collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by remy
[Today at 05:52:44 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:56:02 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Quote from Bent  (Read 20474 times)

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Quote from Bent
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
I'd say that it may be worth dropping him as Gabby is on a hot streak and having two strikers is leaving our midfield over exposed.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
It sounds like a case of 'roughing it' for a season or two then hopefully taking stock and having another go. I think we should have re-invested more than what we did in the summer, and not being able to bring in anyone on loan until people were out the door was worrying and on occasions puzzling, but it's where we are and we need to get behind it, however frustating it feels.

Offline eastie

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
It sounds like a case of 'roughing it' for a season or two then hopefully taking stock and having another go. I think we should have re-invested more than what we did in the summer, and not being able to bring in anyone on loan until people were out the door was worrying and on occasions puzzling, but it's where we are and we need to get behind it, however frustating it feels.

I agree with you clampy but it really is depressing right now and the performances of the team are doing little to inspire much hope .

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »

That's exactly the thing, but people now won't rough it for two minutes.

Offline eastie

« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

That's exactly the thing, but people now won't rough it for two minutes.

The thing is in 2 seasons time we will be light years behind the top teams in the country and it will take a damn sight longer than 2 years before we can compete at the highest level-stand still and teams go past and away from you , and yes i know there are many in the same boat as us but as a fan of course its depressing.

Its going to be a long bleak period of mediocrity ahead i fear and for much much longer than a couple of years.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:39:41 PM by eastie »

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »

You can see the advertisements for next years season's tickets now' Come along and see another season of roughing it'.

Roughing it is fine, but in two seasons time, even those players who are performing now will be older and either be out of form or towards the end of their careers. So not only have you got to make up for lack of investment now, but will have to invest for the loss of talent in a couple of years. Also, will non-hardcore fans see out this period with the club having that attitude.

Everton are just about coping on not buying much new talent in and keeping roughly the same squad for several seasons, but eventually, they will either have to spend or be in trouble.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
Extremely difficult to keep a player once he expresses a strong desire to leave though, sometimes it happens and the player performs but often it just causes more disruption and unrest.
Who can blame young or downing for going where they did , we got good money for both but the problem is the money wasnt spent on investing in new players.

Both Everton and Bolton told Wenger to sod off when he made bids for Jagielka and Cahill. Even though they weren't great offers, I'm sure they could have done with the funds and I'm sure both players would have been tempted by a move to Arsenal, regardless of their current problems. You are seeing a lot of clubs now holding out and selling a player when it is right for them, not for the club buying them.

Also Jagielka has stated yesterday that he still has faith in the club after committing himself to Everton, even during their crisis. When has a Villa player targeted by another team ever said that?

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »
I'd say that it may be worth dropping him as Gabby is on a hot streak and having two strikers is leaving our midfield over exposed.

I would agree if I wasn't so sure that would mean Bent agotating for a move before we could blink. The problem we have at the moment is that Gabby is now hitting some form and as him and Bent don't really work in the same team we will ultimately have to piss one of them off.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »

I agree with you clampy but it really is depressing right now and the performances of the team are doing little to inspire much hope .

I'm not depressed, Arsenal fans might be and i bet Plymouth fans definatley are. We're not playing great football but 5 games in and we're unbeaten. That stat will start to wear thin if we don't start picking up 3 points more often, but it's not slit the wrists time just yet. A little less negativity would go a long way.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2011, 05:07:49 PM »
Extremely difficult to keep a player once he expresses a strong desire to leave though, sometimes it happens and the player performs but often it just causes more disruption and unrest.
Who can blame young or downing for going where they did , we got good money for both but the problem is the money wasnt spent on investing in new players.

Both Everton and Bolton told Wenger to sod off when he made bids for Jagielka and Cahill. Even though they weren't great offers, I'm sure they could have done with the funds and I'm sure both players would have been tempted by a move to Arsenal, regardless of their current problems. You are seeing a lot of clubs now holding out and selling a player when it is right for them, not for the club buying them.

Also Jagielka has stated yesterday that he still has faith in the club after committing himself to Everton, even during their crisis. When has a Villa player targeted by another team ever said that?

Bolton just asked too much for Cahill and the buying clubs know they'll get him for a much cheaper price as his contract runs down. He's not so good that people will play that kind of money.

Everton sold Arteta instead. According to the Guardian this morning they've borrowed against their TV income for the next two years just to stay afloat, comparing us unfavourably to them is ridiculous.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »
'Borrowing is just spending the other man's money'

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »

Bolton just asked too much for Cahill and the buying clubs know they'll get him for a much cheaper price as his contract runs down. He's not so good that people will play that kind of money.

Everton sold Arteta instead. According to the Guardian this morning they've borrowed against their TV income for the next two years just to stay afloat, comparing us unfavourably to them is ridiculous.

Who's comparing clubs? it is just comparing scenarios. As you state, even though Everton are virtually bankrupt, they still refused to sell Jagielka. Yet, Villa who aren't virtually bankrupt have sold two of their best players in the closed season. I think the comparison is there. I bet the board would have been desperate to sell him, but would have been worried that Moyes might have walked. 

The point is, clubs are selling players when it is best for them.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
If they'd have got the right offer they'd have sold him, just like they did with Lescott, Piennar and Arteta and the same as we did with Downing. We also used some of the money we received to buy players which I'm sure Moyes would have liked the opportunity to do.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
As you state, even though Everton are virtually bankrupt, they still refused to sell Jagielka. Yet, Villa who aren't virtually bankrupt have sold two of their best players in the closed season.
And at the moment we have no idea which was the right way to do things.

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »
Villa may not be on verge of bankruptcy but who knows what financial state Randy is in over the pond?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal