collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:50 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:36:48 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:20 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:12:29 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Drummond
[Today at 09:11:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randys Reaction  (Read 39059 times)

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: Randys Reaction
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
Randy is his own man, that's for sure. I've no doubt that he wants what's best for Villa. Unfortunately, it looks like he's made a pig's ear of this one.

If it's McCleish, so be it. I don't like it, not one fucking bit. But, the board make the decisions, not the fans. If it works out, I'll tip my hat to the man.

Roll on next season.

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 10:01:51 PM »
London, Manchester, and Liverpool are awash with successful, competative football clubs.

Unfortunatey we live in Birmingham a city that's managed one League Championship in 100 years.

Clearly it's down to Aston Villa to give the people of Birmingham something to shout about, but I think it's fairly clear now that with Randy Lerner as owner  we'll do no more than tread water.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »
the problem is and i cant understand how everyone is okay with this is

Eck has been relegated twice in four seasons

and still people are okay with him becoming our new manager

The first one they were already deep in the shit when he arrived.
The second one was mainly because he had nobody who could find the net, we have Bent.

For the first one he started in November and had January to bring in players of his choosing.

For the second, part of the problem with not finding the net was the fact he sent out his teams to not concede and hopefully snatch a goal. Even the last match of this season, he set out to defend for 90 mins, they managed to get a goal when needed and instead of pressing for the second when in the ascendency, sat back and played for the draw again.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 10:07:19 PM »
I wouldn't be distraught at the prospect of Lerner walking, and I couldn't imagine thinking that before the last few days.

True, we could get a lot worse. But we could get even better.
Man Citeh lost Shinawatra and gained Sheikh Mansour. Liverpool jettisoned Gillette and Hicks and gained the Fenway Sports Group.

The conditions that attracted RL in the first place are still  there and remain largely untapped; big fanbase, large catchment area, potential for growth et.c.  If he does nothing else, his work to date helped put us back into the spotlight between 2007-09 and two successive top 4 challenges probably helped to increase our profile in the UK and beyond.  All good things. Along with the Holte Hotel, the free coaches and all the rest of it.

Which makes this schoolboy error he seems about to commit even more exasperating. Fletch and a few others have mentioned that it's possibly part of a deliberate downgrading of expectations -maybe even with an exit strategy in mind.
If that's the case, I'd rather they just got on with it and sold up rather than endure a slow painful death and decline in profile due to Big Eck's dismal approach to football. 

Alternatively, he might be too easily persuaded by his advisors and he might actually believe this will be the appointment to put us back in the running.  No, I don't see it either. The hope would then be that if RL was still willing to have a go and compete after the shit hits the fan, these advisors will be forced to walk the plank around the  same time Big Eck invariably does (no doubt with a lucrative payoff in his skyrocket).

Offline Barca 2011

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »
The club survived 132 years without him, I'm sure
we will last just as long if he spits his dummy out and
heads off into the sunset.
In short he can accept we don't like what he seems about to do
or he can do one!!

Offline TonyD

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
Good post Kev

Offline l_mckay

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
cant see him walking,cant belive he is going to appoint such a crap manager,but hopefully he will prove me wrong!?!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »
If Lerner wanted to take his ball home (which I doubt he'd be able to out, as our finances are a lot shit) then good riddance quite frankly. 

Christ almighty. A bit much eh?

My thinking on this is as it has been for the last few years. He's a decent enough owner but if we could have an Arab sheikh or Russian Gas Gazillionaire then I'd be happy for him to go. The problem is we could get some kind of trial baloonist hairdresser or chicken farmer instead which could do the club a lot of damage.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »
If he was losing interest or just wanted to piss us all off, surely it would be a lot easier to replace the Aston Villa signage above the North Stand with 'Get Fcked You Limey Pricks.'

Amounts to the same thing, but much cheaper than paying GH off and employing Big Eck.

Offline sixways

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
If he decided to leave then so be it. All of his good work over the last few years will be completely undone by appointing McLeish anyway so what would it matter? Would we like an owner who obviously looks upon the 'fans' as a neccessary but unfortunate irritant which seems to be the case at the moment?

The apparent complete disregard for the feelings of the regular supporter at the present time leads me to believe we'd be better off without him. McLeish for heaven's sake! What the HELL are you thinking Randy?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 10:22:45 PM »

The apparent complete disregard for the feelings of the regular supporter at the present time leads me to believe we'd be better off without him.

Are there any other billionaires you know of looking to buy a Premier League club and hand it over to a  supporter co-operative?

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 10:25:02 PM »
A few have said they will back him or any other Villa manager, I'm not sure I've read anyone who thinks appointing him is anything but a bad idea.

I do - he has won more trophies as a manager than our last 10 managers put together - year one Blues finished in their highest ever league position and year 2 won a trophy (One more than we have had for years!) -not bad with the resources available. We have an infinitely better structure on and off the pitch than blues and better finances - style of play is based upon players available - as stated in another post we have an out and out goalscorer who can get 20 goals a season - if he can improve our defence then top 6 is a strong possibility - MON was welcomed with open arms when he came and his trophy successes were in Scotlandand his style of play was no different to Mcleish. I for one will give him my support - I have been a ST holder for 43 years and I support ASTON VILLA whoever the players and whoever the manager. I will still be supporting ASTON VILLA long after McLeish has left as well.

Offline sixways

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »

The apparent complete disregard for the feelings of the regular supporter at the present time leads me to believe we'd be better off without him.

Are there any other billionaires you know of looking to buy a Premier League club and hand it over to a  supporter co-operative?

Well it isn't anymore is it?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »
The Villa 'faithful' aren't going to be happy no matter who gets appointed, since the top polling candidates Ancelotti and Moyes wanted nothing to do with us, and the club wasn't content to give Benitez a blank cheque to buy whoever he wanted.

I don't believe this is the one appointment that would cause uproar. It's just a mighty good excuse.

Up the Villa.

Tosh, we've been just been linked with two managers who finished 3rd and 4th bottom, and we look like appointing the one who got his team relegated.  If Lerner wanted to take his ball home (which I doubt he'd be able to out, as our finances are a lot shit) then good riddance quite frankly. 
Bloody hell....

There's so many other business people out there, just lining up desperately wanting to pump "their" money into a football team to be told by miserable, selfish football fans how exactly they should spend it. And if he decides to make decisions from his perspective there's always the chance that they'll show up at the gates or at the training ground and vandalise it. I can only imagine how many blokes from the Middle East of Asia that have caught the events from today are ringing up Randy just itching to part with their cash to be a part of us.

Let alone how some people see Randy's fall from grace, we've done a bloody good job of falling from grace ourselves today as a fan base.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »

Well it isn't anymore is it?

It never has been, so how would we be better off?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal