collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ciaran Clark - now gone  (Read 118322 times)

Offline Aston Villa

Re: Ciaran Clark
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »
Pretty sure I read Dunne isn't back until the new year.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2012, 02:25:35 AM »
The Pie Muncher might be back before 2013, might, unless he eats too many eclairs and falls down the stairs in a sugar induced coma.
"It's still niggly with this groin problem at the minute. It's a pain which is just not going away. I was speaking to Richard the other day and he was upbeat.

"It's a shame actually because he wants to get back. He's with the medical team at the minute and getting the best attention there. It's just a bit frustrating at the minute.

"I certainly hope he's available for us this year. We just need to get to the bottom of it to see what's wrong."

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2012, 03:13:49 AM »
The Pie Muncher might be back before 2013, might, unless he eats too many eclairs and falls down the stairs in a sugar induced coma.
"It's still niggly with this groin problem at the minute. It's a pain which is just not going away. I was speaking to Richard the other day and he was upbeat.

"It's a shame actually because he wants to get back. He's with the medical team at the minute and getting the best attention there. It's just a bit frustrating at the minute.

"I certainly hope he's available for us this year. We just need to get to the bottom of it to see what's wrong."

Do you actually think the pie muncher is someone who will not improve the squad, if not the team? Personally, I think he would do both if motivated

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2012, 05:02:57 PM »
Surprised it's taking so long to get back, he rarely gets injured and is usually a quick healer when injured as he got back from his dislocated shoulder against Man. City in 10 weeks.

For all his faults, he is still a decent organiser so I think Vlaar or Clark would benefit from that.

Offline peter w

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »
Dunne should be back shortly to compete for a place with Clark surely?

That's what I mean but didn't really expand on it as I was talking about Vlaar but on the Clark thread. I quite like the idea of Vlaar and Dunne together. It'll take a lot of pressure from Vlaar and he'll get his positioning better next to a centre-half who very rarely gets his positioning wrong under the high ball.

Offline tolstoy08

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 11:01:23 AM »
Dunne should be back shortly to compete for a place with Clark surely?

That's what I mean but didn't really expand on it as I was talking about Vlaar but on the Clark thread. I quite like the idea of Vlaar and Dunne together. It'll take a lot of pressure from Vlaar and he'll get his positioning better next to a centre-half who very rarely gets his positioning wrong under the high ball.

I agree, Dunne's positioning is a major strength of his game and this should improve Vlaar, who occasionally has looked a bit lost when we've been under pressure (e.g. Southampton). I'd be a bit worried about the Dunne/Vlaar combo getting caught out for pace against the better teams. However, I suppose this is no more the case than when we had Dunne/Collins in there and if you read the game well enough is not such a big problem.

I think someone mentioned on another thread the possibility of going 3-5-2, which might address this, as well as perhaps taking the pressure off Clark and tightening up the midfield until we get someone with a bit more physical presence in there. I guess you need several fit centre backs before you can try this though!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:13:13 AM by tolstoy08 »

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
I think someone mentioned on another thread the possibility of going 3-5-2, which might address this, as well as perhaps taking the pressure off Clark and tightening up the midfield until we get someone with a bit more physical presence in there. I guess you need several fit centre backs before you can try this though!

Well we have Baker who can come in plus Lichaj, besides CB do not generally need resting.  I think the formation could suit us but I'd wait to see what the state of Dunne's mind and midriff  is first.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
Left out of the Ireland team for tomorrow night. Darren O'Dea starts again after a woeful performance v. Germany. Unbelievable.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
Left out of the Ireland team for tomorrow night. Darren O'Dea starts again after a woeful performance v. Germany. Unbelievable.

I've never head of this Darren O'Dea, i had to google him. At least it keeps Clark fresh for our game at the weekend.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »
Darren O'Dea is a terrible terrible player.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2012, 10:09:51 PM »
Trap is very loyal to his misfits over the years. Keith Andrews and Glen Whelan have been the first choice midfield for yonks, despite never playing a minute of premier league football St Ledger has always played and I believe Paul Green was included in the euro squad when he didn't even have a club side!

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2012, 10:15:49 PM »

Good, we cannot afford to have him injured.

Offline peter w

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
Is Darren O'Dea still with that bird from Hearsay?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
I'd rather Clark didn't play. We need him. Fuck Ireland.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2013, 12:58:39 PM »
I'm a little unsure on Clark now but then again centre half has always been a position where aside from exceptional exceptions, most mature as they get towards their 30s.

I agree Vlaar and Clark does need much more time together but it's looked pretty ropey to me so far and I worry we're still weak against the high ball as we've conceded a few goals already this season from this.

Soccer posted this in October. A full 4 months later, and for me Clark has got worse and worse this season in the big moments. He did a lot well yesterday, read the play, got his head on crosses etc, but in the big moments of the game was found wanting. For me Baker and Vlaar should be given a go together next week, as if we though Anichebe and Fellatio hurt us yesterday, Andy Carroll will make them look like small children.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal