collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:41:42 PM]

Robin Olsen by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 11:40:20 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:39:35 PM]

Champions League Contention by curiousorange
[Today at 11:38:28 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 11:32:37 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Clampy
[Today at 11:28:31 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 11:19:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nigel Reo-Coker  (Read 32789 times)

Offline whydelilah

Nigel Reo-Coker
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »
Just a quick message, we (Stoke City) have been linked with NRC.

Not sure how much truth is in it but just thought I'd ask for your opinions of him?

What he's good at, what he's not so good at, would he be a good addition for us, would you be happy to see him go etc?

Cheers

WD

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Nigel Reo-Coker
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
He's a very limited footballer indeed, but sometimes you need a niggly fecker (obviously, I'm preaching to the converted here) and therefore serves a purpose. Did well for us towards the end of the season.

Gives the impression he thinks he's a lot better than he actually is.

Points a lot.

Organises team huddles.

Offline Summers

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »
He's a terrier. Breaks up attacks, wins the ball, never stops working. His engine is fantastic. His passing is okay but not great, and his ability on the ball and getting forward is limited. However, at West Ham he was more forward-thinking so he must be capable of reverting to his box-to-box style. Personally? I'm gutted he's gone. His attitude was fantastic on the pitch, one of the most vocal players I've ever seen - can drive teams on.

Offline whydelilah

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
He's a terrier. Breaks up attacks, wins the ball, never stops working. His engine is fantastic. His passing is okay but not great, and his ability on the ball and getting forward is limited. However, at West Ham he was more forward-thinking so he must be capable of reverting to his box-to-box style. Personally? I'm gutted he's gone. His attitude was fantastic on the pitch, one of the most vocal players I've ever seen - can drive teams on.

Sounds positive.

That was the perception I had of him, from the outside looking in.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
As he plays in midfield, I wouldn't have thought it was of any relevance to Stoke as to what he is like as a player surely? Oh and he can't pass so that should suit you well ;-)

Sorry, I have a lot of time for Stoke as a club and know some great fans who follow them, but I find their style of football utterly repellant

Offline whydelilah

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
As he plays in midfield, I wouldn't have thought it was of any relevance to Stoke as to what he is like as a player surely? Oh and he can't pass so that should suit you well ;-)

Sorry, I have a lot of time for Stoke as a club and know some great fans who follow them, but I find their style of football utterly repellant

As time has gone on our style of play as slowly improved.

Admittedly its not the most "aesthetically pleasing" in the league but it is effective.

We now deploy 2 out and out, old fashioned style wingers so we don't always go down the direct route.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:12:10 PM by whydelilah »

Offline Summers

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »

Sounds positive.

That was the perception I had of him, from the outside looking in.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority though. A lot will come in and say he's too limited, can't pass, doesn't do enough. But I guess it depends how you look at it. I hope he goes to you, I like Stoke and he'd be a good fit.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
If Nigel is told to just sit in front of the back four and protect it he's a very valuable asset.  It's when he tries to be a rampaging box to box midfielder that his limitations become a problem.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »
He's also a a natural leader and captain..

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »

Admittedly its not the most "aesthetically pleasing" in the league but it is effective.

We now deploy 2 out and out, old fashioned style wingers so we don't always go down the direct route.

I don't think it was the way you played per se which wound people up when we played you this year, it was the gamesmanship more than anything.

Although we're used to the winger thing ;)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »

Could have fooled me after the match at Villa Park.
NRC is not really a dirty player or a timewaster, so i'm not sure how much use he'd be to you.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »

As time as gone out out style of play as slowly improved.

Well, we shall agree to differ slightly and I have no wish to argue with decent fans from other clubs like your good self! Coker, if he comes, will probably be a younger version of Glen Whelan I suspect. I am not a great fan of his (Coker) - in fact, I think he is bloody useless - so perhaps my view is not entirely balanced! I could certainly envisage him at Stoke

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »
he has a work rate that is excellent, and can break up play... has pace, is reasonably strong and his engine is fantastic...

he does however, have poor decision making... with this he dwells on the ball too much and then has to rush a pass and that makes him look like he is a poor passer of the ball...

his touch isnt the greatest either and it sometimes seems like he has hexagonal shins and feet...

i like him because of his work rate and attitude, however, he is a limited footballer...

i do like the way that his potential targets that apparently included the likes of ac milan, have now been lowered to the likes of stoke...

so much for the hard ball contract negotiations, eh okey cokey? time to fire the agent, me thinks...

Offline Merv

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »
He'd be a good signing for you (or indeed, many of the PL clubs) and I can see why you'd be interested. We should have kept him, in my opinion - one of our better players last season and it means we have yet another replacement to find in what will already be a busy summer. But still, we debated the merits of NRC long and hard recently so I'd best not open that can of worms up again.

If Pulis makes sure Nigel does what he's good at - winning the ball, making short, simple passes, he'll be a very effective player for Stoke. Nigel himself likes to think he's an attacking box-to-box sort, but he's not, he doesn't have any composure in front of goal and his final ball isn't great. But he'll run all day, lead the side, and he's still relatively young at 26/7.

Go for it. Wages might be an issue, however.

Offline whydelilah

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »

Could have fooled me after the match at Villa Park.
NRC is not really a dirty player or a timewaster, so i'm not sure how much use he'd be to you.

Its not really fair to take one match on its own as an example of how a team plays.

We have been pretty poor away from home this Season but on the whole our style of play has improved.

We do need to step it up next season though, especially away from home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal