collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 05:52:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Martyn Smith
[Today at 05:52:37 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 05:50:51 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by DB
[Today at 05:50:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 05:49:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:49:15 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 05:48:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:48:31 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner "State of Aston Villa" Statement  (Read 130742 times)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Randy Lerner "State of Aston Villa" Statement
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
I wonder if he has found some outside investment.

The rest of the General's post doesn't sound like he has.

What has he said then?

General Krulak here:

1. Last comment first. I told everyone that I would be on the site once a week. Having flunked retirement for the 3rd time, I do have a full time job running a university (www.bsc.edu) and my ability to come on the site daily just isn't in the cards. I do the best I can. It is up to the fans as to whether the site is worth while....if the Fans say, "Np", then so be it.

2. Villarocker and others: Comment by AM....I am not sure how many Managers of any Clubs would go to the media before the first Premiership game is played and claim that their Club (one that ended in 9th place last year) is going to make massive strides. Most managers would do exactly what AM has done....he made a statement that keeps expectations at a level that does not "set the club up." NOW, I have been taking huge amounts of "stick" for my prediction....so let me make a simple (but true) confession. I was typing so fast that I hit the 4 key vice the 5 key. That is the truth. I would hope that most fans would realize that I DO recognize that ManU, Chelsea, ManCity and Arsenal DO play in our league! I do not feel we are yet at the stage where we can logically expect to knock one of them off. I do stick by my comment that I believe we are going to surprise folks this year and that we will end up anywhere from 5th to 9th. As I indicated, I say this as a fan and I just have a sense that we are going to do better than many believe. I also know that I am now open to massive criticism if we don't get there....and you can have at me if we don't. BUT, let's at least wait and see. Who would have guessed we would have beat Arsenal at their "home" and Liverpool at Villa Park as the last two games of last year. Think back to those two weekends....who really thought we were going to win both of those games? My point is pretty basic....football is a funny game and things can happen that are good.

3. smetov: "Time at Villa drawing to an end." Not sure what you mean. I have just told you all why I have not been a regular, daily, member of this site. That does NOT mean my days at Villa are drawing to an end. I have not lost my passion...even after the events of last year. As for Randy, I see NO diminishing of his passion for the Club.

4. mykeyb: Not sure why I am a liar. We purchased two fine players. Randy will be putting out a "state of Villa" statement. We did get a Manager (you and others may not like him but we think he will do a fine job.) etc. etc. The fact that the "action" that has taken place at this time is not what you or others may have wanted does not lessen the fact that action has taken place. I don't know how many times I have to discuss the "business of football." It is a balancing act of expenses vs. revenue....of new players and youth, vs experienced players already on the team...of trying to find the right players to "fit" into the Squad (the way we want to play the game) vs. players who are available...etc. etc. I recognize the fact that the "right" solution for most Fans would be to go out and "splash" money around, forget about the business aspects and just shoot the moon. It just doesn't work that way...unless you happen to own half the oil reserves in the world or something like that. Randy has splashed a good deal of money...and has done so since his arrival. Again, I recognize that most Fans want more...I am not naive.

5. Chelsea match: I think that both sides were "experimenting"...that it was, indeed, a friendly. I thought we were not as tough in the center of the Pitch that we needed to be...but, again, I think AM was checking out his players. I was neither overjoyed with the win in the tournament nor devastated by the loss. I would imagine that the Manager got out of both games what he wanted to get out of them.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »
I wonder if he has found some outside investment.
there have been a few rumours about this floating around. The one I heard was he'd sold 17% to someone in the far east. Think I read it on VT. Probably BS though.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
Interesting.

Anyone know when the next set of accounts are due?

Not for ages.  The company which owns the club has a May year end so doesn't have to file accounts until the following February, something the club take advantage of every year.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
Thanks Adam (re accounts).

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
Randy does an annual statement to the press. I've no reason to doubt this one will be any different to the rest.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Due shortly, said the General.

Shortly? Is that in an hour or sometime soon  in  August?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 07:01:43 PM »
Interesting.

Not for ages.  The company which owns the club has a May year end so doesn't have to file accounts until the following February, something the club take advantage of every year.

Take advantage of it in which sense?

Filing accounts at the last minute?

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »
Interesting.

Yep.

Our accounts have hardly been a textbook example of prudent financial management over the past few years so the later the club can leave it before announcing to the world how much debt we're in and how high our wages to turnover ratio has reached this year the better is generally the view.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 07:21:12 PM »
Probably gonna be a whole lot of nothin. Hope he's telling us mcleish was a smoke screen for Hughes ;-)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »
Interesting.

Yep.

Our accounts have hardly been a textbook example of prudent financial management over the past few years so the later the club can leave it before announcing to the world how much debt we're in and how high our wages to turnover ratio has reached this year the better is generally the view.

I'm not for one second defending the running of the club, which is shambolic by most companies' standards, but I don't know many companies who don't file their accounts on the deadline day, successful or not.

Online JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
Any idea when we'll get this statement?

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
Any idea when we'll get this statement?

4th August 3012

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
I'm not for one second defending the running of the club, which is shambolic by most companies' standards, but I don't know many companies who don't file their accounts on the deadline day, successful or not.

I've acted for dozens of businesses over the years and have found a very clear correlation between their relative performance in any particular year and their eagerness to get those results out in to the public domain.

It stands to reason.  Customers, suppliers, financiers, etc are going to look at your last set of accounts as a first port of call when deciding whether you're a business they want to work with.  If your current results are worse than your last set then you want them to be the latest set of results for the shortest time possible which means delaying their publication.  If your current results are better though then you'll get them out there ASAP so that they tell the world what a great business you are.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 07:45:55 PM by Ad@m »

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
Statement from Mr. R. Lerner owner of Aston Villa Football Club..........
Don't worry about a thing
cause every little thing is gonna be alright
don't worry about a thing
every little thing is gonna be alright

Rise up this morning
smiled with the rising sun
three little birds
pitch by my door step
singing sweet songs
of melodies pure and true
saying, this is my message to you:

don't worry about a thing...

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 07:42:07 PM »
I've just watched the General's speech on being announced President of Birmingham Southern College. He speaks just how I imagined he would, with a lot of warmth and sincerity. He means it, like only very successful men can.

But Proud History, Bright Future also gets a mention. I feel a bit cheap.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal