collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Changes to coaching staff  (Read 10589 times)

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

Changes to coaching staff
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:28:29 AM »
Kevin MacDonald is set for a first team coaching role, after Alex McLeish confirmed changes to his backroom staff.

MacDonald will now work alongside assistant manager Peter Grant and coach Gordon Cowans with the first team, while a fellow academy coach - yet to be decided - will be elevated to the permanent role with the reserves.

McLeish also announced Tony Gennoe as the new first team goalkeeping coach.

Gennoe, who previously worked alongside Kenny Dalglish at Blackburn, Celtic and Newcastle, comes in until the end of the season.

The 58-year-old, from Shrewsbury, will work with Shay Given, Brad Guzan, Andy Marshall and Elliot Parish.

McLeish admits he is excited about the changes.

He said: "I've changed the coaching staff round a little bit. We've enhanced it.

"We've got Sid there and Peter obviously, my assistant, and I've promoted Kevin to help with the first team as well.

"At a club like this we need all the best coaches we can get.

"Kevin is great and so is Sid, who is quietly effective in terms of saying the right things to the young ones. They've got a lot of respect for him.

"A lot of them have grown up with Kevin too and he's definitely got something to add to the team in terms of the information and his knowledge.

"We'll now promote someone from within for the reserves.

"We've got a new goalie coach in Terry, who will be on the staff until the end of the season at least and then we'll assess things.

"Terry worked with Shay for a long time and is a bit of a mentor for him.

"There are a couple of goalie coaches out there that Shay has worked with. But we know that Terry has great qualities.

"We did a bit of diligence on him and I've had great feedback from people like Kenny Dalglish.

"Trust is very important and loyalty's very important - no doubt about it. But more importantly, they have the credentials and they know what they're talking about."

Hopefully this will bring about the changes to get the best out of what we have available!

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Changes to coaching staff
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »
Great news Re KMac.Another good decision by our manager
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:33:35 AM by ZoggyAlways »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 08:35:06 AM »
About bloody time

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 08:37:31 AM »
Someone give me a shout when we start playing some attractive, pass and move, intelligent football in that case...I won't hold my breath though

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:47:14 AM »
Someone give me a shout when we start playing some attractive, pass and move, intelligent football in that case...I won't hold my breath though

Second goal on Saturday ?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »
I wondered why Kevin Mac was on the field with the players on Saturday. Good move in my view.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »
Good move.

So presumably if we've got a new goalkeeping coach McLeish has got rid of the French guy?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:29:02 AM by Matt C »

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 09:26:47 AM »

Seconded

I know BB has just been man of the match for the Sweaties but I know I'll start with Ivanhoe.

All the coaching in the world can't remedy that

Online KRS

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
Good move as long as changes bring better performances and results.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 09:36:59 AM »

Seconded

I know BB has just been man of the match for the Sweaties but I know I'll start with Ivanhoe.
All the coaching in the world can't remedy that

I bet you two are fun at a party.

Having an extra coach does suggest that AMc and his team will be working a lot more with the players in the future (certainly compared to MON's two hour training sessions).  I think it is vitally important that extra time is invested in a young squad as they need tactical debriefing etc if they are to get better.  It also mirror's AMc's post match comments where he stressed a couple of times that he thought he could get a bit more out of the players.

In an ideal world we'd obviously be buying a few more "finished articles" but in this world the extra coaching and apparent work ethic of AMc will hopefully see us improve.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »
I was only saying last week that in order to succeed McLeish needs staff who can train the players to play an effective form of attacking football. All the evidence is that the manager can manage a decent defence, foster a good team spirit, but tactically, from the edge of the 18 yard box forward, is utterly clueless.

This is an interesting move.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
I kind of assumed that Sid was in charge of "attacking" training.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 10:21:02 AM »
I think this is a great idea but the main benefit is that KMac has worked with and is very familiar with many of the players coming through to the first team now. As well as Sid of course.
This can only be a good thing.
He's also a good coach and the players love him

I'm guessing Tony Mac or Bryan Jones will be the new reserves boss.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »
It does create space further down the club too so a good opportunity to groom one of our more promising ex-players.

Offline Merv

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »
Ah, I thought something had happened when I saw Kev Mac sitting on the dugout on Saturday. I'm sharp like that. Him and Sid in the first team coaching set-up now - I like it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal