collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: RAL Takeover 5 Years In  (Read 35728 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: RAL Takeover 5 Years In
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
I can't help thinking that things would have looked a lot different if Steve Stride was still here.

I'm pretty sure the PR gaffes would have been kept to a minimum.

I still think the McLeish appointment, to an extent, was a flexing of the muscles scenario.
A way of saying to the supporters 'Get back in your box'*

* Which is what I dare say McLeish will be screaming from the touchline all next season.

I was about to post if anyone seriously thinks the Stride 'resignation' has been for the benefit of the club but thought I might be ridiculed.  Especially compared to this serial buffooner we currently have in his position.  He looks like he has just left fuckin school for an apprenticeship.

I don't think anyone would ridicule pointing out that Steve's been missd - certainly no-one's been so  historically revised in the history of the club. From Ellis yes-man to adminisrative genius without doing anything. Nobody's really in his position now though - club secretary was a more important role when he had it. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:54:20 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
Steve Stride left because he felt his job had run its course.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2011, 05:52:58 PM »
I can't help thinking that things would have looked a lot different if Steve Stride was still here.

I still think the McLeish appointment, to an extent, was a flexing of the muscles scenario.

* Which is what I dare say McLeish will be screaming from the touchline all next season.

I was about to post if anyone seriously thinks the Stride 'resignation' has been for the benefit of the club but thought I might be ridiculed.  Especially compared to this serial buffooner we currently have in his position.  He looks like he has just left fuckin school for an apprenticeship.
Stride did a good job under what must have been a difficult and frustrating boss, Herbert.
It was strange that with all his knowledge and experience he was allowed to leave and he could have done an excellent job working for a more 'free rein' boss in Lerner.

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »

I don't think anyone's been as historically revised in the history of the club as Steve. From Ellis yes-man to adminisrative genius without doing anything. He's certainly been missed, although nobody's really in his position now - club secretary was a more important role when he had it. 
I can't speak for anybody else, but I certainly never saw him as a yes man, he was responsible for Gregory coming to the club, it was his idea, at a time when we were in the shit.
He was also brilliant at ensuring the smooth running of any incoming transfers.

A nice bloke to boot.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:57:44 PM by Rip Van Bentfletch »

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
Steve Stride left because he felt his job had run its course.
I'm sure Mr Lerner sir could have persuaded him otherwise.

Offline Legion

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
I don't think he could have. I'll dig out my interview notes.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »

I don't think anyone would ridicule pointing out that Steve's been missd - certainly no-one's been so  historically revised in the history of the club. From Ellis yes-man to adminisrative genius without doing anything. Nobody's really in his position now though - club secretary was a more important role when he had it. 

I think many regarded him as a talented and respected administrator before his annoying boss left.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2011, 06:00:05 PM »
Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »
Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Don't get me wrong, I think the board rate him.
But my feeling is that there was a certain amount of 'We'll give you something to moan about' in the appointment.
They were well aware of the ill feeling towards McLaren and Martinez, the McLeish appointment was off the scale.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
I wonder if a great part of the problem was that we went from having a controlling, "I run things" style manager which masked the naivety of the rest of the upper management f the club, to a situation where we have a combination of an incredibly inexperienced CEO who looks way out of his depth, a chairman who is 3000 miles away most of the time, and a management team with zero football knowledge.

I think O'Neill was given too much power but can see how it was convenient at the time. When he walked out, we were left exposed.

I can understand a certain degree of flux and uncertainty after he went, but what i can't understand is that we don't seem to have learned anything from his time here or in the twelve months since, and that I have no sympathy for.

When Houllier left, I was sure of two things. Firstly that in getting shot of him do quickly, and having had two months notice of this, they would have been working on something impressive in terms of a succession. Secondly, that having been through one appointment process in very trying circumstances, tji time we would benefit from the lessons learned.

What transpired was that they didn't seem to have given the replacement process any thought, and that they actually managed to create a shoddier state of affairs than the previous time.

I would never have believed that possible.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:11:12 PM by pauliebentnuts »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2011, 06:06:20 PM »
Lerner's shit. He's done nothing for us. I always said so, I just kept quiet about it for 4 1/2 years. He should sell up now to a consortium of Arab billionaires. There's bound to be one waiting.

There you go - that'll save a few pages.

Grow up.

That's rich coming from you.

Why are you quite so keen that the board's record isn't debated?  Why is this thread "pointless"?

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
It's a valid thread, if people don't like them then H & V isn't the place to be for the forseeable future as there will be a hell of a lot more debates on the boards ineptness.

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »
Wasn't Steve Stride also on the panel that voted in favour of Wimbledon becoming MK Dons?

Offline Legion

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »
Yes, he was. There was a three-man committee set up.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2011, 06:12:01 PM »
Lerner's shit. He's done nothing for us. I always said so, I just kept quiet about it for 4 1/2 years. He should sell up now to a consortium of Arab billionaires. There's bound to be one waiting.

There you go - that'll save a few pages.

Grow up.

That's rich coming from you.

Why are you quite so keen that the board's record isn't debated?  Why is this thread "pointless"?

Because it's bring debated on just about every thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal