collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playing under Houllier was a chore says Dunne  (Read 19373 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Playing under Houllier was a chore says Dunne
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »
this isn't news. They interviewed Collins a couple of weeks back about the same thing. It's not remotely relevant now. Everyone knows there were problems, and both sides contributed to it. The players were lambasted and rightly so for their role, but clearly Houllier could have gone about it a different and/or better way.

What I do know if that Dunne wasn't sold. He came back from the summer in superb shape, and his form through a couple of weeks for club and country has been outstanding. In a couple fo months, AM has clearly motivated the players back to point where there is some semblance of unity in the camp. That will provide a great platform from which to build.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
As pointed out, Dunne's problems last season were of his own making. He came back from the holidays completely unfit, several weeks before Houllier and McAllister arrived. Like many people, he prefer to blame his own failings on other people. And because it is true that Dunne was poor last season; that he is much better this season; that Houllier was unsuccessful and fell out with his main defenders, Dunne can produce a plausible narrative that explains his numerous shocking performances last season and largely absolves himself of the blame. But that doesn't mean the narrative is true.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2011, 06:01:16 PM »
He's not really saying anything controversial here is he?  To paraphrase, "last season was shite, I didn't enjoy it.  This one is shaping up to be better".  Sorry to use a cliche (but it's true) the line between success and failure in the premier league is minute.  Players don't go out trying to play badly, but if they're in any way whatsoever below par the standard is so unforgiving that it often results in failure.  This really is where a manager earns his corn so to speak.  For whatever reason, Houllier was just not quite right for this squad of players.  Not his fault, not really theirs I'd argue to an extent.  Misbehaving and getting pissed on a team bonding is pretty bad, but effort wasn't necessarily the problem.

He's been back to the old Dunne for the main part of this season and there isn't anybody better in the league when this is the case.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
As pointed out, Dunne's problems last season were of his own making. He came back from the holidays completely unfit, several weeks before Houllier and McAllister arrived. Like many people, he prefer to blame his own failings on other people. And because it is true that Dunne was poor last season; that he is much better this season; that Houllier was unsuccessful and fell out with his main defenders, Dunne can produce a plausible narrative that explains his numerous shocking performances last season and largely absolves himself of the blame. But that doesn't mean the narrative is true.

It wasn't just Dunne last year though was it?  Gabby, playing in the same position as he is now, looked lost.  This year he's back to his best.  OK, he was carrying an injury for some of the last season.  Delph, never got a look in, this year he's a starter and impressing.   Different players suit different managers. 

Dunne really doesn't strike me as being somebody who go out to perform badly.  Maybe he was carrying an imjury that caused his extra poundage at the start of last year? 

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »
You're right. Houllier's two main problems last season was his lack of pragmatism and his lack of an assistant who could bond with the players. He is an ideas man, and without someone who could explain his ideas to the players and provide him with feedback of how they reacted to his schemes, he was probably perceived as out-of-touch and aloof and not really taken seriously.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »
I'm just glad Dunne is back to his best this season.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 11:56:44 PM »
There are a whole list of reasons why Dunne and other players did not perform last season. I think with the group of players we now have. Mcleish`s simple approach is easier for them to take on board. We do not have the technically gifted players that would of suited Houlier hence a happier and more enthusiastic team ......

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 12:26:55 AM »
Gabby has been saying similar although much more aimed at GMac, who was clearly the bigger issue throughout.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 02:08:38 AM »
Gabby has been saying similar although much more aimed at GMac, who was clearly the bigger issue throughout.

It's all over the Sun website, Gabby is saying Houllier held him back for a year!

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »
You're right. Houllier's two main problems last season was his lack of pragmatism and his lack of an assistant who could bond with the players. He is an ideas man, and without someone who could explain his ideas to the players and provide him with feedback of how they reacted to his schemes, he was probably perceived as out-of-touch and aloof and not really taken seriously.

Plus the influence of players who had previous issues with GH....eg Warnock, Carew and Friedl to name but three who could have contributed to the atmosphere in the dressing room.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »
If he thought playing was a chore, I'd say watching them play weren't much cop either. The difference is, we paid for the pleasure.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 01:00:12 AM »
We're four games into the season and have yet to play a team with a striker worthy of the description.

It's  bit early to be declaring Dunne to be the hero and Houllier the Villain.

Both Wenger and Ferguson marked their early years by moving out the cowboys and drinkers. A few were retained (Robson & Adams),  the odd one perhaps should have been (McGrath), but by and large true success came when squads of committed professionals had been assembled.

Houllier no doubt was of a similar mind. His mistake was to go for revolution rather than evolution with the main transfer window long since closed.

Houllier wasn't necessarily right, but he also wasn't necessarily wrong simply because some of the cowboys and pissheads took exception to having their cages rattled.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 09:23:50 PM »
From The Athletic, Stephen Ireland on Houllier:

“I’ve played for a few really, really horrendous managers,” he said. “I thought one in particular was Gerard Houllier. It baffles me how that guy has ever got a football job, and it scares me. It makes me think that I could easily be a manager if he’s doing it, my gardener could easily be a manager if he’s got a job, because I thought he was that bad.”

What did Houllier do to deserve that appraisal?

“Every team talk Gerard Houllier gave was about his time at Liverpool. He was like: ‘Come on guys, because I told Steven Gerrard and Danny Murphy this, and they went out and done this in the second half.’ I’m thinking: ‘You’re trying to get us riled up for the second half by telling us about Steven Gerrard and Danny Murphy?’ Honestly, you would see everybody giving each other the eyes.

“I didn’t think he had a clue about football. Everybody is training like maniacs to get in the team on Saturday and I remember he was four football fields away looking at the flowers and walking around with his hands behind his back. How is he picking the team on a Saturday? It’s frightening, frightening. That’s what killed me.

“He didn’t play me. He gave me bits and pieces here and there, made me play with the kids again, and I thought: ‘What the hell is going on?’ He sent me on loan to Newcastle and arghhhh… it was just like, ‘What is going on with my career?’

I know Ireland is a twat but fuck me, what a hopeless mess this club was for years.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »

From The Athletic, Stephen Ireland on Houllier:
“I didn’t think he had a clue about football. ’

“He didn’t play me. ’

He clearly had at least one clue about football then. Twat.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2019, 09:39:05 PM »
He sent me on loan to Newcastle and arghhhh… it was just like, ‘What is going on with my career?

In fairness, that's no way to treat a human being.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal