[Today at 05:52:44 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:56:02 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: It's Warnocks turn.  (Read 12277 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: It's Warnocks turn.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 12:06:07 PM »
So now GH is to blame for our horrendous injury situation last season?  Ridiculous.

I'm with Eigentor/Walnuts/Gage on this one, too many players wanted to remain in the the comfort zone they were in under MON.  Proper professionals, especially on the wages they are on,  should have accepted the new manager's ideas and tried to adapt.  GH wanted them to play a bit more football,  wanted them to concentrate on training while at training rather than taking mobile calls or texting, and wanted them to work on their weaker areas.  What a bastard eh?  And for mere peanuts, it must have been sheer hell.   Okay GH is hamfisted in his interpersonal skills as we could all see from his public outpourings, and he should have tried a more softly softly approach to changing things, but the players can't put all the blame on the ex-boss.

All managers fall out with players - the much loved MON managed to fall out with several players he had (very expensively) signed himself, including coming to blows with one of them. 

Plus Warnock is mediocre anyway, and worth nowhere near the 8m we overpaid for him.  Would much rather GH had stayed and shipped some of these wasters out.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
To be honest, if the players had any brains about them, they'd refrain from talking too much about last season, lest they remind us of their own roles in it.

To listen to some of them recently, you'd think they contributed nothing to it. I don't remember Houllier forcing Dunne and Collins to go out and get shitfaced on the team bonding exercise and start throwing punches around, and I also don't see how Houllier was responsible for Dunne coming back from the summer the size of a branch of Tesco Express.

It is also somehwat early to start trumpeting how your success reflects your happiness with the new management team. We're six or seven games in. Come back and triumphantly tell us when we're sixth after 26 games, not 6.

I still reckon long term GED would have proved a better bet than Eck for progression.

So do I. For all his failings, Houllier had started to at least try to get us playing football, to pass the ball around a bit. I'll give AM a chance to show us his ethos, but it'd be beyond depressing to have parted company with one "traditional" British style manager, gone through all the pain of the Houllier year, started to show some progression, to then regress to the less appealing aesthetics of the British game.

Good post

I never look at the league table until Christmas which is roughly halfway

talk of us being unbeaten in 7 and in 6th place will mean jack shit by then

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
So now GH is to blame for our horrendous injury situation last season?  Ridiculous.

I'm with Eigentor/Walnuts/Gage on this one, too many players wanted to remain in the the comfort zone they were in under MON.  Proper professionals, especially on the wages they are on,  should have accepted the new manager's ideas and tried to adapt.  GH wanted them to play a bit more football,  wanted them to concentrate on training while at training rather than taking mobile calls or texting, and wanted them to work on their weaker areas.  What a bastard eh?  And for mere peanuts, it must have been sheer hell.   Okay GH is hamfisted in his interpersonal skills as we could all see from his public outpourings, and he should have tried a more softly softly approach to changing things, but the players can't put all the blame on the ex-boss.

All managers fall out with players - the much loved MON managed to fall out with several players he had (very expensively) signed himself, including coming to blows with one of them. 

Plus Warnock is mediocre anyway, and worth nowhere near the 8m we overpaid for him.  Would much rather GH had stayed and shipped some of these wasters out.
Easy to say ship out the wasters but who to ? They've all got contracts and I didn't see any managers fighting for their signature and where would the money have come from to replace all these players on top of Young,Downing,Walker,NRC and Friedel ?

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »
Fair point Zoggy and maybe this had as much, if not more,  to do with GH being let go than his health situation.  GH and some senior players didn't get on, can't shift the senior players, then maybe you have to shift the manager and get someone in whose methods meet with their approval.  Maybe it was a question of trying to get the best out of what you are stuck with.  If so then ultimately that's another legacy of MON's contracts and wages mayhem.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
Fair point Zoggy and maybe this had as much, if not more,  to do with GH being let go than his health situation.  GH and some senior players didn't get on, can't shift the senior players, then maybe you have to shift the manager and get someone in whose methods meet with their approval.  Maybe it was a question of trying to get the best out of what you are stuck with.  If so then ultimately that's another legacy of MON's contracts and wages mayhem.
That's exactly how I see it KT and I know it's early days but AM at least seems to be achieving this 

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »
That's exactly how I see it KT and I know it's early days but AM at least seems to be achieving this 

Well the players, notably the rebels from last year, seem to like AM, but we've not had any real tests so far this season.  So far so average and it remains to be seen whether AM is going to be a better option than GH.  I just think it's shame if GH got the elbow partly because of a situation that was due to his predecessor's errors of judgement.

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »

Well the players, notably the rebels from last year, seem to like AM, but we've not had any real tests so far this season.  So far so average and it remains to be seen whether AM is going to be a better option than GH.  I just think it's shame if GH got the elbow partly because of a situation that was due to his predecessor's errors of judgement.
GH was definitely too poorly to continue. I heard him on the radio a couple of weeks ago and he said he was still only 80 % fit and would not be returning to football management so I don't think he was elbowed out as such, but maybe RL got scared at the amount of money GH was requiring for his Summer signings and thought lets work with what we've got hence why we ended up with Alex not Rafa

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
GH continuing in the same high pressure role as before was never really a runner following his second major healthcare.

But I increasingly think that keeping him on in some capacity, as a co-ordinator, or Technical Director was an avenue that could have been explored further.  We had to pay him the bulk of his huge salary when he departed anyroad.  In purely cynical terms (and I know it sounds cynical when we are talking about a guy recovering from his type of illness) keeping him on might have actually given us something for our money.

Perhaps giving him the remit of spotting and signing players, and being responsible for overall strategy and someone like a Sanchez Flores or a Laudrup being responsible for team selections and day to day training directly under him would have been the way to go.  Continental coaches are used to having transfers and the like largely decided by someone else.  They would tolerate it better than the typical British control freak manager.

It would have been a departure for us, for sure.  Going the European route.  Definitely a gamble.  But -who knows- it might have actually worked.   I doubt it would have altered the cold, hard reality that 6th place is just about the best we could do, but you never know. If nothing else, there would have been a degree of excitement, perhaps a more progressive style of football and I doubt gates would have fallen away as drastically as they have.

It would have also looked like a degree of continuity, and would have perhaps countered this recent notion that the board don't have a clue.  Hindsight being 20/20 vision, and all that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:49:46 PM by KevinGage »

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »
GH continuing in the same high pressure role as before was never really a runner following his second major healthcare.

But I increasingly think that keeping him on in some capacity, as a co-ordinator, or Technical Director was an avenue that could have been explored further.  We had to pay him the bulk of his huge salary when he departed anyroad.  In purely cynical terms (and I know it sounds cynical when we are talking about a guy recovering from his type of illness) keeping him on might have actually given us something for our money.

Perhaps giving him the remit of spotting and signing players, and being responsible for overall strategy and someone like a Sanchez Flores or a Laudrup being responsible for team selections and day to day training directly under him would have been the way to go.  Continental coaches are used to having transfers and the like largely decided by someone else.  They would tolerate it better than the typical British control freak manager.

It would have been a departure for us, for sure.  Going the European route.  Definitely a gamble.  But -who knows- it might have actually worked.   I doubt it would have altered the cold, hard reality that 6th place is just about the best we could do, but you never know. If nothing else, there would have been a degree of excitement, perhaps a more progressive style of football and I doubt gates would have fallen away as drastically as they have.

It would have also looked like a degree of continuity, and would have perhaps countered this recent notion that the board don't have a clue.  Hindsight being 20/20 vision, and all that.

I think this is a decent idea. Allthough not my first choice when appointed, I always find myself defending GH on here. Firstly because between the PR gaffes, cup defeatism and unneccessary player fall-outs there were actually some spells of football worth watching (even if results weren't always great). Secondly, because he at times managed to make me believe (allthough possibly a pipe dream) that he had a plan for long-term success that didn't rely solely on massive spending (though surely more investment than we saw this summer). It was a couple of bright spots in the dull affair of following a team outside the top four, and I miss both.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 10:30:24 PM »
I did say earlier in the summer I would have preferred a Hughes or a Moyes.

I wouldn't attempt to play down or gloss over some of GH's errors either.  I never thought I'd hear a Villa manager speak the way he did after the Anfield and Man Citeh debacles.

But a behind the scenes, less pressurised role might have suited his talents more at this stage of his life -and wouldn't have resulted in the same foot in mouth incidents as per last season.  He could definitely spot a player, Kyle Walker, the lad who eventually went from Barcelona reserves to Chelsea (Romalou?) and Fofana -who was the star player at the recent U21 tournament.  Bannan was also singing his praises earlier in the week- as the first Villa manager to display a degree of faith in him (even though he should have probably featured more last season).

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »
I agree with what you've said above Kevin Gage, and it would have been nice to see us try that. But with RL being stuck with MON's overpaid, over-contracted comfort zoners with a very "British" attitude to how things should be done, I suppose he thought going down the "European" route was just another recipe for all out revolt. 

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 08:23:44 PM »
Houllier had one idea: get the fuck out of France as he was instrumental in keeping Domenech on for the French fiasco at the last World Cup. He tried to come to us on a sabbatical year. I was shitting myself for Villa.* Bollocks to him, notwithstanding health issues.

*Funnily enough, with McLeish, I'm just mildly constipated.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
Ah yes, how triumphantly brilliant he was in the more directorial role being suggested on here.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:11 PM »
Ah yes, how triumphantly brilliant he was in the more directorial role being suggested on here.

One less point from the home games compared to your Martin's bestest ever season, despite an injury crisis, a player revolt and no pre-season to work with the lads suggests they were both crap, just one slightly more than the other.

Bring back Brian.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
I assume you've taken off the points won by KMac and GMac? Where would O'Neill be in an all-time table counting only away points?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal