collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 03:47:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:47:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by villadelph
[Today at 03:46:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 03:46:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:46:43 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by supertom
[Today at 03:46:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:46:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:46:00 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How big a derby is Coventry for us Villa fans?  (Read 48055 times)

Offline Blackcountry Villa

Re: How big a derby is Coventry for us Villa fans?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
Albion hate Wolves, but only really dislike us.

Wolves really hate Albion, Albion did really hate Villa but got a bit distracted by Wolves along the way.
A lot of the older Albion fans hate Villa, whereas their younger fans tend to hate Wolves more. It's because they grew up with Albion and Wolves in the same division and were always playing each other.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
I think Coventry is one of those places which suffers an identity crisis straddling the west and east midlands. (A bit like Stoke not knowing if its in the midlands or the north) They will direct hatred in our direction but we dont think of them as rivals as we have closer neighbours. I am sure they also direct antipathy towards Leicester City, but Leicester being clearly east midlands probably views Derby and Forest as their main rivals. Leicester may for all I know debate 'Cov syndrome` in similar terms to us, from their perspective Coventry is a small town on the edge of Birmingham. Whereas we see it as somewhere you pass on the way to a day in London.
Im sure the hatred on their part isnt universal, the worst excesses may well be encouraged by a lunatic fringe of Nuneaton Borough fans who are the Millwall of non league circles.

Do they ever direct hatred towards Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Dortmund etc. ? Even if your not old enough to remember the Luftwaffe bombing the crap out of where you  live, you still as a result are surrounded by probably some of the worst 1960s architecture anywhere in Britain.

Offline eastie

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 07:20:50 PM »
The fact they never beat us from 1937 home or away in over 50 years I'm sure made them see us as a team they were desperate to beat and being beaten home and away so many times in the 70s and 80s I'm sure added to their woes.

To them it's a huge game but to us it's not that big a deal.

Offline luke25

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »
Surely any Villa-hater (Blues or Cov) is an enemy to us Villa fans?

Why? You'd need to be pretty small-minded or bitter to go through life with that attitude?

My ex hates me... whereas I only ever wish her health and happiness.

And I bet that makes her hate you even more, well played mate!

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
Who?

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »
I think Coventry is one of those places which suffers an identity crisis straddling the west and east midlands. (A bit like Stoke not knowing if its in the midlands or the north) They will direct hatred in our direction but we dont think of them as rivals as we have closer neighbours. I am sure they also direct antipathy towards Leicester City, but Leicester being clearly east midlands probably views Derby and Forest as their main rivals. Leicester may for all I know debate 'Cov syndrome` in similar terms to us, from their perspective Coventry is a small town on the edge of Birmingham. Whereas we see it as somewhere you pass on the way to a day in London.
Im sure the hatred on their part isnt universal, the worst excesses may well be encouraged by a lunatic fringe of Nuneaton Borough fans who are the Millwall of non league circles.

Do they ever direct hatred towards Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Dortmund etc. ? Even if your not old enough to remember the Luftwaffe bombing the crap out of where you  live, you still as a result are surrounded by probably some of the worst 1960s architecture anywhere in Britain.

Just spoken to a Leicester supporting mate of mine, he feels Forest is their biggest derby followed by Derby.  He sees Cov as a West Mids club!! However he said his Leicester supporting mates from Hinckley/Nuneaton see Cov as the main event.  He then said everyone from Hinckley and Nuneaton is an inbred so no-one listens to them anyway.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
Coventry City should be universally dispised for no other reason than causing a Monty Python sketch to become dated.
Their winning of the FA Cup in 1987 had the same effect as if Spam had been banned.

Offline charlie659

• Brian Little walks on water - FACT
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
Can't fkin stand 'em, worked with them and lived amongst them and they're as bad as noses.
I always enjoy playing and beating them, third in line behind dog shit & olbiyun.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 07:07:48 AM »
Who?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »
I grew up in Nuneaton - Cov are scum on the whole. (Maybe) like noses, you'll know individual ones that are alright, probably have mates that are Cov fans. But as a club, their disproportionate hatred towards Villa and their bitter nastyness, based on their inferiority complex just makes you dislike them - whether you see them as rivals, or not. They're like a Blues mini-me

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
As others have said "Who"

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
Won't Get Fooled Again to post another Who? answer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 07:10:57 AM by *shellac* »

Offline peter w

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
We should actually just say to them that whilst we know they hate us, we actually quite like them. that'd wind them up no end. I'm starting my, 'Lets love Coventry club'. Who's in?

Offline luke25

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
We should actually just say to them that whilst we know they hate us, we actually quite like them. that'd wind them up no end. I'm starting my, 'Lets love Coventry club'. Who's in?
I like it, they already think were patronising bastards, we should start up a 'Pat a Coventry fan on the head campaign'.

Offline peter w

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
Why not just go up to them and give them a hug?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal