collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 02:03:25 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:52:56 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 02:03:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:01:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:59:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:58:50 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:56:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:55:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:55:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Back off Ireland. & Hutton, too.  (Read 20981 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Back off Ireland. & Hutton, too.
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2011, 02:11:01 PM »
I didn't want us to sign Ireland as I was convinced he'd be trouble but he's starting to show what he has to offer. What we get with him, Bannan and Delph in midfield is much better movement and therefore more creativity. If you can't see that then perhaps you're not as good a judge as you think you are.

Yes, because you're a better judge of a football than Roberto Mancini, Gerard Houllier, Alan Pardew and Gary McAllister.

Why can't you just have an opinion rather than constantly having a pop at other posters?
To be fair to chris then, who was he having a pop at? Or is it that his opinion doesn't match yours?

He said that anyone who's opinion didn't match his is 'not as good a judge as you think you are'.  It's unnecessary.  He could've just stated his view and left it at that.  Instead he went with his usual 'if you don't agree with me you don't know what you're talking about' attitude.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »

Not sure Ireland & Bannan can play in the same side, too lightweight & fancy.

I'd be mightily pissed off if they don't continue to.

I've consigned myself to a mid table type season, so the least i'd like is to see passing, attractive football.  Bannan and Ireland are our best passers of the ball by a country mile.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
I didn't want us to sign Ireland as I was convinced he'd be trouble but he's starting to show what he has to offer. What we get with him, Bannan and Delph in midfield is much better movement and therefore more creativity. If you can't see that then perhaps you're not as good a judge as you think you are.

Yes, because you're a better judge of a football than Roberto Mancini, Gerard Houllier, Alan Pardew and Gary McAllister.

Why can't you just have an opinion rather than constantly having a pop at other posters?

Could you be any more pompous? You called it the we love Stephen Ireland thread, implying that you're a better judge that all this at the game yesterday who appreciated his efforts and gave him a good ovation when he was taken off because he was injured.

You appear to have no appreciation of the different roles players are asked to do.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »

Could you be any more pompous? You called it the we love Stephen Ireland thread, implying that you're a better judge that all this at the game yesterday who appreciated his efforts and gave him a good ovation when he was taken off because he was injured.

You appear to have no appreciation of the different roles players are asked to do.

What's pompous about that?  Do you even know what the word means?!

I called it the 'We love Stephen Ireland thread' to acknowledge it was a thread set up to be overtly positive about him when I was about to post something that didn't fit the theme.  That's not implying anything. 

But please, based on your knowledge from apparently being in the Villa dressing room yesterday, what role was he asked to do?  Because I don't recall him setting up or scoring any goals.  I don't remember him creating any chances.  I don't remember him putting in many tackles.  In fact, the only thing I remember him doing was skying a superb chance to score.  The game mostly passed him by.  If that's the role AM asked him to play then we have bigger issues than Stephen Ireland.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »

I also know what unintentional irony means.

He was at the front of the diamond, his job was to keep the ball moving quickly and allow Delph and Bannan to play around him. I didn't need to be in the dressing room to know that, just use my eyes and understanding of the game. Were you there?

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2011, 09:13:26 PM »

I also know what unintentional irony means.

OK, so now either you don't understand pompous, irony, or maybe both.

He was at the front of the diamond, his job was to keep the ball moving quickly and allow Delph and Bannan to play around him.

His job was to let other players play around him?  Bloody hell, I'm getting a call in to the Villa first thing tomorrow morning - I could stand there and let other players play around me - and I'd even do it for half Ireland's salary!!

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
Right, so you weren't there. That explains a lot.

Let me explain something, you appear to be a bit slow on the uptake. You acted hurt at the thought of being called pompous and followed it up by asking if I understood the word. Your response was, therefore, to be pompous. That you didn't see the irony makes it even funnier.

Football is a team game, Ireland linked things together in our midfield. His movement and ability to move the ball quickly allowed others, Bannan in particular, to flourish. He wasn't brilliant but he had a decent game and it was appreciated by the majority of the crowd.

Let's leave it there, we're not going to agree on this.

Offline Compass

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »
I still would rather see the back of Ireland. He's been here for over a year who has contributed very little and still remains one of the highest earners.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »

Let me explain something, you appear to be a bit slow on the uptake. You acted hurt at the thought of being called pompous and followed it up by asking if I understood the word. Your response was, therefore, to be pompous. That you didn't see the irony makes it even funnier.

Football is a team game, Ireland linked things together in our midfield. His movement and ability to move the ball quickly allowed others, Bannan in particular, to flourish. He wasn't brilliant but he had a decent game and it was appreciated by the majority of the crowd.

I was there so I've got just as much right to have an opinion on this as you.

Definition of pompous - 'Affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important'.  I haven't shown any of these, either in the initial comments that set you off or in asking if you understood the word.  Since you used it incorrectly, to ask if you understood it was a genuine question and displayed neither pomposity nor irony, intentional or otherwise.

And again you go with 'you appear to be a bit slow on the uptake' - yet more abuse of other posters rather than just sticking to your views.  I'm guessing here but I reckon at least 15,000 of your 25,000 posts are attempting to explain yourself when you've upset other posters.  The other 10,000 involve unprovoked abuse.

You just don't get the idea of debate do you?

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
I still would rather see the back of Ireland. He's been here for over a year who has contributed very little and still remains one of the highest earners.

I certainly wouldn't want to see the back of him.  I don't think we can afford to let one of our top 2 passers of the ball go.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
Not a great fan of Hutton, but he was ok defensively on saturday.  Ireland was worth his place, it just isn't quite happening for him at the minute, but his workrate has definitely improved.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
Not a great fan of Hutton, but he was ok defensively on saturday.  Ireland was worth his place, it just isn't quite happening for him at the minute, but his workrate has definitely improved.

Chris made a good point about Ireland's movement and quick retention of the ball allowing the other midfielders time and space to influence the game.  Rat face Neville said last week that Manure always had specific meetings on how to deal with Ireland's threat.

I'm sure that given a proper run in the team, we'll start to see goals and assists from him too.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2011, 10:39:37 PM »

I was there so I've got just as much right to have an opinion on this as you.

Definition of pompous - 'Affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important'.  I haven't shown any of these, either in the initial comments that set you off or in asking if you understood the word.  Since you used it incorrectly, to ask if you understood it was a genuine question and displayed neither pomposity nor irony, intentional or otherwise.

And again you go with 'you appear to be a bit slow on the uptake' - yet more abuse of other posters rather than just sticking to your views.  I'm guessing here but I reckon at least 15,000 of your 25,000 posts are attempting to explain yourself when you've upset other posters.  The other 10,000 involve unprovoked abuse.

You just don't get the idea of debate do you?

You turned a general "perhaps you're not as good a judge as you think you are" into a supposed "pop at other posters" and I'm the one who doesn't get debate? It's ludicrous, by posting a contradictory opinion we are all automatically implying that we know better than the other person. That's the essence of having an opinion. It doesn't mean that we don't recognise the right of others to see things differently just that we think they're wrong.

Yet you, seemingly uniquely, can't accept that.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2011, 10:48:32 PM »
Chris you are very pompous at times.  The winky thing.  We go back a long way.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
Ireland and Delph are very much worth sticking with because the potential rewards are great. With Bannan they are all great passers and that's exactly what we need. I know Delph is spraying a few loose ones now and then but he'll get there. I'm a fan of his anyway.

There might be something in this "diamond" at times and we have N'Zogbia (who will hopefully settle in soon) and/or Albrighton to change it to a wider game when we need to. Plus Gardner (once he gets in the team he'll be a fixture, I'm telling you) and Herd to come in and maybe Jenas will stop doing an impression of an old woman and be fit soon.

Hutton, well I always write off the first few months of a new signings Villa career. If they make an immediate impact great but all too often they need time to adjust and so I always say see how they go after a few months. I think he's capable but its a bit erratic at the moment.

As Chris says, there is definitely a decent team there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal