collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randy Lerner "State of Aston Villa" Statement  (Read 130737 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Randy Lerner "State of Aston Villa" Statement
« Reply #480 on: August 15, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »
So, are you saying that because there is some initial leeway we should ignore it? On a more general point isn't living within your means desirable regardless of regulations?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #481 on: August 15, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
Where was the popular sentiment for living within our means when we were spending big?

Or under Doug, for that matter.

I understand if that's the way it has to be, but I can't believe anyone would choose that course.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #482 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
So, are you saying that because there is some initial leeway we should ignore it? On a more general point isn't living within your means desirable regardless of regulations?

If Lerner had managed to increase our income by anything other than the Sky money which lands in our lap regardless, then maybe.  But whatever, this current period is nothing to with the FFP rules, nothing whatsoever.  In any case, the chances of Alex McLeish qualifying regularly for Europe via league placings was doubtful enough.  Alex McLeish qualifying for Europe after selling his best players then NOT being backed is unlikley in the extreme.   

When Lerner arrived he was supposed to be a brilliant businessman who was going to cure us of the cornershop mentality.  It's clear now that he's absolutely nothing of the sort.  If he sticks around, we might as well get used to underwhelming mediocrity.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 01:00:02 PM by N'isso »

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #483 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:26 PM »

If Lerner had managed to increase our income by anything other than the Sky money which lands in our lap regardless, then maybe.  But whatever, this current period is nothing to with the FFP rules, nothing whatsoever.  In any case, the chances of Alex McLeish qualifying regularly for Europe via league placings was doubtful enough.  Alex McLeish qualifying for Europe after selling his best players then NOT being backed is unlikley in the extreme.   

When Lerner arrived he was supposed to be a brilliant businessman who was going to cure us of the cornershop mentality.  It's clear now that he's absolutely nothing of the sort.  If he sticks around, we might as well get used to underwhelming mediocrity.

We've also doubled the take on ticket prices, we each spend an average of about £300 more per season than we did before Randy took over.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #484 on: August 15, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »
I ea told on here yesterday that the increase in revenue was about as good as could be expected. Now o am told that it was rubbish. Can one of you provide the figures so that I can see for myself.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »
The scary thing is that despite the best part of £150 million invested we are really no further forward now in terms of success on the pitch, profile, sponsorship deals, new facilities etc...

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
Whatever the increase in revenue, I'm pretty convinced it wasn't as much as Randy expected when buying the club in 2006.  I think our spending was in line with what he expected and now that's not materialised, he's bringing the spending into line with what we've actually got coming in.  I think the idea was always to ease us towards self sufficiencey, but that 'ease' has become more severe due to not hitting their own targets.

Whether you blame them for getting the forcats wrong in the first place or praise them for exercising more prudence now is up to you.   

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #487 on: August 15, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
The scary thing is that despite the best part of £150 million invested we are really no further forward now in terms of success on the pitch, profile, sponsorship deals, new facilities etc...

I'd argue that the facilities are better, particularly Bodymoor Heath.  As for the rest, it's hard to get ahead when those around you are also spending that level of money.

Offline Risso

« Reply #488 on: August 15, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
The last two sets of accounts have shown that the increase in income from matchday receipts and commercial income of about £4m a year in total have been almost exactly offset by the interest charge on the loans from Lerner.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #489 on: August 15, 2011, 03:02:42 PM »

You keep saying that about sponsorship deals, but we have one of the largest deals in the league with one of the biggest companies to sponsor a PL side. Lots of people seem upset that we are not sponsored by Apple or HTC or someone they've heard of, but who gives a shit if they pay the money?

As for new facilities - what about the state of the art training centre?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things to moan about at the moment, but I find it hard to take people seriously when they just throw together a list which seems to consist of "everything".

Offline Simba

« Reply #490 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
The last two sets of accounts have shown that the increase in income from matchday receipts and commercial income of about £4m a year in total have been almost exactly offset by the interest charge on the loans from Lerner.

We would have paid interest in any event. And probably more depending on terms.

Offline Risso

« Reply #491 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »

We would have paid interest in any event. And probably more depending on terms.

Perhaps, but my point was that for two years at least, any increase in income that wasn't as a result of TV income was swallowed up by interest charges.  To improve commercial income by a mere £4m over 5 years is piss poor, especially considering the "management charge" paid.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #492 on: August 15, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
The Acorns sponsorship deal will have skewed the commercial income but I don't think anyone would argue that was anything but a good thing.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #493 on: August 15, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
The Acorns sponsorship deal will have skewed the commercial income but I don't think anyone would argue that was anything but a good thing.

A very good point.

Maybe the best comparison is our commercial revenue at the end of 05/06 to what it is/will be for this season?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal