collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by ozzjim
[Today at 05:58:10 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:53:56 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bent and Given Injuries  (Read 16551 times)

Offline KRS

Bent and Given Injuries
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
Looks like 2 of our most influential players, Bent (groin) and Given (back), are already carrying knocks just a few games into the season. Bent has been sent home and Given may miss the next international match.

Hope they are fit for next weekend but not a good sign if they are already carrying unjuries going into games.

Offline MarkM

Re: Bent and Given Injuries
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
Let's just hope it's a bit of 'Ryanitus'

(as in the mysterious short term injury that would affect Ryan Giggs prior to a Wales match)

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:53:52 PM »
The Bent one is a bit concerning now. As he's now going to miss the Wales game says there is something wrong. It seems his only way into the Euro 12 team is to impress for England, especially if the Wolves game is anything to go by, so can't see any reason apart from a serious injury for him to pull out.

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
The Given injury is equally serious.... damaged groin in the Fulham game and has not been right since.  Unable to kick ball with his right foot and poor with the left.

Imaging having to resort to Brad Guzan and our next reserve keeper as we enter a more challenging phase of the league programme !!

Online spangley1812

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
He was sent home by the England medical team so it must be serious, he didnt pull out of the squad

Offline Villanation

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:05:29 PM »
Lets hope Given get fit for Everton, that said, when we signed him it was always going to be the catalyst where this player was concerned, always going to be a risk, so I assume the club have made the necessary back plans to cover for this very occasion......I would hope.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:07:49 PM by Villanation »

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
The Given injury is equally serious.... damaged groin in the Fulham game and has not been right since.  Unable to kick ball with his right foot and poor with the left.

Imaging having to resort to Brad Guzan and our next reserve keeper as we enter a more challenging phase of the league programme !!

True, but who on Earth is going to go up front? If the plan is transform Heskey and Gabby into midfielders, then chopping and changing the positions is going to cause problems. Yes Jenas can drop in and allow one of them to go upfront, but Hesley's not going to score regularly, but Gabby up front to rely on for goals? Or Nathan D? Is he up to it, yet?

So that's unpredictable upfront, unpredictable in goal, and a hodge podge midfield. I suppose the defence is sorted though!!

Offline Villanation

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »

True, but who on Earth is going to go up front? If the plan is transform Heskey and Gabby into midfielders, then chopping and changing the positions is going to cause problems. Yes Jenas can drop in and allow one of them to go upfront, but Hesley's not going to score regularly, but Gabby up front to rely on for goals? Or Nathan D? Is he up to it, yet?

So that's unpredictable upfront, unpredictable in goal, and a hodge podge midfield. I suppose the defence is sorted though!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Bent been pulled from the England squad, if so he'll be fine I would imagine, if not I would have no hesitation in playing Gabby up front on his own, done that job for seasons under Mon and did a great job, as you say Jenas can drop into midfield, in actual fact as a lone striker Gabby is probably better suited to that role than Bent who definitely needs someone to play of to get anything from him, whereas Gabby has much superior pace so playing away from home if we have to go for some opportunistic counter attacking, who better than Gabby and combined with Jenas, N'Zogbia, Banan, Albrighton, pace in abudance.

Win win situation,  :) although I have this one chalked up as a tight loss.... :(

Offline KRS

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »

Givens previous injury problem was his shoulder but now its his back apparently. Did he injure his groin against Fulham too? Both groin and back injuries would explain why Collins has been taking goal kicks.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
GA is a perfect replacement upfront in a 4-2-3-1. keep the faith.

Offline Marlon's Hairy Wood

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »
The concelation with the GK situation is that our defence seems to be so strong that we haven't had to worry too much about Givens injury, only from goalkicks.

I only recall him making one save at Villa Park so far

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
It's too early to panic just yet although Given has struggled in the first two games. Let's hope he just needs a rest

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
I'm not too worried about Bent's injury. We can just move Lionel Heskey up to the strikers position

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »
If Bent is out his place upfront can be taken by one of our other joint leading scorers this season Gabby or Emile!
Shay out no problem Brad is ready.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Gabby is a more than capable top half of the Premier League striker. We've just blessed with a better one. We'll do fine with Gabs for an extended period, just better with Bent.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal