collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 12:56:52 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:56:47 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:56:00 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Chris Harte
[Today at 12:54:21 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 12:53:20 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 12:52:27 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:52:26 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 12:49:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: David Moyes - A.K.A - Gollum  (Read 28973 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: David Moyes - A.K.A - Gollum
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
Moyes would be a safe predicable option.  Boring.

Disagree Tony, Moyes would be a breath of fresh air at VP.

He is relatively young still and knows how to create a decent team on not a lot of money.

Perfect I'd say.

Said this the other day, but even his biggest achilles heel - inability to buy a decent striker (which sounds familiar from recent times) - wouldn't be an issue, as we've just bought a very good, extremely expensive one.

He'd probably sell him and buy Beattie to replace him.

I think he could do a decent job but I have an aversion to that whole dour persona that he has perfected and which is reflected in his teams that are hard working and functional but not that much fun to watch.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »

He is relatively young still and knows how to create a decent team on not a lot of money.

Perfect I'd say.

Said this the other day, but even his biggest achilles heel - inability to buy a decent striker (which sounds familiar from recent times) - wouldn't be an issue, as we've just bought a very good, extremely expensive one.

He's bought some good strikers in Saha and Yakubu, it's just that injuries got the better of them.  I tell you what though, in terms of buying cheap and getting value for money Moyes is pretty decent.  Cahill, Pienaar, Arteta and Jagielka all bought relatively cheaply.  Even Leighton Baines, who while not exactly cheap at £6m is now being touted for a £10m plus move in the summer.  Compare that to all the expensive dross currently infesting our squad.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »

Perfect I'd say.

He'd probably sell him and buy Beattie to replace him.

I think he could do a decent job but I have an aversion to that whole dour persona that he has perfected and which is reflected in his teams that are hard working and functional but not that much fun to watch.

Arteta, Fellatio, Cahill ?

To name buy 3 who would provide more entertainment than any of our 'like for like' players.

Offline Risso

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
I have an aversion to that whole dour persona that he has perfected and which is reflected in his teams that are hard working and functional but not that much fun to watch.

Oh Christopher Smith, sometimes you just make it too, too easy! ;)

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »
I know it would seem unachievable at the moment, and I havent given up on Houllier entirely although I can understand that others have, but I'd still like Hiddink. Weshould have gone for him when Randy took over. That's who I wanted then, who I wanted in September and who I'd like now.

Yes, he's a top manager but with no disrespect to Turkey, it's not like it's a top job so we could maybe entice him. That's best case scenario.
I'd still like to see where the Houllier adventure takes us though, (I dont think we're going down) otherwise Moyes would be fine. I do like Coyle too.

Offline Risso

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
I know it would seem unachievable at the moment, and I havent given up on Houllier entirely although I can understand that others have, but I'd still like Hiddink. Weshould have gone for him when Randy took over. That's who I wanted then, who I wanted in September and who I'd like now.

Yes, he's a top manager but with no disrespect to Turkey, it's not like it's a top job so we could maybe entice him. That's best case scenario.
I'd still like to see where the Houllier adventure takes us though, (I dont think we're going down) otherwise Moyes would be fine. I do like Coyle too.

Well, you've been banging on for Bent for most of the last four years, and we ended up with him, so who knows when it comes to Hiddink?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
I have an aversion to that whole dour persona that he has perfected and which is reflected in his teams that are hard working and functional but not that much fun to watch.

I thought the same but as it's only Monday thought best to leave him in peace.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
Arteta, Fellatio, Cahill ?

Nevile, Nevile, Neville.

I'm not suggesting that they don't have decent players but I doubt anyone outside of Goodison has ever thought "Everton are on the box today, I'm really lookimg forward to seeing them".

He's a good manager, I think he could do a good job for us but let us not pretend he's something that he isn't. His sides are hard working and effective but are at the no frills end of the market. That might change given a bigger budget but I doubt it as I think they reflect his personality.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »

Well, you've been banging on for Bent for most of the last four years, and we ended up with him, so who knows when it comes to Hiddink?

Good point. If you figure that I wanted Bent when he was at Ipswich we should get Hiddink in.... two years.
Then Andy Carroll in 2015.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »

Martin O'Neill might be lots of things but you could not accuse him of being dour. Similarly he didn't pack his sides with 5 across the middle. I accept that we were very direct under him but that's not the same as being attritional which is how I see Everton.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »
Why would Moyes leave Everton ?
Arent they just waiting for a rich Russian/Arab/Yank to pile in

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »

Good point. If you figure that I wanted Bent when he was at Ipswich we should get Hiddink in.... two years.
Then Andy Carroll in 2015.
And Carlton Cole this summer. (shudders)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
Is this just another thread where oodman is saying that he wants Houllier out?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:42:23 PM by Phil from the upper holte »

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
Anyways I don't want Moyes I'd rather watch paint dry than listen to him

Online Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
I think Moyes has proven himself when it comes to buying midfielders and defenders, but although I can understand the strikers bit, lets not forget these are the players that cost the most money an he has had to work on a relatively limited budget at Everton.  His sides are a bit 'workman like', but again the flair missing comes at a premium he may not be able to afford and he's still managed to get a few good footballers through the door.

Should Gezza go he's by far the best of the domestic candidates, IMO.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal