collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:22:22 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Gabby Appreciation Thread - Update: 4 year deal  (Read 217825 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: The Gabby Appreciation Thread - Update: 4 year deal
« Reply #990 on: October 19, 2014, 07:59:45 PM »
Another shit performance today. But hey.. he's a Villas fan, so that's okay then. Awful player, we need someone with a football brain up front.
He does seem to get away with it a bit. He's been awful for about 5 years now. And he keeps getting rewarded with places in the starting eleven, and a new deal. It's a true, sad reflection of where we're at now.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #991 on: October 19, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »
Just noticed how much Gabby resembles Kevin Rowland of Dexy's fame.  Uncanny.

Offline supertom

« Reply #992 on: October 19, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »
Another shit performance today. But hey.. he's a Villas fan, so that's okay then. Awful player, we need someone with a football brain up front.
He does seem to get away with it a bit. He's been awful for about 5 years now. And he keeps getting rewarded with places in the starting eleven, and a new deal. It's a true, sad reflection of where we're at now.
I'm not sure he's getting rewarded with a place in the starting 11. I just don't think we have anyone better. But yes, that in itself is a sad reflection of where we're at. Generally we look even worse without Gabby, purely because no one else can offer the same sort of pace he has.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #993 on: October 19, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
I'm not sure he's getting rewarded with a place in the starting 11. I just don't think we have anyone better. But yes, that in itself is a sad reflection of where we're at. Generally we look even worse without Gabby, purely because no one else can offer the same sort of pace he has.

When he can be arsed.

The fact we are all so taken by a player as utterly mediocre as Gabby says it all these days.

He's far from the worst player we have, but he's an absolute poster boy for the mediocrity we've settled for - lives on past glories, does fuck all week after week, picks up contract after contract, effortlessly.

Offline supertom

« Reply #994 on: October 19, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »

When he can be arsed.

The fact we are all so taken by a player as utterly mediocre as Gabby says it all these days.

He's far from the worst player we have, but he's an absolute poster boy for the mediocrity we've settled for - lives on past glories, does fuck all week after week, picks up contract after contract, effortlessly.
Can't disagree with that. Since O Neill left he's been dire aside from 4 months in Lamberts first season and a couple of months early in McLeish's reign.
I think he's looking a bit podgy too. He's not got the stamina to go on as many surging runs as he used to.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #995 on: October 19, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »

When he can be arsed.

Can't disagree with that. Since O Neill left he's been dire aside from 4 months in Lamberts first season and a couple of months early in McLeish's reign.
I think he's looking a bit podgy too. He's not got the stamina to go on as many surging runs as he used to.

He looks like he has the same between-games refuelling routine Bent does.

Bent looks increasingly like the bloke out of Fresh Prince of Bel Air, the one who isn't Will Smith.

An absolute chancer who has clearly decided to sit back and kerching it in till the end of his contract. What a waste.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #996 on: October 19, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »
He looks like he has the same between-games refuelling routine Bent does.

Bent looks increasingly like the bloke out of Fresh Prince of Bel Air, the one who isn't Will Smith.

An absolute chancer who has clearly decided to sit back and kerching it in till the end of his contract. What a waste.

Tatyana Ali?

Offline supertom

« Reply #997 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:29 PM »
We've got a few chub-a-lubs in the squad. Bent's looking a bit pie-tastic. Zogbia needs to shed a few pounds. Gabby's had a few too many happy meals too.
On the flipside I felt Weimann could have lost a bit of weight last season, and he looks like he shed half a stone over the summer to be fair to him. He's a hard working boy so whilst he's incredibly limited as a player, I'd put him in the side over any of the above at the moment.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #998 on: October 19, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »
We've got a few chub-a-lubs in the squad. Bent's looking a bit pie-tastic. Zogbia needs to shed a few pounds. Gabby's had a few too many happy meals too.

I blame Grant Holt for leaving his Greggs loyalty card at BH.

Offline supertom

« Reply #999 on: October 19, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »

I blame Grant Holt for leaving his Greggs loyalty card at BH.
Holt shed a fair bit of weight in the summer apparently. Posted a few pictures on tweeter of his new found six pack (bastard). So he obviously did forget his Greggs loyalty card.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1000 on: October 19, 2014, 10:15:45 PM »

I have mentioned this several times in the past. I used to live in Brighton where KR was living at the time, and once I rolled out of a dubious establishment on Preston Street at around 6am in the morning and the Dexy was striding down the hill, thin as a rake as fit as fiddle and I was sure it was Gabby. Admittedly, drugs had been taken.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1001 on: October 19, 2014, 11:36:40 PM »

I have mentioned this several times in the past. I used to live in Brighton where KR was living at the time, and once I rolled out of a dubious establishment on Preston Street at around 6am in the morning and the Dexy was striding down the hill, thin as a rake as fit as fiddle and I was sure it was Gabby. Admittedly, drugs had been taken.

Dexy's by any chance?

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1002 on: October 20, 2014, 12:07:30 AM »
I don't understand why someone at the club can't tell the miserable looking (and sounding) barstud to calm down with the protein. Although it amuses me when someone bounces off him, being Johnny Tonk will only contribute more to losing that 'yard of pace'.

I hope when he retires he becomes one of those after dinner speakers. I would genuinely love that.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1003 on: October 20, 2014, 01:26:42 AM »

Dexy's by any chance?

The same class of thing, Percey.

Offline Isa

« Reply #1004 on: October 20, 2014, 06:34:04 PM »
I genuinely don't believe that another player (who wasn't considered a club hero) would've got the same deal had they performed to the standard Gabby has in recent times.

You're missing another significant point.  This is not just about how good gabby is, it's also about protecting our asset.  Had we let his contract expire we would have got zero.  Based on last summer's transfers he's probably worth in excess of £10m.  Even more if we had to buy a replacement.

And you're missing the most significant point of all, namely that he is one of our highest earners and thus is a financial burden, not an asset. Not that any other club would pay anywhere near £10m for him anyway but most importantly they would not be idiotic enough to match the wages we pay for such a mediocre and inconsistant player (or consistantly crap, I should say). He is a total waste of space but we've allowed ourselves to be duped into being stuck with him for another four years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal