collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reaction to ex players returning to VP.  (Read 16745 times)

Offline Holtenderinthesky

Re: Reaction to ex players returning to VP.
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
Did Platt get booed when he returned with Arse? I vaguely remember he did and I thought that was outrageous.

As I recall he got booed when he came on in LC semi. Showed how tense it was because I don't think he got any in the league game, and he scored for them in that (possibly)

The big difference with Platt retuning was that he'd spent a while in Italy before coming back.  It's a lot easier to accept the loss of a player if he isn't being sold to your rivals.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
Barry and Young gave good service to the club, Milner too who played his best for us up to the very last kick.

Downing says one thing and two weeks later says completely the opposite.  He is nothing but a weak, dis-loyal, lilly livered, spineless excuse of a person.  No sooner than the plaster has come off he wants out.  I wish him nothing but ill and that goes for his new team too.

Spot on, Bren.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
I find it hard to seperate him and Hodge to be honest,both shit on the Villa.Barry would be second, i still remember how he told a Sunday  people how it was nothing to do with money but the desire to play in the CL and then signs for a club not even in europe. Bosnich would be third,another one who messed the villa around in his last season before walking out on us.
...er, aren't City in the CL now? I think Barry wanted a club that had the potential to reach the CL. Clubs who sell their best players 4 years on the bounce don't have that.

TBF Spurs sold Carrick, Berbatov, Bent and Defoe (who HR re-signed) and managed to get into the CL.  It can be a good business plan to buy players for 10 mil and sell them for 20 but only if the funds are re-invested into the team.
Good point. I hope you're right and we invest in the right players. Not sure Bent was the player he was now though.

Offline James

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 04:37:11 PM »
Stewart "came on a crutch" Downing

This is how he should always be referred to in the Villa history books.

Agreed :)

I wonder if Petrov could manage to stamp on his foot again........ :P

Exactly what I was thinking, no less than the little shit deserves!

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
Downing has no spine and no balls.
Signed with a broken leg, we have waited patiently for one good season, then he runs off as fast as his little legs will carry him as soon as the opportunity arises.
I would just love someone to have the courage to tell one of these Billy Big Timers that they signed a contract and they will stay until the end of it even though we would lose millions....wouldn't it be refreshing?
Commercial madness I know but whoever does it (perhaps Levy)? would have my utmost admiration.

Offline GJH

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
At the time Yorkie leaving was devastating, we relied on him so much for his goals!

12.6m was an insult aswell. But nothing changes even under the lerner era.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
Stewart "came on a crutch" Downing

This is how he should always be referred to in the Villa history books.
I can think of much better and much more appropriate terms for SD. And so can every single one of us. Loads of 'em!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
At the time Yorkie leaving was devastating, we relied on him so much for his goals!

£12.6 was a lot of money at the time, it was'nt exactly 'an insult' bearing in mind in was over 13 years ago.

Offline GJH

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »
It was a lot of money, but his 30 odd goals the following season which helped united get the treble its a snip!

Could have held out for more.

Bearing in mind we were a top 6 club back then.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 07:10:22 PM »
Barry and Young gave good service to the club, Milner too who played his best for us up to the very last kick.

Downing says one thing and two weeks later says completely the opposite.  He is nothing but a weak, dis-loyal, lilly livered, spineless excuse of a person.  No sooner than the plaster has come off he wants out.  I wish him nothing but ill and that goes for his new team too.

This.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 07:13:43 PM »
It was a lot of money, but his 30 odd goals the following season which helped united get the treble its a snip!

Could have held out for more.

Bearing in mind we were a top 6 club back then.

The money was well spent though on Merson and Dublin so we did'nt do too badly out of it and don't forget, Shearer only went for £15m.

Offline GJH

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »
Yeah thats true Clampy, Just needed to sign Juninho aswell when we had the chance and who knows?

Perhaps if we would have held out for a bit more for Yorke, deadly would have sanctioned it.

Offline Sister of Top Cat

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
I'm not expecting him to play at Villa Park this season.  He will tweak or strain something in training the week before the game from which he will miraculously recover immediately after the final whistle.

Online nigel

Re: Reaction to ex palyers returning to VP.
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 09:32:20 PM »

Totally agree.
Gareth Barry gave us over 10 seasons, and Ash went about his final 6 months in a perfect way.
James Milner? I'm actually not to sure he even wanted to go. The reason he was sold was because MON over spent.
I might be shooting wide of the mark on that, but it's my opinion.
Downing owed Villa for the faith and loyalty we showed him when we signed him. That's why he'll be the first ex-Villa player that I'll openly boo on his return.

Online nigel

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

I've a feeling Yorke was into his last 12 months, which was why he went so cheaply

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal