collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where will we finish?  (Read 54696 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Where will we finish?
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 12:04:29 AM »
Ifs and buts work both ways. I just don't see how the squads at Fulham, Bolton or Albion are better or deeper than us.

Of course they work both ways, I mentioned on another thread that if Ireland, Makoun and Delph do come good, we could have some great stuff to watch.

The other clubs though don't have so many ifs and buts as we do. They may not be as strong on paper as us, but they are probably a lot more settled and performances will be more predictable than we are right now.

I think in pre-season almost all teams have many ifs and buts. Not just us. Even Liverpool got hammered by Hull and Galatasary. They've got lots of ifs and buts given their level of investment.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 12:11:15 AM »
I voted 12th. As it stands we're very vulnerable to injuries, the inconsistency of youth and the barking mad Ireland. Given our net spend so far this summer I would sort of settle for that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
Well as far as I know a consensus is a generally accepted opinion. So it could be argued 7th-8th (12 votes) is above those clubs I mentioned as they have the most individual votes. But 9th-16th (17 votes) puts us firmly in with them according to the majority of voters.

Aren't polls fun!

Not when they don't say what you want them to, no matter how hard you try. 1st-8th seems to be in the lead now. And the most popu

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »
Well as far as I know a consensus is a generally accepted opinion. So it could be argued 7th-8th (12 votes) is above those clubs I mentioned as they have the most individual votes. But 9th-16th (17 votes) puts us firmly in with them according to the majority of voters.

Aren't polls fun!

Not when they don't say what you want them to, no matter how hard you try. 1st-8th seems to be in the lead now. And the most popu

No they aren't, unless less votes wins. And they do say what i've said they say. You just choose to look at them differently, rather than the consensus of opinion. Or does consensus mean something different?

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 12:26:31 AM »
I voted 12th. As it stands we're very vulnerable to injuries, the inconsistency of youth and the barking mad Ireland. Given our net spend so far this summer I would sort of settle for that.

As did I, i've been off for a few weeks and it looks like I haven't missed much.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »
Yes, concensus means general agreement. But there is quite clearly not a concensus in this poll - the two most popular votes are seventh and eighth. How can you have a general agreement which ignores the most popular opinions?

You used a spread of eight places in your 'concensus'. An even bigger majority see us in a spread of seven places 5th-11th. So we're competing with Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal  and Manchester City
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:34:13 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Yes, concensus means general agreement. But there is quite clearly not a concensus in this poll - the two most popular votes are seventh and eighth. How can you have a general agreement which ignores the most popular opinions?

You used a spread of eight places in your 'concensus'. An even bigger majority see us in a spread of seven places 5th-11th. So we're competing with Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal  and Manchester City

As mentioned Dave, polls can be taken in many different ways.
I said the consensus was that we were in with the clubs I mentioned, most people have voted we will finish 9th-16th, which where I would imagine most of us would say the other clubs mentioned will finish. I never mentioned most popular single vote etc. But top 8 (where most of us would hope would be our minimum aim each season and the kind of position we have spent the majority of my time as a fan finishing) and lower than 8th seemed a logical split when I made my original post.

I'd also imagine that if the fan sites of the clubs I mentioned ran a similar thread, their votes would be a pretty similar breakdown. 7th or 8th if being optimistic and the club has a following wind, with 9th-16th being the popular vote.
Arsenal, Spurs, City, Liverpool sites would probably have 8th as the lowest, (Spurs and maybe pessimistic dippers), the rest will be various top 6 places.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2011, 12:54:29 AM »

I'd have thought the most informative info is where the votes are bunched.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »
polls can be taken in many different ways.

Right now only 49 fans think we'll finish the season. That's worrying.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »
I went for 11th in a moment of optimism.

I fear we will have another season like the last one.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 04:17:59 AM »
Given our generous first few games hopefully we'll get a few points on the board quickly and gain confidence required for the bigger tests as the nights draw in earlier.

McLeish will have the defence whipped into shape regardless of personnel. We should be fine upfront with Gabby back to full fitness, the Fonz knowing it's now or never and Bent obviously will keep banging them in as long as his head doesn't get turned again. Even Heskey might be useful now and then.

Midfield is the real unknown variable given that Delph, Ireland, Jean II and Bananaman have a lot to prove but I'm going to back them to come good and we'll finish 7th.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2011, 05:35:39 AM »
I went for 11th in a moment of optimism.

I fear we will have another season like the last one.

Yep.

Offline eastie

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2011, 06:35:21 AM »
battling with everton for 7th and 8th places.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2011, 06:38:32 AM »
4th. Can't see why not.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »
polls can be taken in many different ways.

Right now only 49 fans think we'll finish the season. That's worrying.

At least we stand a good chance of finishing the season - unlike you know who!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal