collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Quote from Bent  (Read 20473 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: Quote from Bent
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
I think we need to wait and see what impact Jenas has on the way we play before draw any firm conclusions. The manager clearly recognises there is an issue with our midfield, that's why he signed him, so I think any criticism is misguided at present.

I think the best thing that you can say about Jenas is that he's "athletic" (when he isn't injured that is).  I can't say that I'm expecting him to transform the drab rubbish that passes as our football these days.

It's coming to something when the entire attacking ethos and performance this season is going to be determined by the impact of Jermaine Jenas.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 03:11:05 PM »
I think we need to wait and see what impact Jenas has on the way we play before draw any firm conclusions. The manager clearly recognises there is an issue with our midfield, that's why he signed him, so I think any criticism is misguided at present.

I think the best thing that you can say about Jenas is that he's "athletic" (when he isn't injured that is).  I can't say that I'm expecting him to transform the drab rubbish that passes as our football these days.

It's coming to something when the entire attacking ethos and performance this season is going to be determined by the impact of Jermaine Jenas.

That's a slightly melodramatic way of looking at it.

Offline Merv

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »
It is.

I'd say we have glaring weaknesses in our midfield, and we're hoping our new midfielder can make us stronger in that department.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
I feel sorry for Bent and he's a victim of the lack of options in midfield as much as AM's negative tactics. Personally i'd like to see us do away with wingers as a)the one's left are a pale shadow of the ones  at the club 12 months ago and b) the centre of midfield is too weak to cover for them. mebbe a diamond formation with gabby and Bent up front, and N'zogbia/allbrighton at the top of the diamond in a roaming roll. Then hopefully we could get find someone who can do a reasonable job at DM while the rest of them compete for the two other places. That way with three in midfield we won't get overrun or lose it so much and you could accomodate someone a bit more attacking.

Offline eastie

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »
No doubt bent saved us from relegation last season but so did downing and ash who created most of his goals between them-we maybe could get by on losing one of them but losing our two most creative players is proving very difficult at the moment.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
No doubt bent saved us from relegation last season but so did downing and ash who created most of his goals between them-we maybe could get by on losing one of them but losing our two most creative players is proving very difficult at the moment.

Talking of which, did anyone see Modric's goal at the weekend. Not bad for someone who wanted out. Spurs held firm, whilst we sold the kitchen silver. And replaced with what?

Offline eastie

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:55 PM »

Talking of which, did anyone see Modric's goal at the weekend. Not bad for someone who wanted out. Spurs held firm, whilst we sold the kitchen silver. And replaced with what?

True and to be honest i dread to think where we are heading , if randy no longer wants to or can afford to compete at the highest level then we need new investment or we become another bolton happy to just exist in the top flight.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »

True and to be honest i dread to think where we are heading , if randy no longer wants to or can afford to compete at the highest level then we need new investment or we become another bolton happy to just exist in the top flight.

And where does this magical new investment come from?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2011, 01:47:37 PM »

And where does this magical new investment come from?

Perhaps he should show some imagination and try to attract a business partner? Or dare I say it a share issue. Do you really think we are moving upwards with this regime? The General can't be arsed and prefers some Daytime University job, at least when Doug was in charge he was at the club day in day out. Running the Browns and Villa is too much I feel for RL.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »

It's not really the same though, is it? Modric had just signed a new 5 year contract, so the club were in a much stronger position than with either Young or Downing. It would have been nice to have been able to hold out, but the cost in doing so would have been too much for, potentially, relatively little reward.

Offline eastie

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2011, 01:59:43 PM »
God knows dave, only can hope that someone comes along here like at Chelsea or man city but with the new financial rules we will not be able to compete with those mega rich clubs who start from such a strong position with the squads we have - in reality who would invest huge money now in a club like us - probably nobody!

I fear we must face the coming years as a club who aim to exist in the top flight rather than compete at the top level of it, sadly rarely have I felt so depressed about the way our club is heading , but I guess it's the same for most clubs including the likes of everton and newcastle as well- the gap will widen and the game is poorer for it.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »

It's not really the same though, is it? Modric had just signed a new 5 year contract, so the club were in a much stronger position than with either Young or Downing. It would have been nice to have been able to hold out, but the cost in doing so would have been too much for, potentially, relatively little reward.

Yes they got him signed to a new contract, but they obviously knew teams were interested in him. Redknapp, like or loath him, isn't no fool. Offering a bumper new contract firstly could put off suitors, or secondly ensure that a huge fee has to be paid. 

We don't know what 'outstanding' contract Young was allegedly offered, but it all seems like we had taken it for granted we had to sell him for finances.

The same with Downing. Virtually everyone hates him, but we sold our best player from last season without fighting for him to stay.

It seems most fans like to keep towing the party line of 'Oh well, if he don't want to play for us he can f**k off'.

Offline eastie

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
Extremely difficult to keep a player once he expresses a strong desire to leave though, sometimes it happens and the player performs but often it just causes more disruption and unrest.
Who can blame young or downing for going where they did , we got good money for both but the problem is the money wasnt spent on investing in new players.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »
Perhaps he should show some imagination and try to attract a business partner? Or dare I say it a share issue. Do you really think we are moving upwards with this regime? The General can't be arsed and prefers some Daytime University job, at least when Doug was in charge he was at the club day in day out. Running the Browns and Villa is too much I feel for RL.

A share issue. Didn't we have one of them, then when Randy came along we unanimously agreed that being a  PLC was a bad thing and one man should be in sole charge? The general was never anything more than a non-executive director who rarely visited the club and has little impact on its day to day running. Randy doesn't do much with the Browns. As was said at the time, they're his dad's club and Villa are his. 

Things may not be going forward now, but they will change. They always do. That's football. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:08:38 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline eastie

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »
Not sure id say villa is randys club and the browns were his dads club , im sure i remember reading a few years back after he took over about him being asked which club meant more to him and he was quoted as replying "well you know its the browns".
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:14:40 PM by eastie »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal