collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Playing under Houllier was a chore says Dunne  (Read 19391 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Playing under Houllier was a chore says Dunne
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »
It's clear that GH made the mistake of trying to change too much, too soon. When we got back to basics in the last third of the season results picked up.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
Think Houllier played the classic new broom, he wanted to change everything in the shortest possible time, I can't see to much wrong with what he's saying TBH, although i do take the point there's something very strange about a footballer that equates what he's doing to any kind of hard work, kind of makes you think just how closeted these modern footballers are from the real world.

On the upside it sounds like the squad are beginning to gel with AM, so lets see it on the field of play please, preferably on Saturday would do very nicely.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
Meh. As long as he puts the shifts in now, who cares? GH is in the past.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
It's clear that GH made the mistake of trying to change too much, too soon. When we got back to basics in the last third of the season results picked up.

Think Houllier and the plot were lost ages ago, pre Villa.

Offline Merv

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:19 AM »
I haven't got a problem with Dunne, he's knuckled down and got on with it now and is playing very well. Three of our current back four had problems with the management, the fourth's left the club. Whatever Houllier was trying to do last year, he managed to alienate several players - at which point do you start thinking the problem was less about the players, and more about the manager?

Offline spud1950

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
Any player that doesnt like the managers etc .Should still be giving 100% .Plus should have the balls to tell him and ask to leave  .If they dont wont to leave etc .They shold knuckle down and play for the fans the shirt and  club and earn there wages .Like we all have to

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »
I haven't got a problem with Dunne, he's knuckled down and got on with it now and is playing very well. Three of our current back four had problems with the management, the fourth's left the club. Whatever Houllier was trying to do last year, he managed to alienate several players - at which point do you start thinking the problem was less about the players, and more about the manager?

If you were slagging off the players last year and can't bring yourself to admit it was really the manager's fault, then never.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
At least Dunne had the balls to speak his mind.He was good before Houllier and he's been good since Houllier.I said last season how it was funny that the supposed bad egg commanded plenty of respect from all of his previous managers.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:50 PM »
We have all had to work for a boss we didn't like but most of us didn't have the small matter of being paid tens of thousands of pounds a week to play football for The Villa as the upside.

Offline Merv

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:47 PM »
Any player that doesnt like the managers etc .Should still be giving 100% .Plus should have the balls to tell him and ask to leave  .If they dont wont to leave etc .They shold knuckle down and play for the fans the shirt and  club and earn there wages .Like we all have to

Which I think Dunne did last season, to be fair. His form dipped but he was picked regularly whenever fit and put the effort in. And I think he did tell the manager what he thought of the situation, hence the arguments and the fact he's admitted he would almost certainly have left the club in the summer.

Offline Merv

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 01:30:10 PM »

If you were slagging off the players last year and can't bring yourself to admit it was really the manager's fault, then never.

Quite, John. I said last season how it was odd that you'd got the likes of Warnock and Collins, barely a peep of dissent out of them in their careers, suddenly coming across as bad boys. Anyway, we seem to be moving on from those days now and it's good to see more of a settled squad, and in particular a more settled defence.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

If I fell out with my boss there's no way I'd give 100%

Plus, Dunne couldn't leave until the summer (after Jan) & probably knew GH was going anyway.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
I don't much care what Dunne says or thinks about the previous regime that's all history.  All that matters now is that he gets back to the good form he is capable of and he's showing that so far this season.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
Dunne came back unfit well before Houllier was appointed so he was bound to struggle to impress a new manager looking to stamp his mark on the team.It was just another example of player power and the number of individual agendas and griefs that Houllier had to contend with.No wonder his heart played up.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 05:29:42 PM »
I'm sure he will feel very at home when he moves to the US next year

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal