collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:17:15 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 02:14:26 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:12:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:09:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Increasing Power of Internet Warriors.  (Read 10132 times)

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
Re: The Increasing Power of Internet Warriors.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
Just check out the top 5 stories on Newsnow and see the "Blog" that seems to be taking over the whole of Villa related Internet traffic.

The Internet can indeed be a dangerous thing.

It's not the internet that is dangerous,  more those that post on it.

It unfortunately gives a voice to those that should be have their fingers cut off at birth

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
In any other reasonably sized commercial business what owner of that reasonably sized commercial business cancels an interview with a prospective managerial candidate based on the backlash of a rolling 800 people logged onto one of two main unofficial internet forums.  I am all for listening to fans, but this is unprecedented and weak leadership isn't it - whatever we think of the potential incumbent.  I really do miss Steve Stride and I never thought I would say that.

NB - I am sure it was my wally with the brolly comment that finally put it to bed :-)

I've been saying this for some time, they hold far too much store by what about 400 internet nerds say across Villa forums.

Which is true enough, but in this case, thank chuff so much store was placed within these cyber walls.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
Very likely this story was whipped up by McLaren's agent to put his client in a good light. Colin Gordon - once a
a nose...

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
Regardless of whether this is true or not I'd hope the club had the strength and conviction to make the decision they (not the internet warrior class) think is the best one they could make.

If it is true then the fans are not even the root cause of it. The reason nobody wants McClaren is because of his image. This was not created by the fans but rather the media. For the Wally with the Brolly read the 'turnip' for an example of a decent manager tarnished by the media after drinking from the poisoned chalice that is the England job. That said as it can be argued that Sir Graham did not help himself with some eccentric selections and an inopportune documentary appearance McClaren has not helped himself with similar tactical clangers and his terrible put on accents. The man himself and in particular Murphy's colleagues in the press pack are to blame to a far greater extent that the fans.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »

Re: Murphy being "sad" "Bitter" and "with an axe to grind" - genuinely don't understand these comments. I've been away from UK for 4 years now, but always remember Pat Murphy being pretty well respected in Vila circles, even since Lerner came in. Have I missed something in the mean time Risso??

To be honest i've always like Murphy, never understood why he was referred to as an Elluis stooge in some quarters or taken to task for perceived wrongs about Villa when as far as I could tell he was offering a balanced view on goings on at Villa Park.

That was until this season where perhaps because he has never gained access to Lerner and co he has used every opportunity to have a little dig at any goings on at Villa Park and notably the Villa support. At the moment he is coming accross as a fairly bitter individual with some sort of axe to grind where Villa are concerned and as a result I now think he is a knob of the highest order. His reporting of Villa approaching Martinez for the job contained barely supressed delight so fuck him.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »
Just sounds like Murphy covering his own arse to me- with a bit of Lerner bashing thrown in for good measure.

But if it is true that the club considered McLame but the negative reaction around here and elsewhere put them off -then good.

You can call it weak management if you wish. But for years we were crying out for the club to take the concerns of fans on board. Can't have it both ways.

Offline bob

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
I simply refuse to believe that a reporter as eminent (and Maz I am with you reference MO'N and some bile on his part) as Murphy would stake his reputation on a national radio station and say what he did yesterday if there was not some truth in it.  McLaren saying that this morning is probably more about damage limitation on his part I would suggest.

You refuse to believe Pat Murphy would make it up, but also dismiss a statement from McClaren's representative?

Jesus Christ.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »
I simply refuse to believe that a reporter as eminent (and Maz I am with you reference MO'N and some bile on his part) as Murphy would stake his reputation on a national radio station and say what he did yesterday if there was not some truth in it.  McLaren saying that this morning is probably more about damage limitation on his part I would suggest.

You refuse to believe Pat Murphy would make it up, but also dismiss a statement from McClaren's representative?

Jesus Christ.

Calm down dear.

And yes, I would believe Murphy over an agent.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal