collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Gareth
[Today at 09:31:25 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Champions League Contention by rob_bridge
[Today at 09:13:41 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by Astnor
[Today at 09:04:02 AM]

Diego Carlos by rougegorge
[Today at 08:59:15 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Drummond
[Today at 08:55:54 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan  (Read 36038 times)

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Barry Bannan
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »
Man U also send way more players out on loan so they are arguably more prepared for first team football when they arrive back at the club.

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 09:19:26 AM »
He's been out on loan though.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 09:26:30 AM »
Perhaps Bannan is too good a footballer to play for McLeish?  I mean, an actual REAL footballer.  Ditto Clark, Makoun etc....

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:27 AM »
Perhaps Bannan is too good a footballer to play for McLeish?  I mean, an actual REAL footballer.  Ditto Clark, Makoun etc....

Nah.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »

Nah.

No, you are right, Heskey is a much better option.   ::)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »
Do you really think he wouldn't play somebody because they were too good? 

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2011, 10:35:57 AM »
I've been a big Bannan fan for a while now and think he should be starting.  My fear is not that Heskey will keep him out, but that Jenas might.  The defence is looking solid, Bent will score goals and I think Gabby and N'Zog will settle into the mide positions, so it's just the balance/blend in central midfield that AM needs to work on.  And right now Bannan deserves his place in that.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:46 AM »
--- Quote from: hawkeye on September 06, 2011, 10:36:19 PM ---how do you think siralex would deal with Bannan

--- End quote ---

Play him more.

To be fair Man Ure often take several seasons to bring players through to be regular starters. How long was Fletcher on the edges of the team before making the cm position his own at OT?

You can't compare ths situations.  Man U youngsters usually have a world class player to oust before they cement their place in the team.  Bannan was excellent last night, truly excellent.  If there isn't space for a player of his ability in our team then it's a sad day.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2011, 10:39:18 AM »
Its early days, I know Mcleish is a big admirer of Bannan so its only a matter of time, we've only played a few games

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2011, 10:47:17 AM »
Its early days, I know Mcleish is a big admirer of Bannan so its only a matter of time, we've only played a few games

Spot on mate.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:06 AM »

Very true.  Like him or not, Heskey gives you a certain sense of security in terms of general team play and extra cover on defending set pieces, whereas wee Barry is still a bit of an unknown.  My hope is that he's trying to keep us solid to start with and will then try and and add that bit extra, which Bannan will provide.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2011, 10:53:56 AM »
Looks like the wee man was MOTM for Scotland today.

Ye fuckin ken McLeish??

Bannan looked good playing for Scotland against Lithuania.

That's good news, but its at a standard far below the Premier League

Offline Ryu

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »
--- Quote from: Ryu on Today at 07:32:33 AM ------ Quote from: hawkeye on September 06, 2011, 10:36:19 PM ---how do you think siralex would deal with Bannan

--- End quote ---

Play him more.

To be fair Man Ure often take several seasons to bring players through to be regular starters. How long was Fletcher on the edges of the team before making the cm position his own at OT?

--- End quote ---

You can't compare ths situations.  Man U youngsters usually have a world class player to oust before they cement their place in the team.  Bannan was excellent last night, truly excellent.  If there isn't space for a player of his ability in our team then it's a sad day.

I wasn't the one who started the man ure comparison. For what it's worth I have a feeling Barry will be in the starting line up before to long. We're only 3 games in to the PL season and if I'm not mistaken AM has used him every game hasn't he?  I think Heskey has been in the team, apart from reasons already discussed, because AM wanted as many experienced 'steady eddie' types as he could get in the team to make us as solid as possible early on. And with the circumstances surrounding his appointment I don't really blame him for being a bit cautious so far.  If Ivanhoe is keeping Barry out the team in a months time then I think AM could be justly criticised.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »
We need to play him, he would add the craft we need.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »

Very true.  Like him or not, Heskey gives you a certain sense of security in terms of general team play and extra cover on defending set pieces, whereas wee Barry is still a bit of an unknown.  My hope is that he's trying to keep us solid to start with and will then try and and add that bit extra, which Bannan will provide.

That's very much as how I see it too.  The solid start is all important, once we have points on the board we should begin to be more expansive with the likes of Bannan having a major role.  Having said that, I feel that Bannan would be far more suited to playing against the likes of Everton than Wolves or Blackburn so I'd start him on Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal