collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:26:04 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 10:24:39 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by VillaTim
[Today at 10:24:20 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by Risso
[Today at 10:21:25 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by Richard
[Today at 10:19:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:17:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 10:15:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:14:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mirror: How Alex McLeish is winning over the haters at Aston Villa  (Read 35531 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Mirror: How Alex McLeish is winning over the haters at Aston Villa
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2011, 04:59:55 PM »
If nothing else this is the first time for some time we have a manager who actually wants to be here.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2011, 05:03:16 PM »
If nothing else this is the first time for some time we have a manager who actually wants to be here.

I think i'd want to be somewhere that is willing to double my salary , although Mcleish does seem to understand the privilege of managing our club.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
He's come over as very humble indeed in every press conference and interview he's done. I agree, he seems to be very comfortable in the job already and there's a steely determination about him, and it's filtering it's way through to the players. I said somewhere else that the Luke Young interview was for me, very telling about the new order. He's always been quite blunt, and you could see that the players have reacted well to McLeish. It's as if McLeish isn't doing us a favour by being here. It's quite the opposite and he feels very priviledged to be our manager.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »

I think i'd want to be somewhere that is willing to double my salary , although Mcleish does seem to understand the privilege of managing our club.

That's exactly it. The last three were doing us a favour and Sir Graham II was a different entity to his first incarnation, but McLeish 'gets' the club. Maybe it's a Scottish thing.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »

That's exactly it. The last three were doing us a favour and Sir Graham II was a different entity to his first incarnation, but McLeish 'gets' the club. Maybe it's a Scottish thing.

Good point, the club has historically had a strong Scottish influence, especially when doing well.  Hopefully thats an omen.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
I've got a funny feeling about the McLeish appointment, I actually think it's going to work.

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
Me too. I don't know why though, it just feels right somehow.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »
Me too. I don't know why though, it just feels right somehow.

I think he's the man to improve the togetherness, professionalism & defence.

All the things that were poor last season.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »

Good point, the club has historically had a strong Scottish influence, especially when doing well.  Hopefully thats an omen.

Hopefully more McGregor than McNeil.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 05:36:54 PM »

Hopefully more McGregor than McNeil.

Damn you, I was clinging to something there.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »

Although the way he walked left a bitter taste in the mouth for many, i think MON appreciated where he was. I think he 'got it' to an extent. It felt right for a time, it's just a shame he ruined it.

Mccleish does seem to have a 'i can't believe my luck' aura about him, i think he would have even come here on the same money he was on at Blues.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
This is the job by which McLeish will be judged. everywhere else has been either "only Scotland" or that fucking circus. He's got no excuses here, and equally no "but it's only." He does well, he'll be regarded as a good manager. He does badly it'll be the Championship next stop. 

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2011, 06:23:44 PM »
This is the job by which McLeish will be judged. everywhere else has been either "only Scotland" or that fucking circus. He's got no excuses here, and equally no "but it's only." He does well, he'll be regarded as a good manager. He does badly it'll be the Championship next stop. 
or Scotland.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »

Wasn't it hookysmith on another thread who said he'd been shown around the place on one of his first visits to VP as B-lose manager and was bowled over? Though you would be, I suppose if you're comparing VP to that weird collection of sheds at the back of a railway track in Bordesley.

I don't doubt his hunger to prove a few doubters wrong. I don't doubt that he's grateful to get a job as big as this so soon after taking the B-lose down. But I do have doubts about his aptitude for the job -though as others have pointed out, his track record taken as a whole isn't completely without merit.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »

Hopefully you mean his next job after us and not where the club will end up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal