collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:17:47 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:16:32 AM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:16:20 AM]

Robin Olsen by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:14:52 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:14:04 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by colin69
[Today at 12:11:42 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[April 27, 2024, 11:48:51 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:32:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hutton & Jenas set to sign.  (Read 70136 times)

Offline Villanation

Re: Hutton & Jenas set to sign.
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »

Clearly he has a fixation with the left side of any goal, but any goal is a good one....

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31:21 PM »

welcome. i guess

Offline pr_N'villa

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31:30 PM »
Double post
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:33:35 PM by pr_N'villa »

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31:51 PM »
With a bit of imagination and some decent scouting we could have had Davide Santon and Yoann Cabaye.

Be interesting to see which pair has a better season.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 11:34:17 PM »
With a bit of imagination and some decent scouting we could have had Davide Santon and Yoann Cabaye.

Definitely. But I'm going to err on the side of caution and go with the proven PL players right now.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:03 PM »

This is the problem unless the club develops an informed database of available talent and who we should be looking at, who we should be spending money on, then the likes of Jenas and Hutton it is.

Online KRS

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 11:35:37 PM »
Both signings are relatively uninspiring, but both add a liitle depth to the squad.

Never really been impressed by Hutton, but as with Jenas, they both rarely get first team football and both have a point to prove.

If I remember correctly, Jenas actually showed some decent form for Spurs when he was given the opportunity last season, so hoping he can do well for us. If Delph can become the midfield tough guy and stop getting himself booked, then a can see a pairing with Jenas working quite well...alternatively he can play left side midfield and do a proper job instead of playing Heskey out of position.

We've got 4 very winnable games coming up so a good chance for them to settle in. Good luck and welcome to VP.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »
Diego went on loan in the end  ;-(

Offline Macho Man Randy Savage

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »

Definitely. But I'm going to err on the side of caution and go with the proven PL players right now.

What is really meant by proven in this context?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 11:38:02 PM »

I'd rather go on the side of sense and go with the far better players.

Offline Daholteend

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »
FWIW I always thought that Hutton was a useful FB going forward and with Dunne and Collins getting back to their form two seasons ago it probably will turn out better and in reality Hutton is a better defender than Kyle Walker especially bearing in mind that we have Given in goal this season.

The Jenas/Makoun scenario is interesting. Both players are loaners and I would expect that if Jenas picks up an injury which would keep him out for a while there is language in the loan agreement to ship him back to the lads in the lane.

Sending Makoun to Greece and the Champion's League gives both Villa and Olympiakos time to assess his value. While no one can doubt Makoun's one touch attacking style in the few games we have seen him, there are questions about his  abilities as a defender and style of tackling.

It will be interesting to see whether a change of scenery and playing styles will suit Jenas. IIIRC Darren Bent was underwhelming at WHL. On the bright side for Jenas is the fact that a goodly number of fans aren't expecting anything from him  which means that even if he performs moderately he will have exceeded expectations.

I think I would have touch my cap to AM slightly on this one. Moving Young to QPR for an undisclosed fee gets Young off the payroll along with probably a modest fee all of which is set off against the 3M plus for Hutton and I am going to guess that Huttons wages will be less than Young's.

What I am starting to feel is that AM is probably a more astute businessman than MON. It must be that canny Scots DNA that manifests itself from time to time but I have a good feeling about this one.

The only thing that worries me is that my brother who weirdly enough is a spuds fan has had this smirking grin all over his face ever since he heard about this potential deal. What worries me most is his comment that Spuds Fans are singing Big Eck songs of praise down WHL.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:34 PM »
Both signings are relatively uninspiring, but both add a liitle depth to the squad.

Taking the squad from 7 days ago, they bring us up to only 2 down on that.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:55 PM »

Like I say, I'll reserve judgement on Cabaye and Santon until they've proven they're up to PL standards. You may not be over the moon about Jenas and Hutton but they're established Premier League players and you know what you're getting from them. If Newcastle have signed two legends in the making, fine. But they might not have, is all I'm saying, because none of us know.

Offline boboonthecorner

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »
The sort of signings I expected from this board after they employed this manager.......... 12 out 4 in 2 of which on loan = Tidy profit for Lerner.

How many of those 12 would get a sniff of the first team?
Downing, Young and Friedel were three of our best players last season. We've replaced like for like on two of them for a fraction of the cost and cut a huge amount off the wage bill.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2011, 11:50:21 PM »

Like I say, I'll reserve judgement on Cabaye and Santon until they've proven they're up to PL standards. You may not be over the moon about Jenas and Hutton but they're established Premier League players and you know what you're getting from them. If Newcastle have signed two legends in the making, fine. But they might not have, is all I'm saying, because none of us know.
The fact that both Cabaye and Santon have shown since the start of their careers that they are both extremely good is a plus point though.

Jenas has repeatedly shown that he is nothing more than very average and Hutton - well, I'm happy enough with him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal