collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by garyellis
[Today at 10:55:43 PM]

NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:51:17 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by Dave
[Today at 10:44:27 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:41:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:28:40 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:28:12 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KRS
[Today at 09:53:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:21 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by garyellis
[Today at 10:55:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:53:46 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:51:17 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by dave.woodhall
[Today at 10:50:00 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:45:16 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by Dave
[Today at 10:44:27 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:41:39 PM]

Re: Fan Voted Player of the Year by Monty
[Today at 10:38:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who Should be Aston Villa Manager ? Now with new, revised poll  (Read 1989638 times)

Offline pelty

Re: Who Should be Aston Villa Manager ? Now with new, revised poll
« Reply #4290 on: June 10, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
Some of the things I read on here beggar belief. People need to realize that it takes more than a batting of the eyelashes to attract a manager. Interestingly, it takes two to tango, so what if certain individuals are identified but do not wish to come. Is that a lack of ambition on Villa's part? Let's say, hypothetically (seriously), a Low or an Ancelotti or a van Gaal is approached and he says, "No thanks." Does that mean that Randy is not ambitious or does it mean that a manager has his own agenda or reasons for not accepting the offer? What if a prospect wants to hold the club to ransom and this does not sit well with the owner? Does this make the owner one who lacks ambition or a prudent steward of the club? What if a prospect (or more than one, even!) has decided that he feels an obligation to be loyal to his current club and thus decides to stay where he is? Does this mean that Randy is a hack?

Clearly, it does to someone like Risso who has it all figured out. The good news is that, due to his expansive knowledge of how this all works, he will soon be in a position to make this happen as he clearly must be one who is rising through the ranks of the footballing bureaucracy, right, Risso? Remind me, what club do you currently work for? Where have you been acquiring and honing your skills, again? It is just a matter of time, I feel certain, before you are leading the Villa to glory as the CEO. I, for one, am counting down the minutes to that time when you will bring the full weight of your nous and your Delphic insight into the boardroom.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #4291 on: June 10, 2011, 04:43:39 PM »
I'm tired of all this now.

Just go and appoint Mark Hughes to put an end to it.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4292 on: June 10, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »
Oooh! Pelty-that must sting!

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #4293 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »
Some of the things I read on here beggar belief. People need to realize that it takes more than a batting of the eyelashes to attract a manager. Interestingly, it takes two to tango, so what if certain individuals are identified but do not wish to come. Is that a lack of ambition on Villa's part? Let's say, hypothetically (seriously), a Low or an Ancelotti or a van Gaal is approached and he says, "No thanks." Does that mean that Randy is not ambitious or does it mean that a manager has his own agenda or reasons for not accepting the offer? What if a prospect wants to hold the club to ransom and this does not sit well with the owner? Does this make the owner one who lacks ambition or a prudent steward of the club? What if a prospect (or more than one, even!) has decided that he feels an obligation to be loyal to his current club and thus decides to stay where he is? Does this mean that Randy is a hack?

You do have a point, but when Fulham appoint Martin Jol with minimum fuss and we are (seemingly) offering the job to Martinez, it doesnt inspire confidence.

Offline Fernando Partridge

« Reply #4294 on: June 10, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
I read with interest on this forum . Is nt hughes out of the running ??? aswell as mclown benietez martinez ancelotti
Also why is moyes not on the poll?
perhaps Frank Rijkaard would be a good appointment.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4295 on: June 10, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
Can someone confirm whether the "we're not interested in Hughes" statement came from the club or just press speculation?

ditto - benitez and McLaren.

From official sources I think the only guy ruled out is Martinez and Ancelotti want some time off (but arguably said before any job offers).  Is that right?
Obviously, the club may have been leaking some comments to the press but, in the whole, that does not appear to be their tactics.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #4296 on: June 10, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
On a side note, if Martinez has decided to stay at Wigan out of respect for his club then he has gone up in my estimations massively.  I didn't want him here as I don't think he is good enough (yet) but I do like the man and it is refreshing to see a bit of loyalty in the game (if that is the case of course). 

Offline Gingerlad

« Reply #4297 on: June 10, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Can someone confirm whether the "we're not interested in Hughes" statement came from the club or just press speculation?

From official sources I think the only guy ruled out is Martinez and Ancelotti want some time off (but arguably said before any job offers).  Is that right?
Obviously, the club may have been leaking some comments to the press but, in the whole, that does not appear to be their tactics.

from the club the day hughes left fulham and from MM a few times also.

Offline Fernando Partridge

« Reply #4298 on: June 10, 2011, 04:53:42 PM »
yes we missed out a jol .. too
i dont want to beleive durham and some crazy northern guy on talkbollox but they are really giving villa low status
booo them
they are making villa jokes
some points are accurate that martinez wouldnt turn down liverpool or spurs this saddens me
where are we heading .. hopefully a inspired appointment for randy and faulkner ..
dave jones avram grant steve coppell these jokers have no idea randy will surely get a bigger name .. billic , klinsmannn ,flores ,ranieri
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:55:56 PM by Fernando Partridge »

Offline pelty

« Reply #4299 on: June 10, 2011, 04:54:28 PM »

You do have a point, but when Fulham appoint Martin Jol with minimum fuss and we are (seemingly) offering the job to Martinez, it doesnt inspire confidence.

"Seemingly" is the operative word. As for the Fulham-Jol connection, there is surely much going on behind the scenes of which we were not aware. There had been previous dialogue between those two parties, right? I would imagine that the "get to know one another" part of the process had already occurred and so it was easier to get down to business. That is pure speculation, admittedly, but seems likely.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #4300 on: June 10, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »

Clearly, it does to someone like Risso who has it all figured out. The good news is that, due to his expansive knowledge of how this all works, he will soon be in a position to make this happen as he clearly must be one who is rising through the ranks of the footballing bureaucracy, right, Risso? Remind me, what club do you currently work for? Where have you been acquiring and honing your skills, again? It is just a matter of time, I feel certain, before you are leading the Villa to glory as the CEO. I, for one, am counting down the minutes to that time when you will bring the full weight of your nous and your Delphic insight into the boardroom.
Hang on a moment.
We don't need to go down the old route of 'You've never coached a football club, so what would you know?' route, do we?

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #4301 on: June 10, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »

from the club the day hughes left fulham and from MM a few times also.

Maybe now we have no choice but to get interested in Hughes again.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #4302 on: June 10, 2011, 04:57:06 PM »

I think the problem is We are not a london club.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4303 on: June 10, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »

Sorry to disappoint you Pelty, but I couldn't afford the drop in salary, now would I wish to sully my CV by working for such a bunch of amateurs.  Anyway, can I ask in what capacity you're giving out information now?  It'd probably be better if the club were just open for a change rather than using a non exec-director's son to leak things on the sly. The last time you and the General acted in concert, Martin O'Neill ended up leaving.  You should be more careful.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #4304 on: June 10, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Don't think Martinez was first choice or any higher or lower in the pecking order than any other potential candidate.

My take is that 9 days ago Randy identified a range of candidates some of whom would be in post. Those in post he contacted by the correct means of approaching their chairman. That list may have included Moyes, and Kenright may have rejected the request but chose not to blab all over the media about it. Martinez was just another candidate whose chairman we approached and who subsequently wanted to play the billybigbollocks.

Either way Martinez was just one of a number of candidates which Randy will have identified and sounded out to confirm those who are interested before moving on to a final decision process. Maybe Randy is in Corsica speaking to other, actually interested, candidates right now.  Whatever the situation I don't think the final appointee should be seen in any way as coming second to Martinez.  I very much doubt that Randy is working down an ever decreasing list.  Yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal