collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:36:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:36:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 02:36:06 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:35:46 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:34:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 02:34:14 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:34:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:34:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rangers Cuellar bid accepted  (Read 41627 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Rangers Cuellar bid accepted
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
Rather he was solid and reliable.
Which is exactly what you want from a back-up centre half.  It makes financial sense to sell but in football terms it depends on who he is replaced by.

So long as the centre-half in question agrees sitting out 90% of games is cool of course.  They must have a centre-half lined up.  It's only a guess but I'd say Dann is on his way here.

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
Quite happy with solid and reliable. Good characteristics of a centre-half.

Agree, so why has he never made the position his own?

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
Which is exactly what you want from a back-up centre half.  It makes financial sense to sell but in football terms it depends on who he is replaced by.

Your right. With each player that goes the pressure will be greater to replace them with better. Given for Friedal will be a good start.

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »

Your right. With each player that goes the pressure will be greater to replace them with better. Given for Friedal will be a good start.

And Dann for Cueller another move in the right direction.

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »

Would be a great addition but will we pay £10m ?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
He made 85 appearances in his 2 seasons under O'Neill.

Mainly because MON fell out with Luke young

Just the 63 appearances for Luke Young during the same 2 seasons.

Or 18 league and cup appearances in MON's last season, i.e. the season of the fall out. It's worth mentioning that it was also the season his brother died so missed about 3 months. No selective use of stats here.

There was no selective use of stats in my posts. Your own post highlights that Luke Young missed only 10 or 11 PL games in total after he returned following the death of his brother. I think that further demonstrates that the claim that Cuellar was an almost ever present in the team "Mainly because MON fell out with Luke young" is wrong, which was the point I was making.

I'm just highlighting the details rather than play on the average stats which can be/are misleading. If I remember correctly, Luke fell out with MON before his brother died, probably insisting that he plays right back rather than left back. I don't think we'll find many on here who think he's better on the right than the left.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
May not be going to Espanyol anymore..........

"Rangers end their interest in the Espanyol defender Raul Rodriguez after the Spanish club increased their original valuation of the player." from BBC Sportsday

Offline Rigadon

« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »

Would be a great addition but will we pay £10m ?

We'll see I guess.  It's natural for people to panic when they see players leaving but I reckon we'll see an influx of new players this week.  What has changed from about a week ago when Culler was saying he'd probably be seeing out his contract?  It  would seem to me that a player has suddenly become available and so Mr Cueller has now become cash-in-able to make a word up. 

I've always liked Cueller, but wen you here some talk about him being the best defender at the club etc, subjective as opinion is on these things,  I wonder if I've been watching the same player so in terms of fan appreciation, I wonder if he's almost benefited from not playing so much.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2011, 05:53:08 PM »
Cuellar - a player I don't have any particularly strong opinions about other than his rubbishness going forward from RB - seemingly can't win.

For ages lots of us were saying "MON plays him at RB because he's very good defensively, and that's the priority"

Now, we're hearing "he's being sold because he's not very good defensively".

Assuming we don't expect our centre backs to ghost forward with the ball like Franz Beckenbauer (and given that the first choices last season were the ginger leg swinger and a bloke with the passing technique and physique of a pub player, I think it's safe to say we don't), I'd have thought that "being able to defend" was quite a key demand of a centre half.

Ah well. Best of luck to the chap, I reckon he'll do well wherever he goes. Especially if it is Scotland, where I reckon your average pub player would do OK.

Online shipscat

• I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »
I'd imagine we intend to do some decent buiness in the centre back position,if we're letting Carlos leave.

Especially as I hear,we intend for Ciaran Clark to have a loan spell.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »

Source?

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2011, 07:11:25 PM »
Tomato.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

Very unlikely. I cant see that happening at all.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2011, 08:00:31 PM »
He made 85 appearances in his 2 seasons under O'Neill.

Mainly because MON fell out with Luke young

Just the 63 appearances for Luke Young during the same 2 seasons.

Or 18 league and cup appearances in MON's last season, i.e. the season of the fall out. It's worth mentioning that it was also the season his brother died so missed about 3 months. No selective use of stats here.

There was no selective use of stats in my posts. Your own post highlights that Luke Young missed only 10 or 11 PL games in total after he returned following the death of his brother. I think that further demonstrates that the claim that Cuellar was an almost ever present in the team "Mainly because MON fell out with Luke young" is wrong, which was the point I was making.

I'm just highlighting the details rather than play on the average stats which can be/are misleading. If I remember correctly, Luke fell out with MON before his brother died, probably insisting that he plays right back rather than left back. I don't think we'll find many on here who think he's better on the right than the left.

Do you mean the other way round, MK?

Young is far better on the right, and he doesn't have to cut in to make the simple pass all the time. But he is capable of playing on the left and doing a solid job. 

As to the fallout, Luke Young's comments pre Moscow and him making clear in the press  that he preferred to play on the right might have something to do with it. Both of these occurred before the death of his brother.

It was a curiously MON esque decision to spend money and big wages on Shorey and then have Luke Young play in his place. Whilst NRC operated at RB. Two players played out of position to make up for the indifferent form of one. And of course, another player played out of position at RB the following season (Cuellar) despite adequate time to source a good RB if he so desired. Or re-instate a very capable one (Young).

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2011, 10:46:40 PM »
Clark would not benefit from a loan spell

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal