collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ExclDawg
[Today at 12:01:49 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Somniloquism
[April 27, 2024, 11:58:13 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[April 27, 2024, 11:55:44 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:52:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[April 27, 2024, 11:48:51 PM]

Robin Olsen by Aldridge Villa
[April 27, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

Champions League Contention by curiousorange
[April 27, 2024, 11:38:28 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[April 27, 2024, 11:32:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hot from the Press  (Read 9883 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Hot from the Press
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 04:37:02 PM »
Other similarly sized clubs seem to be more successful in hanging on to their better players, and also replace them more easily when they do sell.

do they? When Newcastle or Everton or Sunderland got big offers for their big players, they all sold too. It just that they didn't get hit in 3 consecutive years as we did because they didn't have that depth of quality. It's also no surprise that players that got targeted with us and those clubs were all English. maybe the secret it to have as few top English players as possible.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
That article pretty sums up how I see things with regards to the 'food chain', Carlos Cueller and Downing.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 05:32:30 PM »
You wouldn't know from reading that, that Carlos Cuellar was played by both Martin O'Neill and Kev MacDonald on almost every occasion he was available and was a lynch pin in one of the most effective defences we have had in my 30 odd years of watching Villa. As far as I know, he has been injured since McLeish arrived having delayed having his knee operation until the season was over.

He started 98 games in only 3 seasons and our record with him in the team last season in league and cup games was W9 D3 L4

It is astonishing that anyone would insinuate that the fact he didn't kick up a public fuss about being left out of the team last season is indicative of a player happy to pick up a large wage for doing nothing. Almost as ridiculous as equating our transfer spending to Man City's on the basis of the Tevez situation.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
I think Risso is, as usual, on about Spurs. Spurs who attract players of the calibre of Van der Vaart purely due to the London factor. I'd say we wheel and deal a lot better than Newcastle and we have a lot more ambition (read that as "cash") than Everton.

The article is pretty near spot-on as usual but I think it will take a lot longer than a week to find out where we stand. It's unrealistic to think we can just sign our top target in each position and get them ITSOTP in a matter of days.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us haggling well into the back end of August. I can live with it this year. We don't have UEFA Cup deadlines to worry about and it's understandable that a new boss will take longer than usual to bring players in due to having to draw up a completely new shortlist.

Hopefully by next transfer window things will be more settled and we will be able to prepare and then buy players (if required) with not too much messing around... like Houllier managed to do in January.

EDIT: just remembered it's VD, not Risso, who is always on about Spurs... although just to prove me wrong he doesn't metion them in the above post! Apologies Risso.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
Spurs have lost players too. They've just done a better job than almost every other team of "our size" in replacing them. if they don't get into the CL this season they'll find they'll lose a lot more of those top players. It won't matter where they are located.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 05:56:26 PM »
I agree with every word of that Dave, although I usually agree with your posts in generally. In fact, I think I'm in love with you.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »
Spurs have lost players too. They've just done a better job than almost every other team of "our size" in replacing them. if they don't get into the CL this season they'll find they'll lose a lot more of those top players. It won't matter where they are located.

I think at least a little bit of their ability to do a better job is about this...

Spurs transfer balance sheet - Clickyl

Villa transfer balance sheet - Clicky

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
Who are Transfermarkt that make them the definitive place to go for this info?
Genuine question, if I'm to take what you have posted as fact I need to know where they are getting their stuff from.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
A video that is more interesting than discussing Villa and Spurs' balance sheets again...

Link.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »
You wouldn't know from reading that, that Carlos Cuellar was played by both Martin O'Neill and Kev MacDonald on almost every occasion he was available and was a lynch pin in one of the most effective defences we have had in my 30 odd years of watching Villa. As far as I know, he has been injured since McLeish arrived having delayed having his knee operation until the season was over.

He started 98 games in only 3 seasons and our record with him in the team last season in league and cup games was W9 D3 L4

It is astonishing that anyone would insinuate that the fact he didn't kick up a public fuss about being left out of the team last season is indicative of a player happy to pick up a large wage for doing nothing. Almost as ridiculous as equating our transfer spending to Man City's on the basis of the Tevez situation.

Yes, it's quite frankly amazing anyone would say a word at odds with your interpretation of the facts isn't it?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 08:01:38 PM »
Who are Transfermarkt that make them the definitive place to go for this info?
Genuine question, if I'm to take what you have posted as fact I need to know where they are getting their stuff from.

There isn't a definitive online source of free transfer data that I'm aware of. Transfermarkt isn't perfect but are more comprehensive than soccerbase and at least as accurate. It's the best online source of transfer data that I know of but I'd be happy to find a better source if anyone knows of one.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 09:58:52 PM »
The problem  is that the optimism that the RL MON arrival bought has completely dissapeared. We are back to being considred a mid ranking Pl club. Our better players upsticks at the first opportunity. We can interperate this as a rebuilding plan or a consolidation of us as a making up the numbers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »
People seem to be underestimating the effects of the Financial Fair Play rules.

Even if Randy wanted to spend hundreds of millions, he can't. Our best hope is that Clark, Lichaj, Delph, Gary Gardner, Bannan, Albrighton and a few other youngsters all turn out to be World beaters.

Offline sonlyme

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
Thanks for that Mr W

An entertaining and challenging read - keep up the good work fella.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »

I think at least a little bit of their ability to do a better job is about this...

Spurs transfer balance sheet - Clickyl

Villa transfer balance sheet - Clicky

NRC cost £11,000,000 ?    ;-(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal