collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:21:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 02:13:51 PM]

Re: VAR by paul_e
[Today at 02:09:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:08:41 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 02:05:37 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:04:45 PM]

Re: MOTD by LeeB
[Today at 01:56:14 PM]

Re: VAR by LeeB
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What is it about Emile Heskey?  (Read 23858 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: What is it about Emile Heskey?
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2011, 04:49:04 PM »
He's not completely toilet, like a Kevin Francis or John Gayle.

Kevin Francis!
I remember in about 2001 when his career was rapidly going down the shitter he ended up at Hednesford Town. We (Tamworth) were playing them in a midweek league match just after he had signed, so we set about verbally abusing him for the match, as you do. He missed at least three absolute sitters and by midway through the second half was getting such dog's abuse and hysterical laughter from the away end that he turned and did the whole "Don't see any of you fucking lot getting paid to play football" speech, unfortunately, as he did this he tripped over a divot and smacked his head off the post.
Marvellous.

Offline Merv

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »
What is it about Heskey? Good feet for a big man, holds the ball up well, and other cliches...

Seriously, I find it hard to dislike Emile. I'm not a big fan, but one thing you can't really level at him is that he's been a waste of money: he's been picked regularly by all three Villa managers he's played for, and generally he puts a shift in. I thought he was good last season, up until the point he got sent off v Sunderland, then Bent came in and he was on the periphery. GH used him slightly differently - rather than doing a lot of the donkey work, he was pushed further forward and actually tasked with getting in the box a lot more. And it worked quite well. Don't forget, until Christmas he was our top scorer, or just about.

Having said that, I don't think you could get a more unsuitable role for Heskey now then playing in that 'No. 10' position behind a striker. It's a very strange decision by AM. Particularly when we have two or three players absolutely tailor-made for that role.

Judging by our recent wage bill quandary, 65K a week for a player of very limited ability is something you could definitely make a case for being a waste of money.

Really? Given that every footballer is paid pretty handsomely at PL level, so it's not as if he's £60k ahead of everyone else, I don't see why he should be particularly panned for being a waste of money when he's been picked regularly since the day he signed, for a fairly small transfer fee. Compare his contribution with several other first team squad members and he's been reasonable value.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2011, 05:53:59 PM »
Having pondered for a while I've decided this. He's good but is paid too much for what it is that he brings to the team. I think the ideal for Emile is to have very very tactically astute manager. He could start for the games when the opposition have got a weakened team with inexpierience at the back, Emile with his shielding, hold up play and bullish nature would give any 20 year old centre half the run around. You'd apply this to being the target man against a keeper with a known reputation for being a bit of a flapper too.

He'd be no good as the outlet when we're under pressure at the back and with the opposition pressing hard, that's the time to get someone quick and speedy on or starting in his place. This obviously varies from fixture to fixture. If he's used correctly it'll pay off, conversely, He's no spring chicken, you're not going to build the team around him.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
Something about Emile ..hmmm that  could be  a book written and may a film!

Offline Rimmy Jimmer

« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
Well it just shows how shit we have become when the fans start saying Heskey is good. He's fucking shit and the sooner he is shifted out the better.
I have watched him, dawdling around the pitch match after match, no great effort, fairy jumps in the air, tumbling round the floor and his finishing is truly shocking! Piss off and dont com back!

Offline TonyD

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:34 PM »
Well it just shows how shit we have become when the fans start saying Heskey is good. He's fucking shit and the sooner he is shifted out the better.
I have watched him, dawdling around the pitch match after match, no great effort, fairy jumps in the air, tumbling round the floor and his finishing is truly shocking! Piss off and dont com back!

I think we can now end this thread - this post is spot on!

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »
I want to see Bannan given more involvement but as I've said elsewhere I'm concerned about an Albrighton like dip in form and confidence if too much is asked of him at this stage.

See your point Chris but completely disagree. Now is the time to play Bannan whilst his confidence is sky high. Leave him out for a few games and yes, he's likely to lose that edge but now is the time we should be showing a little bit of faith in him. He's earned it and deserves it.

Ferguson plays the kids at the start of the season, as their fitness is generally better than everyone elses - then towards the Christmas break brings in the more experienced players for them.

Suppose they can get away with it though.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2011, 10:44:06 PM »
I hope Eck was watching that Bannan performance. May have been Lithuania but no matter who you're against, that passing was super-accurate. Got to play him ahead of Heskey.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2011, 11:22:22 PM »
I hope Eck was watching that Bannan performance. May have been Lithuania but no matter who you're against, that passing was super-accurate. Got to play him ahead of Heskey.

wont make any difference mate, Heskey will start Bannan on the bench, we might as well get used to it,

i agree with you about Bannan, he's the most exciting thing around at VP at the moment and would be straight into my starting line up,
then again i would have played him from the start of the season, he's definitely good enough.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »

wont make any difference mate, Heskey will start Bannan on the bench, we might as well get used to it,

i agree with you about Bannan, he's the most exciting thing around at VP at the moment and would be straight into my starting line up,
then again i would have played him from the start of the season, he's definitely good enough.

I hope Eck takes note.   Bannan is more than ready to start for us, has been for a while now.   Just the sort of player to give the place a lift which is very much needed.   Probably the most exciting young prospect we have had for a long time. 

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »
A word of cation. All the things being said about Bannan were being said about Albrighton this time last year. Now look at him.

I like him a lot but we are guilty at times of putting too much expectation on them.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
In general, I think I'd have a preference for Bannan over Heskey too.  Even before his performance against Lithuania.

But Everton away -with their reliance on the physical side of the game and packing the area with niggly cants like Cahill- might be one of the few exceptions where I'd go for Ivanhoe.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2011, 04:00:54 PM »
In general, I think I'd have a preference for Bannan over Heskey too.  Even before his performance against Lithuania.

But Everton away -with their reliance on the physical side of the game and packing the area with niggly cants like Cahill- might be one of the few exceptions where I'd go for Ivanhoe.

If Bent is out of the side then we may be spared the choice and could go for both.

Offline KRS

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »
A word of cation. All the things being said about Bannan were being said about Albrighton this time last year. Now look at him.

I like him a lot but we are guilty at times of putting too much expectation on them.
Theres a few big differences between Bannan and Albrighton...not only does BB have more skill and natural ability than MA, but he has already been exposed to international football and given more first team experience with other clubs. After an impressive start last season, Albrighton doesnt seem to have the skill or confidence to improve his limited game unfortunately.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2011, 06:33:45 PM »
Its a bit early to completely write off Albrighton. Yes,teams have sussed him out a bit,but his shown that his delivery can be up there with the best. It's only natural that young players will have dips in form,its how they respond which will show if they can go on to great things.

Look at Bale at Spurs,he was terrible for months until he hit form last year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal