collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 03:30:06 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 03:30:06 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 03:26:32 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 03:24:02 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by olaftab
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: "Outrage" at discount for Poles at Bath City  (Read 20986 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: 0% Villa: "Outrage" at discount for Poles at Bath City
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »
BE and Darren, you're both warned.
I beg your pardon? I didn't know I had overstepped any lines.

Have you checked your punctuation?

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2011, 02:28:41 PM »
Good post Slaphead.

Pronounce it Schechin.

Proper pronounciation would be Shchechin

Offline Namlod

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
So can I just confirm most on this site would find it perfectly acceptable if our club were to offer a one off discount, say 50%, to all English citizens? Anyone born outside of England can pay the full price as they are not English! 

Sorry, it just sounds a little bit wrong to me but heay ho, go with the flow.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
So can I just confirm most on this site would find it perfectly acceptable if our club were to offer a one off discount, say 50%, to all English citizens? Anyone born outside of England can pay the full price as they are not English! 

No you can't confirm it. Remind me what nationality the person is who owns the club?

Offline Namlod

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »
My point is, is it acceptable to allow any one country a discount but not others?

It seems it is acceptable to allow the Polish a discount (and it may well be) but would everyone feel the same if the discount was offered just to English people?

Just a question.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »
My point is, is it acceptable to allow any one country a discount but not others?

It seems it is acceptable to allow the Polish a discount (and it may well be) but would everyone feel the same if the discount was offered just to English people?

Just a question.

If a team outside of England did it, yes, I'd agree. It would be trying to get the local English along to watch their local Polish, German, French team.

This thing is aimed specifically at getting a sizeable local community involved.

We'll get the usual yawn-fest about St Patrick's day and St George's Day next.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »
dużych Cappacino.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »

Had a similar post to this on the Tamworth forum thread on this.
My answer would be that it wouldn't achieve anything because nearly all football fans in this country are English, or at least hold British passports even if they were born outside the country, so as a scheme to involve a group of fans who normally wouldn't watch the club it would be a waste of time.
I'd like to see how the Daily Heil would report it though.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »

I bet the Poles weren't moaning about being put into stands where alcohol was being sold.

That's just clicked with me after reading Slaphead's post. So obscure it sounded insulting! But not. To me anyway.

To make things clear: it was a  "Hurr, hurr! Poles like a drink or two, don't they?"* comment/lazy stereotype, and an inter-textual reference to when the Villa invited members of the local community to VP and we subsequently had the discussion on here about whether or not they should/should not have placed Muslims in stands where halal/non-halal and soft drinks/alcohol were/weren't being served with the usual "PC gorn mad"/"we must respect other cultures" battle lines being drawn.

I didn't think for a minute it was going to raise eyebrows.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »
didn't like the way Villa changed certain things when inviting the local Asian community to watch us play

I've no problemn with you raising your issues about this but you have to start from a factual basis

Villa didn't invite local Asians to a game at Villa Park. They invited all local residents to a game. My Brother in law and nephew took advantage of the offer.

And fair play to Villa for doing it, I reckon.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »

Just a question.

I guess the logic behind it would be a one-off fairly sizeable discount wouldn't necessarily generate more English support outside of the individual game in question.

But a one off big discount that targets -and mentions in the press that it is specifically aimed at-  the Polish/Pakistani/ Bangladeshi community might introduce them to their local club, make them feel part of the community and *might* result in more coming back and swelling the gate on a longer term basis.

I could have got that completely wrong though.

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »

Just a question.
didn't like the way Villa changed certain things when inviting the local Asian community to watch us play

I've no problemn with you raising your issues about this but you have to start from a factual basis

Villa didn't invite local Asians to a game at Villa Park. They invited all local residents to a game. My Brother in law and nephew took advantage of the offer.

And fair play to Villa for doing it, I reckon.

It would be naive to think that the offer wasn't aimed at the local Asian community. If Bath invited the local area that happened to be mainly Polish then I don't think there would be as much controversy.

Just a question.

I agree with this post although this is football, every club wants/needs to raise their attendances. In the lower leagues money is less harder to come by so while it may be unethical so invite a certain race to get a discount (why were Indians, Chinese and Albanians not given this offer) it does make good buisiness sense. The Polish have a likelyhood to reattend as football is their national sport.

If the average attendance rises by a hundered because of this then it would be huge for a team like bath.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Named, Slaphead do you a problem with clubs making offers like this? As far as I can see it is a purely commercial decision trying to encourage people who don't usually attend to go to games. The fact that they have a different ethnicity is incidental.

It's like a supermarket offering stuff cheap as a loss leader to get people into the shop

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Did you actualy read what I wrote? I think I explained myself very well, read and you will see you don't need to actualy ask that questions.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »
Did you actualy read what I wrote? I think I explained myself very well, read and you will see you don't need to actualy ask that questions.

Yes you did, sorry my fault, it was a bit of a clumsily worded post. I agree with a lot of what you said except for the bit about not doing anything specific to make people feel more welcome. It's like when you invite people to your house, you make an effort to make them feel at home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal