collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ambition - Wenger comments  (Read 19798 times)

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Ambition - Wenger comments
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 01:06:44 PM »
I thought it might happen late last season but it's surely just around the corner and the frantic head scratching witnessed at the weekend was only the latest episode.

Wenger is slowly going mad, driven to it by a huge persecution complex and the fact that he is unable to come to terms with the fact that his current methods don't work.

Todays two match ban handed to him by UEFA won't help.

Offline mal

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 01:09:24 PM »
Downing is more of a loss than youngy!

Uh can I please have some of whatever you're on?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
Good time to revive this thread.  People were predicting with confidence that Arsenal, if they sold Fabregas and Nasri, would go out and show their superior ambition and resources with the purchase of top class replacements, putting Villa firmly in their place.  But at present, if anything, they look more directionless than we did.

If they finish the season with anything less than 15 points more than us I'll be absolutely amazed.  They haven't got off to a good start, but I think two games is a bit soon to be writing them off.

Sure.  There's still a week to go in the transfer window, but at the same time I doubt whether the Arsenal forums are happy places today.  Especially as they've just lost to the team a lot of them will be predicting will take their place in the top 4.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
Good time to revive this thread.  People were predicting with confidence that Arsenal, if they sold Fabregas and Nasri, would go out and show their superior ambition and resources with the purchase of top class replacements, putting Villa firmly in their place.  But at present, if anything, they look more directionless than we did.

If they finish the season with anything less than 15 points more than us I'll be absolutely amazed.  They haven't got off to a good start, but I think two games is a bit soon to be writing them off.

I don't think there was ever a discussion about whether or not Arsenal are a better team than us, which they are, but that when players want to leave it's very hard to keep them, even for a CL side, putting our issues with Ash and Downing into more perspective.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 02:22:22 PM »
Arsenal are 3 signings from finishing in the top 4. And have the money to do it, and the pull to get them.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
Arsenal are 3 signings from finishing in the top 4. And have the money to do it, and the pull to get them.

But does Wenger have the inclination to buy them as opposed to using his kids?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »

More than that, I reckon.

They need a new defence, they need to replace Fabregas and Nasri and a striker for every time Van Persie breaks down. That's without mentioning the dodgy keeper.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »

3 or 4 I would say. The problem is they need to be 3 or 4 very, very good players and they have just over a week to do it.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 04:56:12 PM »

3 or 4 I would say. The problem is they need to be 3 or 4 very, very good players and they have just over a week to do it.
I think they could find themselves in a real mess if they dont get the quality it and could finish as low as 7th IMO>

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »

Sure.  There's still a week to go in the transfer window, but at the same time I doubt whether the Arsenal forums are happy places today.  Especially as they've just lost to the team a lot of them will be predicting will take their place in the top 4.

Had a look at Arsenal Mania last night and they're saying it's the worst squad under Wenger and they're expecting 5th or 6th this season.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »

Maybe a bit more than that now Ozz. It's also the affect it will have on the squad to lose their two best and influential players, and as already been mentioned whether Wenger buys appropriately to replace them. It's all good and well signing the next superstar that we won't see in action until 2015, but he needs proven quality today. He's not done well in the transfer market in that respect. Add to that Wenger's own mental state. It can't be good for the players to see their manager with head in hands pose on what now seems a more regular basis. He's had enough time to find a solid goalkeeper and CB and he's massively failed to bring in either. Yet somehow he signed a 17yr old kid that they really didn't need for incredible money which proves he's still stubbornly listening to the voices in his head.

I think Wenger is on the verge of collapsing because he has nobody at the club to help him through this. David Dein was the one person that he could confide in and he's not there. Just some fat Russian bloke and an American with an impressively dodgy moustache. If he manages to pull some signings out of his arse in the next couple of days they have enough talent to secure a top 4 spot, but right now he's doing his best MON, and leaving everything to the last minute.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
I can see them struggling on Wednesday night ..

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:34 PM »
Arsenal are fcuked if Van Persie picks up another bad injury this season.

Chamakh's last prem goal was at VP in November and Bedtner dosen't want to be there.

Going back to last season, Arsenal's form stands at 1 win in 11 games.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
what's amazing is that seemingly everyone sees this except Wenger. The top players want out. I listened to 606 and almost every Arsenal fan that called can see the cracks appearing. The club lack any sort of discipline on the pitch, yet somehow Wenger will tell you they are the victims. It's like Wenger needs an intervention.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:22 PM »
I've had ten quid at 6/1 that Wenger is the first Premier League manager to bite the dust.  It'll be either dump or jump.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal