collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ambition - Wenger comments  (Read 19790 times)

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Ambition - Wenger comments
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
Arsenal are fcuked if Van Persie picks up another bad injury this season.

Chamakh's last prem goal was at VP in November and Bedtner dosen't want to be there.

Going back to last season, Arsenal's form stands at 1 win in 11 games.

Didn't he have a perfectly good goal disallowed against us at the Emirates? Another one who seems to play well against us only. But seriously with him, was it the cold winter but he disappeared from the team since they played us at home and seemed to barely get a chance even as sub for the rest of the season even though they were desperate for goals.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »
Sometimes people who have had success get stuck and stubourn, the more people question him the more entrenched he seems to become. Fans are saying we bought the debentures we are paying top price for tickets, where are the Trophys, bless em

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »
Arsenal are 3 signings from finishing in the top 4. And have the money to do it, and the pull to get them.

More than that, I reckon.

They need a new defence, they need to replace Fabregas and Nasri and a striker for every time Van Persie breaks down. That's without mentioning the dodgy keeper.

Trouble is, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea are not much better and Arsenal will still beat sides that can't cope with movement. A centre back, and 2 central midfielders and I reckon top 3 still.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »
Arsenal are 3 signings from finishing in the top 4. And have the money to do it, and the pull to get them.

More than that, I reckon.

They need a new defence, they need to replace Fabregas and Nasri and a striker for every time Van Persie breaks down. That's without mentioning the dodgy keeper.

Trouble is, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea are not much better and Arsenal will still beat sides that can't cope with movement. A centre back, and 2 central midfielders and I reckon top 3 still.
Apart from possibly Wilshere and Sagna, I can't think of any Arsenal players that would get close to the Chelsea team.

And Chelsea are going to have their work cut out to get close to the top two.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »
Considering how poor Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool are it's disappointing that the club have decided that our chance has gone and are not going to try and break into the top four.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
The players I see them linked with most often are M'Villa and Hazard.  Both have huge reputations as wonder kids but lack experience, so they're classic Wenger signings.  Surely Parker would be ideal for them to help bring on Wilshire and Ramsey?  Equally Jaglielka rather than Cahill would be a much more prudent signing to me as he has been around a bit and is more of a leader.

It's weird the problems seem so obvious that it should be easy to fix.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »
Considering how poor Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool are it's disappointing that the club have decided that our chance has gone and are not going to try and break into the top four.

I think we've just decided that it won't be this season. I would hope that after next summer we'll again start to invest more in players that are of the right age and with an adherence to a tighter contractual policy combined with a keen eye to continuing to develop our own. My thoughts are that the club want to clear out the last of the aging players on big contracts first before they push on again.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »
My Arsenal ST holding mate was talking today about how important their match tomorrow is. Fail to qualify for the CL and they can forget about spending the Fabregas and Nasri money (that's assuming they have time) - it'll be used to plug the revenue hole.

The Fabregas thing is puzzling. The whole world and his wife knew he'd be off to Barcelona this summer. They should have sold him as early into the window as possible and moved on. It's all very well haggling for the last million or two, but if you get it a week and a bit before the window closes, you're not going to have a chance to spend it.

Or maybe that was the point.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2011, 11:19:44 PM »
I was about to mention that I wondered how big the Udinese game would be for them. Not just for the money but also to attract players.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:48 PM »
if they go out it could set them back years. It will be a monstrous financial blow.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:06 PM »
Udinese should have hammered them last week so it will be an interesting game.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:27 PM »
if they go out it could set them back years. It will be a monstrous financial blow.

Not necessarily. When they moved to the emirates they were budgeting for Champions League once every three seasons and average gates far lower than they've ever achieved.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
Let's hope they go out and then we will see.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
I think Arsenal also made a fortune from the redevelopment of Highbury didn't they?  Of all the Big 4/5, I think they're the most financially sound.  Not qualifying for the Champions League would be a blow of course, but I think they'd feel it the most in terms of trying to attract replacements for Nasri and Fabregas.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2011, 11:11:18 PM »
Arsene Wenger today blamed Aston Villa for Samir Nasri’s decision to move to Manchester City.

Speaking after the player had agreed  a five year deal at Eastlands, Wenger said that Nasri, 24 had been forced to quit Arsenal because of Villa’s failure to replace the likes of Gareth Barry and James Milner.

“I have been in England for over ten years now and it has always been Villa’s job to provide City with their best players” said the Frenchman, “we are being punished for their failure.”

“If we are going to hold onto our best players Aston Villa and not Arsenal must provide City with what they need.”

Nasri had trained with Arsene Wenger’s squad on Tuesday in the vain hope that Roberto Mancini would opt to sign Fabian Delph, but the Gunners’ chances were dashed when the City manager saw the player in action.

Speaking after concluding the Nasri deal Roberto Mancini made it clear that his days of shopping at Villa Park were now over.

“Their best players have already played for Manchester City and the last time I went to Villa Park I was attacked by Stephen Ireland dressed up as a chicken, everyone told me that London is good for shopping and that is where I will go from now on” said the City chief.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal